Author Topic: David Millar speaks  (Read 1891 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
David Millar speaks
« on: 07 January, 2016, 09:51:16 am »
Long interview last night on PM with David Millar about how he started doping, and his involvement in trying to stop it.From 41 minutes here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06twbz8
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: David Millar speaks
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2016, 10:16:36 am »
I heard that. Very good. What prompted PM to include that piece ?  (I didn't catch the intro.)
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2016, 12:14:10 pm »
Yes, heard that, sat on my drive in the car listening to the last 5 minutes as I was on the way home.

Had a very mixed reception among the Ely club on FB, along the lines of "cheating ba$tard cashing in".  The most interesting bit for me was the premise that athletics is where cycling was 15 years ago in terms of drugs and the obvious corruption in football.  No mention of PEDs in rugby though, which are rife.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:40:06 pm »
Yes, athletics:
The $hit is really starting to hit the fan, particularly in running.

This may be why we get an interview of a convicted doper, from a sport that has been there, done that; cycling has  rebuilt its status as a global spectator sport, even though its highly debateable that the drugs problem is "solved'.

Seb Coe & co can learn a lot from the problems in cycling.

Signed MattC,
A David Millar Fan :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2016, 07:23:27 pm »
Yes, heard that, sat on my drive in the car listening to the last 5 minutes as I was on the way home.

Had a very mixed reception among the Ely club on FB, along the lines of "cheating ba$tard cashing in".  The most interesting bit for me was the premise that athletics is where cycling was 15 years ago in terms of drugs and the obvious corruption in football.  No mention of PEDs in rugby though, which are rife.

I don't quite understand the blindness to PEDs in Rugby. There's a lot of worry about players injuring themselves and the game being too dangerous - but no one at the top seems to be making the obvious link between players becoming bigger and faster than ever before and the drugs busts in every_other_sport. Seems ridiculous to me.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2016, 10:15:06 pm »
The links are very definitely being made, people are being caught and receiving bans.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens