Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 863406 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5500 on: 14 December, 2018, 07:49:31 am »
some sub compact oval chain rings!

« Reply #5501 on: 20 December, 2018, 05:41:45 pm »
Endura Xtract L/S roubaix jersey in Ninja black, £27 - good price from Ribble.  And an Endura Hi-vis pakagilet...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5502 on: 20 December, 2018, 05:48:04 pm »
Got a few bits in the post and some arrived already for the FF500.

2x Panaracer gravel kings SK 32mm
Tubeless injector and 'magic milk' from Planet X (the wheels are tubeless ready but currently run clinchers)
Valve cores
Some new rear red lights and a new big beefy 'seeing' light for when it's dark

If the injector comes tonight I might be so excited that I'll have to do it in the shed in the dark!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #5503 on: 20 December, 2018, 08:26:27 pm »

2x Panaracer gravel kings SK 32mm

Fabulous tyres; I hope your experience mirrors mine.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5504 on: 22 December, 2018, 12:18:56 am »
Ordered a fork from Taiwan for a build in the New Year. Despatched on 17/12, postie walked in with it this aft. Stunned...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5505 on: 23 December, 2018, 12:20:26 am »
Rockbros Bar Mitts. About £12 off Aliexpress, delivered within a couple of weeks.
There doesn't seem to be a UK seller for the original Bar Mitts, so will try the cheap copies. They don't have the holes for gear cables, but will do on the fixed anyway.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5506 on: 05 January, 2019, 07:51:36 pm »
A set of R2030 shifters for the tourer. I'm going to try under-tape cabling to help the bar bag, and the current 2303 set are knocking on a bit. Also a new chain and cassette for that bike as I was paying for postage anyway.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rr

« Reply #5507 on: 06 January, 2019, 02:56:14 pm »
Bluetooth speed and cadence sensor for mini, £9.99 in Aldi clearance.
3 year warranty too.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #5508 on: 06 January, 2019, 04:06:15 pm »
One of these locks: from https://www.freddiegrubb.com/

You Londonites may know of it.

tigr_mini-02.jpg

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5509 on: 06 January, 2019, 05:06:02 pm »

tigr_mini-02.jpg

Very neat and presumably as light as a feather .... but I think I'll wait until someone in China makes a copy at a lot less dosh! 

Freddie Grub as a make of frames/bikes brought back many memories for me from days of yore.

Rob

« Reply #5510 on: 06 January, 2019, 05:36:22 pm »

tigr_mini-02.jpg

Very neat and presumably as light as a feather .... but I think I'll wait until someone in China makes a copy at a lot less dosh! 

Freddie Grub as a make of frames/bikes brought back many memories for me from days of yore.

Rob
It's light in weight* and looks nice (to my eyes). It won't be used in isolation though. At least
one other lock when the bike is left out of my sight.

*Depends on one's definition of lightweight.

« Reply #5511 on: 07 January, 2019, 01:57:10 pm »

tigr_mini-02.jpg

Rob
It's light in weight* and looks nice (to my eyes). It won't be used in isolation though. At least
one other lock when the bike is left out of my sight.

*Depends on one's definition of lightweight.
I've been using one of those for a couple of years now, and bought a pair as a wedding present for some friends who were getting married.
I think that some of the security comes from it being a bit WTF?
ie it's not a d-lock, cable or chain - so the would-be scrotes aren't tooled-up for it.
I hope.

« Reply #5512 on: 08 January, 2019, 05:51:12 pm »
New job, new commute soon so splashed out on a set of wide (45mm) Portland Design mudguards. They'll need to last 3* as long as the chromo plastic or be 3* less rattly to be worth it.  Fingers crossed.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5513 on: 09 January, 2019, 08:46:39 am »
New 3m long gear cable for the older 'bent. The 'standard' 2.1m long ones are about 100mm too short.  I've swapped back to the SRAM twist grip for the RD (from my preferred triggers) as what I suspect is onsetting arthritis in my right thumb is making the multitudinous gear changes on a 'bent too painful.  So now I have a trigger on the FD, and a twister on the rear.  Looks a bit odd.

Used my spare 3m cable to re-thread, so needed another backup.

Ordered 2 more 60mm SRAM twist grips to replace the originals I cut off when swapping the twist grips for triggers ages ago, so at least I'd have a full grip on the bar.

Then I found 2 new, unused, cheapo rubber grips in the spares box, which match the SRAM units perfectly, and only needed a cut down to fit perfectly......

« Reply #5514 on: 10 January, 2019, 07:54:41 pm »
Ish; backed Max Leonard/Isola Press's latest project on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/688905218/the-rough-stuff-fellowship-archive-book/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5515 on: 10 January, 2019, 09:38:43 pm »
Ditto, a good thing. It is a bit disingenuous to compare roughstuffing with MTBs though. MTBers generally prefer not walking over stuff.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5516 on: 10 January, 2019, 11:23:17 pm »
New job, new commute soon so splashed out on a set of wide (45mm) Portland Design mudguards. They'll need to last 3* as long as the chromo plastic or be 3* less rattly to be worth it.  Fingers crossed.

Follow up order of a tall front hanger.

« Reply #5517 on: 11 January, 2019, 08:25:35 am »
Ditto, a good thing. It is a bit disingenuous to compare roughstuffing with MTBs though. MTBers generally prefer not walking over stuff.

And it's not like rough-stuffing wasn't around long before the fellowship. What are RSF rides like these days - is there still a fair bit of pushing? I suppose cycle-assisted hiking perhaps had more appeal in the days before mass car ownership.

« Reply #5518 on: 14 January, 2019, 03:28:50 pm »
Ortlieb roller classic for the princely sum of £55

Marked down from £109

Bargain.

It has unusual artwork on it (trees), guess it wasn't popular. I don't care so much about that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5519 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:38:18 pm »
My cow-orker gave up TT-ing recently, and I've had an accidental n+1 moment with his TT bike:

N+1 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

60t chainring will take a bit of turning!
It's got a power meter, a bell that rings and things that make it look good.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5520 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:54:32 pm »
I were right about that saddle, though.   ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5521 on: 17 January, 2019, 05:16:54 pm »
Oops, I bought another bike.  I'm not keeping this one though - it's a surprise gift, or will be when I've changed it to a fixie.

1980-ish 23.5" Holdsworth in an appalling poo brown colour.  531 butted main tubes.  New-looking Brooks B17.  Centre-pulls, Campag hubs, decent kit, nothing is rusty, has a proper chainset where the inner ring can be removed.  I'll respace and redish the rear wheel and I have a 20T that can screw on there.  It won't need a lockring if I use the Chainwhip Of Thor, although I may use a BB lockring and a bit of threadlock just in case,

Only downside is that it has 27" wheels, but they'll be ok until the rims wear out (alloy) and the brakes will easily reach 700c.

I could strip it for parts and easily get twice what I paid for it, but that's not the point.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5522 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:13:34 pm »
I've bought rather a lot of cycling stuff.  In fact the entire contents of a bike shop to be accurate.

Just need to look at premises!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #5523 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:19:56 pm »
Wowser !!

We want pics.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5524 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:20:48 pm »
And the shop ?

Is it intended all for personal use, or are we going to be seeing a lot of threads in Classifieds ?
Rust never sleeps