Author Topic: 16th May - the day 'lockdown' ended?  (Read 3755 times)

16th May - the day 'lockdown' ended?
« on: 16 May, 2020, 04:38:06 pm »
Traffic pretty much back to pre-March levels for a Saturday here in South Oxfordshire (and it's clear a few people have forgotten how to drive...). 

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Re: 16th May - the day 'lockdown' ended?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2020, 04:48:08 pm »
Much the same here, in Somerset, and loads of litter beside the country lanes.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2020, 05:58:45 pm »
Seems so here too. The kids & teens have hardly been socially distancing anyway but today: the teens at least - they're just sat/wandering round in a group of six or so and whilst they might be all from the same household I doubt it somehow.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2020, 06:14:05 pm »
Fairly sure it ended on the 11th around here.  Or possibly the 8th, though that was a national holiday to celebrate the end of the lockdown, so the roads were relatively quiet

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2020, 06:37:14 pm »
12th-13th here IMO.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2020, 06:40:12 pm »
Weird, still pretty quiet here, except for the tits in a honda civic that think the country roads are a race track and that it's my and the pedestrians fault that they can't drive.
If I'd thought to point the camera at them rather than swear back there might have been repercussion.

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2020, 06:59:35 pm »
Traffic pretty much back to pre-March levels for a Saturday here in South Oxfordshire (and it's clear a few people have forgotten how to drive...).

Yep, agreed.  Rode to uffington today - definitely more cars.  Had to wait to cross the A420 as per usual (unlike previous weeks).   Fortunately only one muppet of a driver today.

... loads of bikes out as well.  Unfortunately also examples of adults riding on pavements, and parents cycling on road - with kids alongside on pavement.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:02:44 pm »
London feels worse.  I drove to collect some dust sheets from a friend, to heavy to cycle.  Traffic was worse and lots of shops open.  Jewellers and people getting coffee and drinking in.

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:09:46 pm »
Ice cream van just pulled into the close...
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:17:09 pm »
Still pretty quiet here except for the agricultural traffic, builder's vans and shit head kid drivers.
Most amused to see a large campervan passing slowly though, being closely shepherded from behind by the heddlu.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:20:28 pm »
I went to Greenwich. A pub next to Greenwich park had a line outside, and was serving through opened windows.
I'm not sayint hey were serving beer - looked like coffee and soft drinks. But this is how lockdown ends.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:27:59 pm »
Some pubs here have been serving takeaway beer since the beginning of lockdown. But with distance markers for the queue. One pub produced plastic flagons for its patrons. These were small independent pubs with local regulars.

Drinking coffee in, as Gattopardo reports, is something I have not yet seen. Surely still prohibited?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Davef

« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »
There was a queue at the bank on Friday. People depositing cheques.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:18:49 pm »
For the first time since the start of the lockdown l had to go into the big Tesco store in slough this evening. No one seemed to know what 1 meter was let alone 2 and follow the one way markings  .your having a laugh  :hand:
the slower you go the more you see

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:22:16 pm »
Do we really only live 6 miles apart??

I respectfully, but totally disagree with your assessment. (I rode into Oxford this morning - via A4074 at 10am)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:23:24 pm »
Saw a group of 20-30 people on my ride chatting in the street. Impressive for a village of 100...

And on oncoming idiot trying to push past me with parked cars on his side, while I was socially distancing from a pedestrian. Well,, I slowed him down, but he cranked down the window  ::-)

This was straddling the Dorset-Somerset border, including a lot of the A30.

I respectfully, but totally disagree with your assessment. (I rode into Oxford this morning - via A4074 at 10am)
One pattern I noticed early in lockdown was that traffic on long distance routes was more significantly reduced. So I could quite comfortably cycle on the A303 (think A34). But had stupid overtakes on the C/unclassified back roads.

« Reply #16 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:52:22 pm »

Yes. Didcot is a regular feature on my daily rides.

Oxford is strange. I've ridden through a few times recently and seems to be completely deserted (no idea what it was like today though).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:17:27 pm »
Oxford is strange. I've ridden through a few times recently and seems to be completely deserted (no idea what it was like today though).

Does oxford have a population that's likely to be there right now?

St Andrews is almost totally dead except for the few real locals going to the shops.
Cupar is quite busy with the locals going to the shops.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2020, 06:11:27 am »

Does oxford have a population that's likely to be there right now?

St Andrews is almost totally dead except for the few real locals going to the shops.
Cupar is quite busy with the locals going to the shops.

Well some of us live here year round :) The non-resident students only account for 10% but the city has been weirdly quiet.

At the 2011 Census, 24% of the city's adult population was a full-time student (30,000 people) – the highest proportion in England and Wales.
Around one-third of full-time students were born outside the UK.
Oxford's student population is so large that its out of term population (where students and school children are at their “home” address) is 10% below its usually resident population.

Source: https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20131/population/467/students_in_oxford

« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:41:06 am »
For the first time since the start of the lockdown l had to go into the big Tesco store in slough this evening. No one seemed to know what 1 meter was let alone 2 and follow the one way markings  .your having a laugh  :hand:

We have started doing click and collect since last weekend. One down and two in the pipeline. Started when I went into M&S and found it no different to pre-virus days.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #20 on: 17 May, 2020, 08:18:34 am »
I took a ride to Greenwich yesterday.
cutty Sark Gardens is fenced off by the council, I really cannot see why as the rest of Greenwich had plenty of people milling around.
The foot tunnel is closed, as is the walkway along the front of the Naval College. I would say there are good reasons for these.
In Greenwich Park there were lots of groups sitting on the grass and lots of bicycles. Which is OK AFAIK.
but I did see for the first time people gathering in groups beside the gates. Supposing for a minute, these looked like prearranged meetings between groups of friends.

I saw a takeaway ice cream shop which has been open for a couple of weeks.
the pub I saw was serving out of open windows, and the queue was behind a roped barrier. Sorry to say little evidence of people staying apart in the queue.

Again I admit hypocrisy as I shop in Lidl - queueing outside at 2 metres, but when in the store it is a free for all.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2020, 08:33:58 am »
Exactly the same just over the border in Pangbourne.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2020, 08:37:27 am »
Unfortunately and regrettably, it seems that some cyclist around my area seem to believe that it is now ok to be riding in 2s, even 4s. I do recognise the individuals I’ve seen, and they aren’t from the same household.
Does it matter - maybe for them they think it’s safe. However, in terms of our public image it can’t be good.

« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:01:57 am »
Riding in twos with people outside your household is legal.

« Reply #24 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:16:31 am »
Riding in twos with people outside your household is legal.

Apologies, yes, I’ve just seen that. What isn’t at all clear is whether or not the 2metre rule still applies. As usual, the guidelines are badly framed and written.
It says “ you can exercise with one other from outside your household “
In the next paragraph it says that you must stay 2 meters from anyone from outside your household.
The new rules? Regulations? Guidelines? are written with all forms of exercise in mind

Otherwise, the only way to get within 2 metres of your mistress, girlfriend, parent etc is to take them on a bike ride. :-)