Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 221992 times)

Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #50 on: 13 January, 2015, 05:48:18 pm »
Sorry I undersold you.

Phil W

« Reply #51 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:18:42 pm »
Steve is actually ahead of Tommy's pace. Have you assumed Tommy's pace is 205 miles per day for whole year? I can send Tommy's  actual daily figures if you haven't got them already.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #52 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:51:19 pm »
Steve is actually ahead of Tommy's pace. Have you assumed Tommy's pace is 205 miles per day for whole year? I can send Tommy's  actual daily figures if you haven't got them already.

Tommy Godwin's distances are also on the graph - that's the grey line. The axis has been set up on the distance required on average to break the record over the year, which I think makes more sense than having an axis which changes in value every day.

Rather like the World Record lines they draw on swimming pools on the TV.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hillbilly

« Reply #53 on: 13 January, 2015, 07:09:44 pm »
Nice way to visualise the unfolding drama through time.  Albeit over time those daily squiggles will become less significant and it will begin to look like a straight line.  Which, when you think about it, tells its own story (it matters less what happens day to day, only the overall trajectory leads the way to victory and glory).

I am no professor, but further down the line an alternative measure might be what average daily distance do they need to do to finish first.  If that makes sense.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 13 January, 2015, 08:34:52 pm »
Actually, that makes me wonder - and this has probably been answered already, so sorry - but how is the record holder determined? Let's imagine Tarzan, the hare (shouldn't that cheetah?) reaches 75,066 miles in, say, 300 days - does he then become the record holder until Steve, the tortoise (shouldn't that be some other creature? Tortoises don't have teeth, do they?) reaches 75,067 miles on day 364? Or do they have to ride for a full 365 days regardless of total reached?

(And what if IronOx fails to reach the Godwin Year but carries on and exceeds 100,000 miles in 500 days - because rust is slow but it never sleeps, remember?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rr

« Reply #55 on: 13 January, 2015, 08:43:59 pm »
Interesting use of a cusum plot. One of my favourite SPC methods.

red marley

« Reply #56 on: 14 January, 2015, 06:34:23 am »
Tarzan had a good day yesterday and has pushed his lead to 21 miles, but Steve continues strongly on his 82,835 mile schedule.

red marley

« Reply #57 on: 15 January, 2015, 12:42:13 am »
Despite a fall in icy conditions, Steve did better today than Godwin on day 14 and remains close to his upper target. Kurt had another good day in Florida, increasing his lead over Steve in his fifth day of riding.

MarkA

« Reply #58 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:25:49 am »
It will be interesting to see how things look on day 7 when Kurt has his "rest" day as his average will reduce by approximately 10 to 12 miles a day if he sticks to his 100 mile rest day target. 

red marley

« Reply #59 on: 16 January, 2015, 07:35:16 am »
Two long days for Steve and Kurt yesterday. Steve back on his upper target and Kurt increases his lead after 6 days. Will he have a 'rest' day tomorrow or continue on his 190+ miles per day pace?

« Reply #60 on: 16 January, 2015, 07:43:46 am »
Jo, thankyou!

Superb graphics. Concise commentary a nice extra.

« Reply #61 on: 16 January, 2015, 02:06:07 pm »
Not sure if its been asked or if its planned, but if you could try to incorporate hours on the bike and average speed, that would be great too :-)

red marley

« Reply #62 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:36:10 am »
Tarzan puts in a monster day to keep his average not far below Godwin's annual average and about 100 miles ahead of Steve. Steve is a little ahead of his upper schedule.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:57:55 am »
Not sure if its been asked or if its planned, but if you could try to incorporate hours on the bike and average speed, that would be great too :-)
Yes.

The biggest difference between the two leaders is their average speed (over time - if we assume their total is similar - then this will effectively tell us the TimeOnBike difference too).

I have no idea how best to display it, but it would be a big plus.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #64 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:59:48 am »
You already get riding speed by the steepness of the rising lines. Similarly, time on bike is the horizontal length of the rising lines.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #65 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:30:47 am »
You already get riding speed by the steepness of the rising lines. Similarly, time on bike is the horizontal length of the rising lines.

+1    I think that all the information we need is there in the graph, any more would just make it confusing.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

red marley

« Reply #66 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:41:18 am »
I will add the option of highlighting only the moving parts of each line which might give a stronger impression of the differences between Steve's and Kurt's approaches.

The web version also has the option of showing distances (shown below as the diagonal lines) on the charts, along with some summary statistics.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:43:22 am »
Yes I know,  but that's not an exact measure,  and I personally find it hard to judge with my human eye.

(Think of Retail Price Inflation graphs - you COULD just plot the actual prices, but the actual inflation figure would be very hard to judge accurately. Much better to plot the actual inflation figure. Its all about clarity - otherwise Jo could just publish a text table of all the figures! )

Also it's very hard to compare e.g. TimeOnBike SA vs KS on Jan 16th. Which is of interest - at least to me.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #68 on: 18 January, 2015, 07:04:22 am »
Two long days from Steve and Kurt. Steve's first since his midnight 1st Jan ride where he has ridden more than Tommy's annual average distance, so he creeps upward on the chart towards that magic baseline.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #69 on: 18 January, 2015, 07:45:37 pm »

Tommy Godwin's distances are also on the graph - that's the grey line. The axis has been set up on the distance required on average to break the record over the year, which I think makes more sense than having an axis which changes in value every day.

Rather like the World Record lines they draw on swimming pools on the TV.

Ok, got it now!

« Reply #70 on: 18 January, 2015, 07:51:51 pm »

+1    I think that all the information we need is there in the graph, any more would just make it confusing.

Yes, I agree: there's a ton of info which can be gleaned from this graph, and putting more lines would be confusing.
My request would have been better phrased as "an additional graph to show speed and hours".  Meaning if and when Jo gets round to posting these on a web page.  Getting the speed and time as suggested above isn't very clear to my mind. (which sounds critical, but I don't mean it to be)

« Reply #71 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:07:37 pm »
I *really* like these graphs Jo.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

red marley

« Reply #72 on: 19 January, 2015, 06:29:05 am »
Both Steve and Kurt gaining on Tommy's annual average now, despite only being mid-January.

« Reply #73 on: 19 January, 2015, 09:20:55 am »
Jo, you mention a web version, is it live and if so is there a link?

red marley

« Reply #74 on: 19 January, 2015, 10:48:33 am »
I've not added the instructions page yet and the interaction needs some refinement, but you can see a 'beta' version of the visualization app at

http://gicentre.org/oytt

To change the date range and scaling, try dragging either the main chart area or either of the axes.