Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356282 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1925 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:24:32 am »
Aye. I'm over the hike-a-bike though, really looking forward to some road rides. Although I am planning a MTB jolly on Thursday :facepalm:

And all those holes in East Anglia are begging to be filled....

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1926 on: 16 May, 2021, 04:05:56 pm »
Excellent work, fboab! Seriously impressed.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1927 on: 16 May, 2021, 05:17:02 pm »
Hm, fboab has me wondering what's more feasible, filling in the Midland Valley or joining the 7 cities.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1928 on: 16 May, 2021, 06:58:56 pm »

So damn close. I even checked on my phone with the explorer app.

Even so, a 52km ride, bought me upto:

10887 tiles
Max square 24x24
Max Cluster: 1337

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Davef

« Reply #1929 on: 16 May, 2021, 07:34:46 pm »

Even so, a 52km ride, bought me upto:

10887 tiles
Max square 24x24

J
Probably best to record the track on the same device you are using to check whether you have crossed a tile boundary. I use the garmin for both. Had you been recording on say strava  app on your phone and checking tile crossing on the phone tile app I suspect all would be good.

citoyen

« Reply #1930 on: 16 May, 2021, 07:38:58 pm »

Having done that myself a few times, I feel your pain.

« Reply #1931 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:01:45 pm »
Hm, fboab has me wondering what's more feasible, filling in the Midland Valley or joining the 7 cities

I filled in the gap between Cupar, Balmullo and Strathkinness today, meaning my cluster has reached St Andrews and Tayport.

One of my projects is to move the cluster Westwards from Loch Venachar to Arrochar.  To do this I need to

1) Ride the Great Trossachs trail from Kilmahog to Inversnaid + the S side of Loch Katrine.
2) Climb Ben Venue and Beinn a'Choin
3) SUP the south side of Loch Arklet.
4) Do what looks like a short and simple ride to link Inversnaid and Arrochar

Reaching the West Coast by doing the Central Belt through Glasgow is probably a lot easier, but a lot less fun.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1932 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:23:24 pm »
Probably best to record the track on the same device you are using to check whether you have crossed a tile boundary. I use the garmin for both. Had you been recording on say strava  app on your phone and checking tile crossing on the phone tile app I suspect all would be good.

I normally solve this problem by going a good distance into the tile, just to be sure. Which I thought I had done enough of in this case. Turns out, not. Ah well, it's close enough to a few other tiles I need so not a major issue.

J
--

« Reply #1933 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:14:48 am »
Hm, fboab has me wondering what's more feasible, filling in the Midland Valley or joining the 7 cities

I filled in the gap between Cupar, Balmullo and Strathkinness today, meaning my cluster has reached St Andrews and Tayport.

One of my projects is to move the cluster Westwards from Loch Venachar to Arrochar.  To do this I need to

1) Ride the Great Trossachs trail from Kilmahog to Inversnaid + the S side of Loch Katrine.
2) Climb Ben Venue and Beinn a'Choin
3) SUP the south side of Loch Arklet.
4) Do what looks like a short and simple ride to link Inversnaid and Arrochar

Reaching the West Coast by doing the Central Belt through Glasgow is probably a lot easier, but a lot less fun.

Over here in the west Arrochar is classed as inland  :demon: The sea lochs ,lochs and hills are a major problem extending the cluster west to the coast >:(. Ayrshire and Galloway are the only easy options.

« Reply #1934 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:15:43 am »
Continuing my Vale of White Horse mini-project, I've managed to complete the north-eastern quadrant (nearest my house!). This weekend I got the north-western tip around Lechlade, and hacked up a very grotty restricted byway to push up my max square to 11x11 -- and I didn't even have a gravel bike...  Also pleased to manage my first 100k ride since (I think) the Upper Thames audax in 2012!!

298/140/11x11

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1935 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:04:14 pm »
Admit it, you missed that tile on purpose to get that number  ;D (linked for people lacking the nerd gene)

« Reply #1936 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:02:35 pm »

My Dorset project nears completion, and I managed to collect the Lulworth Range Tile!

« Reply #1937 on: 17 May, 2021, 03:35:28 pm »
Spent 6 days meandering along the central part of the Netherlands. My main cluster is now extended to Zwolle and only a few tiles away from Enschede. Also the Hague/Leiden are gettitting close to the main cluster.

« Reply #1938 on: 17 May, 2021, 05:25:08 pm »
Started collecting tiles properly in the first lockdown. Now upto 28x28 square and max cluster 1184.
It's a great excuse to go exploring.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

LFCC

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1939 on: 20 May, 2021, 08:31:22 pm »
Hmmm, using the heatmap to see how other people have got a particular tile, I find the following strava activity:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1343732799

Same user. Same line straight through a difficult to get tile, in the same area. Looking at the tile map for the user in question, their square includes these tiles, and these are the only two rides in those tiles.

Something doesn't quite add up here.

Well, using the ride every tile heat map to see how others had found a particular tile, I noticed someone had done the straight line trick with the gps "error" to bag the tile.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1280468490

And guess who it is... yep, same person. That's now three rides where he's used a gps error to bag otherwise hard to access tiles. Have reported it.

J
--

citoyen

« Reply #1940 on: 20 May, 2021, 08:49:16 pm »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1941 on: 20 May, 2021, 08:51:53 pm »
Have reported it.

Harsh.

But fair.  ;D

Given the rest of us carried bikes across muddy fields and climbed over fences to bag the tiles. It's taking the piss for him to cheat like this

J
--

« Reply #1942 on: 20 May, 2021, 10:17:25 pm »
Bumped my NA max cluster up to a massive 174 yesterday.  8)

This game is just not that fun here.

« Reply #1943 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:15:21 am »
Have reported it.

Harsh.

But fair.  ;D

Given the rest of us carried bikes across muddy fields and climbed over fences to bag the tiles. It's taking the piss for him to cheat like this

J

And he's hardly among the local top riders.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1944 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:22:26 am »
And he's hardly among the local top riders.

Exactly. It just looks like he doesn't want to get his feet dirty...

J
--

« Reply #1945 on: 21 May, 2021, 06:11:21 am »
Hmmm, using the heatmap to see how other people have got a particular tile, I find the following strava activity:

Same user. Same line straight through a difficult to get tile, in the same area. Looking at the tile map for the user in question, their square includes these tiles, and these are the only two rides in those tiles.

Well, using the ride every tile heat map to see how others had found a particular tile, I noticed someone had done the straight line trick with the gps "error" to bag the tile.

And guess who it is... yep, same person. That's now three rides where he's used a gps error to bag otherwise hard to access tiles. Have reported it.

J
That's excellent. How do I do it?

« Reply #1946 on: 21 May, 2021, 07:47:39 am »

J

It isn't really a gps error - he is taking advantage of a quirk(?) of VeloViewer.

There is still a discrepancy between the tiles bagged if you look at a ride in VV on its own:

or look at the same ride filtered from the activity page:

It looks like Ben still needs to sort this.

citoyen

« Reply #1947 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:25:11 am »
It isn't really a gps error - he is taking advantage of a quirk(?) of VeloViewer.

More a quirk of the way GPX track logging works in general, I think.

Pondering how Veloviewer (and Strava, for that matter) could fix this... I suppose it could look at the point sampling rate and not join two points where the time gap between them is above a certain threshold, but instead leave a gap in the track. Would that work?

« Reply #1948 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:42:53 am »
Have reported it.

Harsh.

But fair.  ;D

J

'Cheating themself'?  Arguably there is a sense in which vv tile bagging is simply a personal challenge, not a competition. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1949 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:43:15 am »
Wouldn't this be fixed if the owner of the ride opened it in veloviewer to properly calculate the tiles?
Eddington: 114 Miles