Author Topic: Birthday bike  (Read 2889 times)

Birthday bike
« on: 16 April, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »
My 40th birthday is approaching and it has been suggested that I might be interested in a new bike. Well, yes, now you mention it, I might;D

I'm pretty happy with what I've got for road (audax and pootle) and commuting. What I've had the odd daydream about lately is a new mountain bike for days out on the south downs (my Trek 3700 is more commute these days) which can also double up as an off-road tourer - S24O and longer off-road and mixed rides. Quite a lot of my idea of touring involves stuff that is off road, so this seems to make sense.

I don't have a lot of history with different MTBs or tourers, so I'd like to check my thinking. I suspect I'll bung a number of questions in here, sorry.

So, first: I think I'd like disc brakes. But to do the touring end I'd want a rack. There seem to be three ways round this:
1) Bikes with a chainstay mounted rear disc caliper, the On-One inbred being the one I've spotted in my price range. Any others?
2) Racks with different mount points, such as the Topeak Super Tourist.
3) Cantis and an standard rack aren't that bad, especially at the back. Get on with it.

I quite like option 1 as a good design solution. However, I think some folk here do option 2. Any thoughts on how they compare in practice?

I've kind-of ruled out a cross bike as few have the gearing I'd want; 29ers as too pricey; and straight tourers as not really ideal for the most frequent use of being a mountain bike. I'm thinking On-One Inbred, Genesis Latitude, Orange G. Not cyclescheme but £1000 is my limit, either self-assemble (with help where I don't have the tools) or off the shelf and £150-200 for changes to contact points and adding rack, computer etc. Any other suggestions for XC type short-travel hardtails with rack mounts that I really ought to look at?

Re: Birthday bike
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2011, 09:55:39 pm »
I had an inbred for a bit, it was a size too big and when I gave up trying to make it fit and changed it, I went for the scandal frame instead and its **so** much better..  feels much more lively, responsive, lighter, nicer to ride, but I'm not sure if either have rack mounts (both are 29ers, but I guess all the same applies to 26" sizes)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2011, 10:04:15 pm »
Tubus do a set of brackets and whatnot that allow you to use their racks on disc-equipped bikes:

Spares and Accessories | tubus

I use the "Extension part for rear carriers" on my Surly 1x1 to lift the rack clear of the disc calipers - works a treat, especially since the QR mounting method isn't a go-er with a hub gear. I had no problems fitting a low-rider rack to the front, either, again using the Tubus mounting clamps (1x1 fork doesn't have rack eyes)

The end result is here:

Surly 1x1 - a set on Flickr

And by pure coincidence, it was ready in time for my 40th birthday :)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2011, 10:19:36 pm »
On one, now whats the question.

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2011, 01:59:46 pm »
Right, I think the on-one inbred.
I decided against the scandal as it was too pink, although I think a rack would be doable.
I didn't fancy the racks with extensions to bodge around a disc when I think there's a nicer solution.
Thanks Lynx - its hard to imagine a clearer response!

I think I've also decided to go the assemble myself route, as I think that might be fun - although pushing my knowledge a bit. I'll get bottom bracket and headset done for me though.

My plan isn't too bling, but I hope will be fun, and fit for my uses:
 - tora / recon fork with remote lockout
 - deore transmission
 - avid elixir 3 / deore disc brakes ... I've seen mixed reviews though, so I'm not sure about this
 - b17 saddle
 - titec jones j bar - which looks like it might be more comfortable than a normal mtb bar. I'm hoping the gap at the front is wide enough for my bar bag.
 - decent wheels
 - if I've got cash for one better spec anywhere it will probably be crankset, hubs and rims

However ... on-one are doing an SLX standard build / kit. This ticks most of the above wish list, but I've got reservations:
 - chains and cassettes for 10 speed are more expensive
 - I end up with a few bits that I don't really want as I do saddle, bars etc - but the price comes out as similar either way
 - I've got no idea whether the on-one wheels are a good buy

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:32:18 pm »
Definite thumbs up for the Deore M595 disc brakes.
Got 'em on the Surly and once the pads are bedded in there's no shortage of stopping power. The levers have adjustable reach and a really positive feel to them (ie. grab a handful of brake and shit *will* happen)

Nothing wrong with the Deore cranks either, although the lifetime of the chainrings seems to be wildly variable going by what I've read on here. I don't know myself, since I invariably ditch them and use TA or Middleburn rings instead.

Fitting a bottom-bracket is fairly straightforward, although I would get the headset done by a friendly LBS.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:00:44 pm »
Another :thumbsup: for the Deore 595 brakes (tho' my rear one needs bleeding).  SLX have the servo-wave thing that seems to increase pad clearance/travel.

Don't think that the Jones bar will leave enough space for a bar bag - the distance between the tips of the forward extensions is only 6-8" or so.  Can measure tonight if you want.  Definitely very comfy, though obviously subjective.

The ready built Scandal 29er is an absolute bargain (if you can see past the colour, though the green is nice) - they're going to be introducing a new model soon, I think so these'll be cheap for a while.

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2011, 04:00:26 pm »
Shame about the size (a measure would be great) ... I need 25cm for my bag, but they looked really good from the pictures of your bike chris - I'm finding horizontal bars make my hands ache more than drops so was hoping to get that sort of hand position somehow.

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2011, 04:06:02 pm »
On-One Mary Handlebar £29.99

Pretty much the same primary hand position as the Jones, but space for a bar bag.  Would work better on a 26" wheeled frame too, as the rise works well with the lower front end.

« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »
On-One Mary Handlebar £29.99

Pretty much the same primary hand position as the Jones, but space for a bar bag.  Would work better on a 26" wheeled frame too, as the rise works well with the lower front end.

They looked a bit short on space to put bar bag brackets, maybe they'd just squeeze either side of the stem.

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 20 April, 2011, 07:12:42 pm »
Jones bar: the tips are 20cm apart and extend 8cm from the front of the horizontal section.

« Reply #11 on: 20 April, 2011, 07:14:26 pm »
The new On One carbon 29er frame is looking very good........

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 20 April, 2011, 07:45:02 pm »
Been thinking about the 29er vs 26er thing.  I've got a rigid (carbon forked) Inbred 29er that I've been riding for about a year - Cannock Chase, Mid Wales and local bridleways - and never really thought 'I wish I had a suspension fork'.  The combination of big wheels with a 2.4" tyre and long carbon forks really seems to take the sting out of the ride.  What you save by ditching the suspension fork you can put towards the wheels - they're not that much more expensive.  I built my wheels for about £250, including tyres and tubes.

You don't need to go for the On One carbon fork either (though at £140 it's less than I paid) - the Salsa 29er fork is £90.

« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2011, 08:45:54 pm »
Jones bar: the tips are 20cm apart and extend 8cm from the front of the horizontal section.

Thanks, but gah - my arkel bag mounts only go 5cm out.

« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2011, 09:32:19 pm »
I've been round and round the 26 vs 29 choice in my head and I think either would work for me. I think your comment confirms that, thanks. It looks like 29er inbreds are out of stock for months, even if I can make it work for about the same money. The scandal doesn't have rack mounts, so I've ruled that out and carbon is well out of budget.

« Reply #15 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:01:48 pm »
I've ordered it and all the immediate bits  ;D
The ready made 26" SLX option was too good a deal not to take in the end, with Mary bars and a few tweaks, having had some helpful and quick exchange of email with on-one and advice from you (thanks).

...and the first extra bits have arrived.

<arthur pewty>
I'm a mountain biker ... I've got a chainstay guard.
</arthur pewty>