Author Topic: Should I turn my computer off when I leave the office?  (Read 3333 times)

Should I turn my computer off when I leave the office?
« on: 27 January, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »

At present I switch off the screen but don't shut down as it saves me 2 minutes when I get in of a morning, one of my colleagues is worried about the power consumption & environmental impact, what should I do?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Should I turn my computer off when I leave the office?
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »
Hibernate it.  It'll consume no power over night, but will take less time to be ready in the morning than a full boot.

Hibernating dumps the current memory contents to a single big file on the hard drive - which is loaded up in one go, rather than the computer having to load multiple small files and do number crunching.  Enable hibernation if it's not yet enabled.  An occasional full reset is good for the operating system, though, so fully shutdown once a week.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »
Convince your IT department to set things so all computers switch off at some suitable time in the evening (8pm here) and come on again in the morning (7am, I think).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »
Your company may have A Policy regarding this.

I've worked in plenty of places where the IT drones push updates to PCs overnight. I've also worked in places where you had to power off, then take the hard-drive out and put it in a frikkin safe before going home. YMWV.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2012, 02:48:18 pm »
We don't even have a "shut down" menu option - the only way to turn the computer off is via the main power switch. Apparently, machines are required to be left switched on overnight so the IT department can run installations, upgrades and backups as necessary. Seems incredibly wasteful to me, but there you go.

I always logout, though, and turn the monitor off.

[edit: cross-posted with Chris]

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2012, 06:05:08 pm »

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2012, 06:29:38 pm »
Would be good to get your admin to enable hibernation.  It's not just for laptops.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2012, 07:24:18 pm »

At present I switch off the screen but don't shut down as it saves me 2 minutes when I get in of a morning, one of my colleagues is worried about the power consumption & environmental impact, what should I do?

Turn it off what is "2 minutes"? No-one is that busy. There are loads of things you can do in the time, for me it is changing from bike clothes to office clothes and pouring a cup of tea. 

« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2012, 07:27:32 pm »
... I've worked in plenty of places where the IT drones push updates to PCs overnight. ...

... but that doesn't require the PC to be left on.  Most modern PCs can be set to Wake-On-LAN, so the IT department just need to send a Magic Packet (and yes, it is actually called that!) to the PC to wake it up, do the updates, and then power it off again.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2012, 07:32:36 pm »
Ours are supposed to be left on for updates.  Having said that, for laptops it's only recommended that they are left on and connected overnight every week or two.  They get AV updates during the day anyway; it's just large SMS patches that need to be delivered at night.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »
Two minutes. TWO MINUTES!

If I wanted my work PC all ready for action at 9am, I'd have to get up at 8.45 am, build a time machine, use that time machine to take my PC back to the late Cretaceous period and then, once there, press the 'on' button and leave it (importantly in the place that my office will occupy in about 65 million years' time) pausing only to punch a nosy triceratops before travelling back to the future. It should just about have just about booted to the Windows XP desktop when I get back. I ask our IT staff if they think it's right that I have to punch a triceratops every morning just to have a functional PC and they just mutter on about upgrade cycles and the fact that I should perhaps be due a new computer on the eve of the universe's entropic flatline. If Dell could make something powered by steam and running Windows 1888, that's probably what I would have.

I hibernate the bloody thing because I just don't have the patience for a full restart and building a time machine is actually harder than it looks, particularly first thing in the morning. I could have downloaded every byte of p0rn on the internet in the time it takes to cold start. If I hibernate it every night and schedule it to start at 8.30, it might be awake for 9 am, or it might simply have crashed because it's taken exception to something, like being woken up. Plus it sounds like a curling team on amphetamines are attacking the hard disk with industrial floor sanders when it tries to remember just what happened the day before. I pressed the 'hibernate' button. Remember that you piece of good for nothing silicon shit?

I only use the gone-wrong Kebabbage engine for Outlook which is an entire another source of pain, like having angry rats in my eyeballs.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2012, 08:29:16 pm »
Same here.

Reboot cycle takes geological time,and usually throws up errors due to race-conditions because some service or other has not yet started before some other component tried to load.

Our IT dept seem to be on a mission to install as many memory-resident things as possible to minimise the memory available to the user, and to maximse the disk-thrashing as it pages the hell out of the HDD.   Their measure of success is to try to make the icons in the systray reach all the way over to the 'start' button.

Crapafee is configured to use 95% of the CPU at all times, and to perform full scans of the entire Internet every time the user moves the mouse.

They seem to believe the HDD is an under-utilised asset if the HDD light is not permenantly lit.

No, never switch this thing off, unless absolutely necessary.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2012, 08:48:35 pm »
Mine does stuff even when I am not there to supervise it. Having it magically undo stuff due to some IT 'policy' oversight has led to Bad Words in the past and a rethink on automated reboots.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2012, 09:12:26 pm »
We do the best we can.  Avoiding mandatory reboots is high on the don't-do list here.  :)

Yes, OP, turn it off. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 27 January, 2012, 10:24:18 pm »
I'm surprised to learn that Ian works in my office and uses my computer.

I turn mine off when I leave for the day. While it's magicking itself into some sort of life in the morning I dump my bag, hang up my coat, fill the water bottle (used for replenishing the kettle), make a cup of tea, sign myself in, check my dookit for post, switch my work mobile on, put my lunch into my drawers and say hello to everyone.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 27 January, 2012, 10:26:30 pm »
put my lunch into my drawers and say hello to everyone.

Crumbs.

« Reply #16 on: 27 January, 2012, 10:55:23 pm »
put my lunch into my drawers and say hello to everyone.

Crumbs.

Yeah, they could be a bit of an issue, later in the day...  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17 on: 28 January, 2012, 07:30:14 am »
Sometimes the computers they give me at work are so unbelievably shit that I now just take my own laptop (with 3G) in and use that.

It saves an awful lot of bother and means the IT chaps (or HR chappesses) don't risk being shocked by one's internet reading habits.

I can log into SharePoint portals where most work is done and, if I need full connectivity, I can fire up Citrix in a (very small) window.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #18 on: 28 January, 2012, 02:33:18 pm »
I do shutdown overnight and the machines auto suspend or hibernate depending on time as well.  The only exception is when I run something like a defragger in which case I stick a note to my screens telling the cleaner not to tell tales on me on me to my bosses about not shutting down (I got a huge bollocking for not shutting down once).  It is our institution's and building's policy to turn off everything overnight and my newboss is our green rep and is going for the next level of "greenness initiative".  Actually she's quite sensible and does work all ideas through for practicality and while I tease her for being a hippy she's actually a sensible hippy who believes in SCIENCE.  I suspect IT have magic WOL packets to upgrade us or just do it during working hours by sending emails saying we can't use the system from 4pm.  It's not their fault it's all Micro$haft notworking crap - the IT folk in various services themselves are mostly v decent and competent and sane.

My work PC takes a good 15 mins to boot to usable from OFF because windows XP (and all its successors) do that annoying show you the desktop but not having actually loaded anything.  Crapafee takes a lot of stuff, and then it's another 5 or so minutes before Outlook works too.  In fact I should break my own "nothing in the startup folder kthx" rule and shove Outlook in it so I don't have to manually start it.

Like Kirst, I come in, hit the boot button, unpeel layers, log in, then go and say hi to folk, check my pigeon holes and do tea.  If I was clever I'd do a postit with my diary on it the night before as I need outlook for that cos I end up going back to my office, copying diary to paper and then onto desk diary which is paper #2.  As there are 40 of us in the building paper does work best for the desk cos they can scrawl stuff on it which is useful

And that's before we can get anything sensible like network drives up, the evil custom Access DB up and the 4 other Access DBs up because someone didn't design the evil one competently!  For some reason accessing an Access DB over the network locks the ENTIRE system for about 30 seconds.  I can do a lot of reading or typing in 30s.

So yes, oversleeping till 9:07 and not getting in till 9:38 and having a 9:30 student (I got a message to reception to ask stude to wait) was not my usual organised "everything loaded in advance" so had to wait for Craprobat to crash a few times while talking her through overcomplicated SFE paperwork.

« Reply #19 on: 28 January, 2012, 03:13:39 pm »
2 mins?  Shutdown everynight.  I have a Dell at work running Windows7 and Sophos - just over a minute to boot; but sometimes if I have loads of applications/windows open I save & log off only...

Imagine how much power be saved world wide if every non essential PC was off for >12hr/day.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2012, 11:11:21 am »
i always shutdown at night, the 2 minutes inthe morning is no prob at all.
my updates are applied when i power off and on again, so thats my theory.
do the same at home, so the same at work

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 31 January, 2012, 09:54:03 am »
My work Babbage-Engine is similar to Ian's.  A full shutdown & reboot takes 35 minutes.  Frequently the hard disk is thrashing like Megadeth being attacked by killer bees even before I've moved the mouse first thing in the morning.  I hate it and will one day re-program it with a fire axe.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #22 on: 31 January, 2012, 10:20:24 am »
Turn it off what is "2 minutes"? No-one is that busy.

+1.
But not for environmental reasons - I'd just worry about the PS fan bearings running dry ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #23 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:36:51 pm »
My work Babbage-Engine is similar to Ian's.  A full shutdown & reboot takes 35 minutes.  Frequently the hard disk is thrashing like Megadeth being attacked by killer bees even before I've moved the mouse first thing in the morning.  I hate it and will one day re-program it with a fire axe.

You need to call the Hell desk

« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
I use logmein a lot, working from home, and while out and about etc. Don't trust things like remote wake up, so I just turn the monitor off.