Author Topic: An epic ride to the pubbe...  (Read 1965 times)

An epic ride to the pubbe...
« on: 01 March, 2012, 05:30:18 pm »
It's a while since I went on any sort of forum ride, indeed, it's a while since I rode more than a mile and a half at a stretch. So when CrinklyLion mentioned the words 'potter' and 'Naburn' in a post, I thought it might just be within my grasp, and that of MFWHTBAB, with whom I'm spending my week off.

We arranged to meet at the Millenium Bridge, and MFWHTBAB and I turned up at the same time as Phantasmagoriana, who wondered if she should have brought a Brompton to make up a set of three.  We hung about, looked at planets in the sky, and were passed by a mob of ninjas on BMX's, whose combined weight made the bridge sway under us - mind you, a daschund at a slow trot does that.  Only one of them tried to play chicken as they passed, and he was on a scooter. If he had misjudged and hit MFWHTBAB's leg, I would have been compelled to blind him with my Alpkit headtorch, and then throw him in the river. It's the only language they understand.

CrinklyUncle turned up shortly after us, and then CrinklyLion, and we were off on the first leg of our arduous trek - forsaking the Bastard Hill cycle path for the gentler climb (about 1 in 1,000,000) of Butcher Terrace and Bishopthorpe Road.  Thence onto the Racecourse, where it was suddenly a lot darker. Due, I suppose, to the lack of street lights...

Once we'd negociated the racecourse, and the blind bend alongside the A64, and the BMX ramps under the bridge, we were speeding out of the solar system - incuding negociating a Black Hole Dog Walker who loomed between Earth and Mars. Shortly after Mars, we took a celestial detour, thanks to some sewer works which have completely dug up the bike path.

And what a detour! It was wonderfully signposted I had to admit, but it needed to be, since it exchanged 0.38 mile of more or less straight line for 0.93 mile of convoluted surburban residential streets. As CL said, it covered 9 sides of a square...  In daylight, apparently, the barriers at the start of the closed section are visible from those at the end - the closed section, I've mapped as a quarter of a mile...

Anyway, back on the straight and narrow, over the Fisher of Dreams bridge, past Saturn and Cassini, and keep an eye out for the little ride turn into Naburn, where the Pubbe, and dinner,  awaited. 

Beer was purchased, and photographed in order to torture Our Man in India, and then food likewise. We'd earned it. We'd ridden a gruelling 7.12 miles....

Stuffed with dinner, lightly roasted by the real fire, and a little sleepy, we set out on the return. Whereupon Phantasmagoriana found she had a flat rear tyre. In a Spirit of Optimism I pumped it back up and when it didn't immediately deflate, we decided to give it a try. We opted for the slight less silly detour on the return, and came off onto Acaster Lane, shaving a whole 0.19 mile off the outward distance....

Rejoining the Solar System at Mars, we ambled back into York, and went our separate ways, the tyre showing signs of flaccidity, but so near home as to not matter, with much self congratulation on our epic travail. 

13.96 miles. Altitude gained, about 18". Time Taken: All evening.

;D

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: An epic ride to the pubbe...
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2012, 06:38:54 pm »
Indeed, grand fun it was.  And I think that the detour through suburbia must count as our official first Comedy ON Roading experience of the Pubbe Runne :)

Oh yeah - pics.  I didn't photograph, y'know, bikes.  Or people.  Or riding along.  Or fettling.  Or that sort of stuff...

Just the usual stuff, really...

Veggie option - 1 of about 5, not counting pizza!

Phantasmagoriana's pizza

Chicken Melt and Chips (and it made us laugh that CrinklyUncle just waited for me to take a pic before starting to eat!)

Cajun Chicken

Some of us even managed pudding - well, after all that riding, we'd earned it!

And, of course, I got the picture that counts.  Especially for Deano  :-*

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:21:54 pm »
S & K, a nice report and pictures!  I thought of you lot on an audax last year (Brimham Rocks), which took us under the Fisher of Dreams.  Arch, I take it you're not riding Leap into the Aire, this year?  I'm sure I saw you on it a couple of years ago when I was doing Spring into the Dales.

Congratulations, by the way!

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2012, 09:27:55 am »
I did indeed do Leap into the Aire two years ago. Nowhere near fit enough now!  MFWHTBAB and I were in Hebden Bridge a couple of weeks back (by car!), I couldn't believe some of the hills I'd got up...

We're hoping to do more cycling this summer than we did last, so maybe I'll be fit again one day!

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2012, 09:44:24 am »
Oh, indeed, an epic ride.

Some people measure the epic by kilometers covered, some by meters climbed.

The truly sophisticated folk measure by quantity and quality of food and drink.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:53:51 pm »
Ah, but the food doesn;t look as good as this :P

roadside food in India by dean.clementson, on Flickr

« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:58:09 pm »
Pah - they haven't even bothered cooking those onions!  And where's the pint?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2012, 02:20:15 pm »
Dean has the pint in his lifter as he taking pics with his leaner

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2012, 02:27:29 pm »
And where the hell are the chips? :o
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2012, 03:17:39 pm »
Off camera,being fed to him by a nubile Bollywood actress.