Author Topic: 105 vs Ultegra  (Read 4143 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
105 vs Ultegra
« on: 18 April, 2008, 04:49:44 pm »
I'm going to upgrade the groupset on my Specialized Allez - (it's in theory my 'best' bike but in reality, the 105 groupset on my Ribble Winter Trainer/audax bike probably makes it my 'best currently).

So I'm debating getting either the 105 or Ultegra groupset for the Allez (already have 105 wheels & Dura Ace brakes so don't need new hubs and can put the 'spare' brakes on Ms Weasels bike).

Chain Reaction Cycles have the 105 groupset at £299 and the Ultegra at £379 so what is the relative difference in quality and is the Ultegra worth the extra £80?

Re: 105 vs Ultegra
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:59:38 pm »
I would expect the more expensive groupset to weigh less.  The hubs may be sealed differently. My Ultegra mechs have stronger springs than my 105 one though the latter is long cage and the former are short so shifting is different. Both work very well though. Mine are 9 speed so not the latest. IMO the difference is really aesthetic and kudos. Both work very well and continue to do so for a long time.

BTW if you want to sell a rear hub I'd appreciate first dibs.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:02:51 pm »
The hubs are extra so I won't be buying them I'm afraid, the 105's haven't had too much use yet so should still be ok.

vince

« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:03:52 pm »
This may be entirely down to adjustment, but I have 9 speed Ultegra and 105 and the Ultegra feels much smoother and more positive in the way that it shifts. Ultegra brakes are superb too.

If I have the cash I'll use Ultegra again on any new bike. But then again, a good service and all that might change.

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »
Like the look of the Ultegra chainset more. But parts like brakes, sti's etc are very close in performance so why not mix?
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2008, 06:14:54 pm »
Weight and finish are the usual differences.  I don't think there will be much difference between sti units.

There will be a bigger difference between Ultegra SL and 105

« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2008, 06:16:12 pm »
as a campagnoli I was amazed by the smoothness of the Ultegra on Maladict(a)'s bike.  It deffo felt nicer than the 105 on little brothers bike and has probably covered 50x the distance.

« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:14:48 pm »
My last road bike had 105 and my current has Ultegra (both 10s).  The Ultegra is far smoother in shifting and needs less maintenance adjustment.  The build quality looks better and it's lighter, not hugely but noticeable.

For the comparatively small price difference I'd recommend Ultegra when/if updating.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Maladict

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:22:40 pm »
as a campagnoli I was amazed by the smoothness of the Ultegra on Maladict(a)'s bike.  It deffo felt nicer than the 105 on little brothers bike and has probably covered 50x the distance.

I did replace the shifters after PBP because the butchering they suffered in trying to get the jammed cable out at the roadside and then by the mechanics at Loudeac wasn't very good for them.  Apart from that, and chain and sprocket replacement, the bike must be over 10,000km already since I bought it in 2006. (5250 last season in Audax, 2500 this season in Audax, 500km in season 05-06 in Audax, plus various other non-Audax riding).  It's lovely kit.

gonzo

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:03:44 pm »
They reckon that Ultegra SL is essentially the same as dura ace in all but name and a little weight. The Uletgra groupo is a great one and I'd definately reccomend it over 105 for £80.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:29:24 pm »
IMO by the time 105 is worn out, Ultegra is nicely worn in. My BB was just perfect at 25-30K miles. Rear mech, chainset, were fine. I bought my lookalike  pedals in 1988 and was racing on them this week. The only crap bit is the headset. Shimano do not do good headsets. Everything else is excellent. The hubs are still doing fine on  my winter bike. I built the wheels in 1992. Lock nuts are a bit rusty now, and I did change the freehub for a hyperglide one.

I've got my eye on a new chainset for the race bike, it will be an Ultegra Hollowtech II. New race bike will be Ultegra if I can find the money. And I expect it to last for many, many tens of thousands of miles.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:41:43 pm »
Keep an eye out on Probikekit.com for good deals on groupsets. I think they sometimes either get very good deals from Shimano or sell off remaining stock very cheap to make way for new stuff. I got a full 10spd Ultegra groupset from them 6 months ago for £270, £10 less than they were selling 105.