Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356302 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2025 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:44:54 pm »
I assume that you are complaining about the tiles on the straight line between Groenendaal and Hoenderloo.

I'm not convinced that it is 'cheating'.  It looks like the guy had a problem with his iPhone which is why he switched to Android for the last bit of his ride.

It also looks like Ben has updated the site so that the tiles obtained match whether you look at the ride itself or the activities tab filtered to the ride.   :thumbsup:    Looking at the guy's activity tab there are still three tiles that the straight line goes through that he is not being given credit for so I reckon that the problem is that the RideEveryTile.com heatmap needs updating.

« Reply #2026 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:49:40 pm »

Today I spent 10km rising gravel, and pushing my bike through deep sand. Looking at how others to the same tile, i had a look on the ride every tile site. One of the random 5 rides it picks is this one:

https://www.strava.com/activities/730779698

Can you be a bit more specific? I don't see anything particularly dodgy about that ride.

[I also spend my day with some comedy off-roading to capture the last two tiles in Drenthe (that's a province in the Netherlands, the one were I lived the first 18 years of my life). No regrets there, a beautiful piece of moorland where I enjoyed many walks with my dad as a kid. Tomorrow's ride should increase the square from 44x44 to 47x47.]

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2027 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:50:01 pm »
I assume that you are complaining about the tiles on the straight line between Groenendaal and Hoenderloo.

I'm not convinced that it is 'cheating'.  It looks like the guy had a problem with his iPhone which is why he switched to Android for the last bit of his ride.

It also looks like Ben has updated the site so that the tiles obtained match whether you look at the ride itself or the activities tab filtered to the ride.   :thumbsup:    Looking at the guy's activity tab there are still three tiles that the straight line goes through that he is not being given credit for so I reckon that the problem is that the RideEveryTile.com heatmap needs updating.

That's cos Ben fixed it for me within a few minutes of me emailing.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2028 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:55:37 pm »

Can you be a bit more specific? I don't see anything particularly dodgy about that ride.

[I also spend my day with some comedy off-roading to capture the last two tiles in Drenthe (that's a province in the Netherlands, the one were I lived the first 18 years of my life). No regrets there, a beautiful piece of moorland where I enjoyed many walks with my dad as a kid. Tomorrow's ride should increase the square from 44x44 to 47x47.]

the straight line between Groenendaal and Hoenderloo, there's no way to do that on the ground, there are too many fences in the way.

This is the second person I've seen doing this. I can't be certain it's 100% intentional, but given the 3 tiles it bags include one that has only been reached by 38 people, and involves a fenced off enclosure with all the gates bar one locked... And the faded sign that I've now realised said "no entry" in Dutch. But more on that when I have a proper keyboard.

Fortunately Ben is very fast to fix it when I email him.
J
--

« Reply #2029 on: 12 June, 2021, 09:24:41 pm »
I now see it. Where I live, there are many, many long straight roads. Therefore I didn't catch this anomaly... 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2030 on: 12 June, 2021, 09:51:03 pm »
I now see it. Where I live, there are many, many long straight roads. Therefore I didn't catch this anomaly...

https://www.strava.com/activities/5447973813

I experienced some of those on Thursday...

J
--

« Reply #2031 on: 12 June, 2021, 10:03:02 pm »

J

When you check the flyby's you can see who was cheating.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2032 on: 12 June, 2021, 10:48:08 pm »

Ah karma.

I noticed one tile where the road went through it, but veloviewer hadn't picked it up. So I loaded the route in the map view. Checked my total, and I went from 11121 to 11120... Fortunately, I should be in the area on Monday so can pick the tile up then..

J
--

« Reply #2033 on: 13 June, 2021, 07:55:56 pm »

J

I saw it, next time cycle a bit further to Spaak. They were serving a nice Pad Thai that evening (as well as their excellent selections of beers).

« Reply #2034 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:22:27 pm »

That's cos Ben fixed it for me within a few minutes of me emailing.

J

I've also removed this ride from contributing to the RET.com heatmap. If and when this ride gets re-imported to RET, it should be with correct tiles.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2035 on: 13 June, 2021, 09:22:49 pm »
I planned a ride along a track that was just inside the tile, and because it was on the map as being in the tile, and wasn't a dead end, I didn't bother to check on my phone I was in the tile...

Turns out the map position of that trail is about 10m south of where the trail is... So i traced a neat line just inside the next tile over. Oops...

Ah well, I'll just have to come back to the Veluwe for my rides... Tragic...
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2036 on: 13 June, 2021, 10:32:45 pm »

If you think force 3 headwinds are annoying on a bicycle, try it on open water in an inflatable canoe. Ugh 😅

Tiles +7
Cluster +20

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2037 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:39:01 am »
I've also removed this ride from contributing to the RET.com heatmap. If and when this ride gets re-imported to RET, it should be with correct tiles.
You may also want to take a look at tile 8377x5414 (Maasvlakte in Rotterdam); as far as I can tell everyone who bagged that tile did so by using the ferry. I don't think it's possible to walk/cycle into that tile and that harbour is for the truly gigantic container and oil transporters, so using a kayak will likely earn you a Darwin Award  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2038 on: 14 June, 2021, 12:26:34 pm »
You may also want to take a look at tile 8377x5414 (Maasvlakte in Rotterdam); as far as I can tell everyone who bagged that tile did so by using the ferry. I don't think it's possible to walk/cycle into that tile and that harbour is for the truly gigantic container and oil transporters, so using a kayak will likely earn you a Darwin Award  ;D

I noticed that one as well ... Quite a few have got it via the ferry...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2039 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:00:38 pm »

My 6 day mini holiday has had a bit of an impact on my stats.

It started off looking like this:

11009 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max cluster 1422

And it finished like this:

11158 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max Cluster: 1696

I did about 400km in total, in temps upto 32°C. It's started with a 200k to Groningen to finish my RRTY, then 3 days of filling in gaps around the Veluwe, then today rode from Arnhem to Hilversum to fill in the gaps and connect my Veluwe clump to the main cluster. I had one small issue with a faded sign on an unlocked gate, which I've since realised said "no entry" but in Dutch. I went into a compound, and found all the gates out of it were locked. This resulted in 10km of sand, gravel, and comedy off roading... And then came out the gate I'd gone in through. As I'm following the track back to the main road, a woman comes out of a drive way.

"have you come from the forest"

"Just to the gate and back" (technically true, just not saying which gate)

"This is a private road"

"That'll teach me for following Google maps"

"Yep, Google maps is useless, have a good ride"

This is the second time I've managed to blame Google maps for being where I shouldn't...

The next day I had a small issue that if you use the Strava heat map to pick a route, make sure it's not an MTB trail...

While following a MTB trail complete with berms and other such fun stuff, it turns out the trailer position on the earth does not match the map, and I missed the tile by... About 10m... Ah well. Just means I'll have to go ride in the Veluwe some more... tragic...

Twas a very good weekend. Lots of ice-cream. Lots of fun bike challenges. And a cluster jump or 267!!

J
--

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2040 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:05:52 pm »

I noticed that one as well ... Quite a few have got it via the ferry...

J

I see I've got 4 tiles from using a ferry. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

« Reply #2041 on: 15 June, 2021, 10:43:45 am »
I'm undecided on my own approach to ferries to the islands here.
On the one hand for a straight island to island crossing, as part of a longer ride, it's not so different from if there was a bridge.
On the other hand, it is a bit different.

I have the ferry bits split as seperate activities so i can have them, or not, as I eventually decide.
The only real effect is on joining tiles on other islands to the main cluster, and here that already involves some small boat expedition stuff, so I'm not sure it will make much difference in the end, by the time those other ones are covered.

« Reply #2042 on: 15 June, 2021, 10:46:35 am »
For my upcoming holiday ride I'm considering this as well. I'll have to cross the Elbe, if I do this at Glückstadt it's a short ferry ride and I'm not bothered to cut it out. If I go via Brunsbüttel, it's about an hour, which is far too long for my taste to keep in the log.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2043 on: 15 June, 2021, 10:52:49 am »
For my upcoming holiday ride I'm considering this as well. I'll have to cross the Elbe, if I do this at Glückstadt it's a short ferry ride and I'm not bothered to cut it out. If I go via Brunsbüttel, it's about an hour, which is far too long for my taste to keep in the log.

I have wondered if you walk around and around on the ferry, whether that counts...

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2044 on: 15 June, 2021, 11:08:04 am »
I'veanaged to wind up am off duty crew member on the loch Seaforth with the amount of walking around I do on ferries.
Most passengers were looking a bit queasy that day though.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2045 on: 15 June, 2021, 11:21:09 am »

I have wondered if you walk around and around on the ferry, whether that counts...

J
I think there may be a ferry or two in Scotland if you walked onto its furthest end before it left the dock that you could 100% legitimitely bag a new tile

« Reply #2046 on: 15 June, 2021, 02:15:38 pm »
I found some old GPX files earlier. Annoyingly some appear to be half an Audax (recognisable because they start at Polegate / Hailsham and then end somewhere in the countryside rather than going back to the start). I also had a couple where there was some train on the track. I went back in and cropped these in Strava, and now I seem to have some squares with no activity that goes through them. Is this something that takes care of itself, or do I have to prod it somehow else?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2047 on: 15 June, 2021, 06:33:57 pm »
After you crop a ride in Strava you need to click Update in VV again, unless you've done that already?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2048 on: 15 June, 2021, 06:41:57 pm »
Yes, I’ve done the update. And it’s still there on a different device, so not local caching either.

« Reply #2049 on: 15 June, 2021, 10:14:18 pm »
Yes, I’ve done the update. And it’s still there on a different device, so not local caching either.

Try double clicking on the ride in VV and viewing it.  That can sometimes trigger an update