Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 251700 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1275 on: 21 January, 2021, 05:44:29 pm »
Only ever done two shed builds, and both times we set a number of paving slabs on a mix of sand and cement, then popped the shed onto the slabs. Both sheds haven't moved since (and one's been in place for well over 10 years).
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1276 on: 21 January, 2021, 06:54:47 pm »
Absolutely nothing really since Christmas other than a but of winter pruning ahead of spring growth.  It's just been too wet to turn a spade

In compost news, no sign of any furry friends yet

On the shed front, I'd try and make sure there's an air gap underneath it to try and stop the floor rotting?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1277 on: 21 January, 2021, 08:01:24 pm »
As in lay the shed on the slabs? Might be better off using the slabs as something to lay beams on and then put the shed onto the beams so it's not sat directly on floor. Oh and saw your quite new so welcome to the madhouse

Edit oh yeah missed that you'd already got replies but I think we largely agree

ElyDave

« Reply #1278 on: 21 January, 2021, 08:34:27 pm »
I'm with you JF, NOT directly onto the slabs

« Reply #1279 on: 06 February, 2021, 04:56:58 pm »
Pruned the russet apple and the pear trees.
The only winter pruning left is the roses, but seeing there are about a dozen of those there's still plenty to do.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1280 on: 14 February, 2021, 03:47:50 pm »
Hoping as the weather warms this weeks to get to the allotment. Walked past it yesterday and was frozen solid but really need to get the garlic in soon

« Reply #1281 on: 15 February, 2021, 08:59:46 pm »
The broad beans that I sowed last Nov are not looking happy after last weeks cold. I'll be surprised if they recover. The good news is that the later sowing that are still inside the house have today started to show. The second sowing are in small pots.

« Reply #1282 on: 19 February, 2021, 01:04:54 pm »
Popped up the allotment this morning. We have long metal pigeon protection covers and took some old plastic dust sheets to cover these with to try and dry some of the plot out  as need to get garlic in. The soils actually drier then I thought it would be so barring overnight rain going to head up there tomorrow

Bonus was some leeks I'd forgotten about which we need for a recipe

Double bonus the girls cycled with me with no problem at all. Round trip of about 10km and they still had energy to climb trees on way home

« Reply #1283 on: 19 February, 2021, 01:45:24 pm »
The broad beans that I sowed last Nov are not looking happy after last weeks cold. I'll be surprised if they recover. The good news is that the later sowing that are still inside the house have today started to show. The second sowing are in small pots.

My broad beans (Aquaduce) were completely flattened by the last frost, but I went down to the plot yesterday, and most of them looked as if they had fully recovered. I have 100 more planted, and just starting to show, in the greenhouse at the allotment, and will be starting more (Green Windsor) off this weekend.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ElyDave

« Reply #1284 on: 20 February, 2021, 12:56:05 pm »
I've not tried broad beans for a few years, but I've also had the recent cold knocking back my kale and cabbages that had started to sprout.

Planting plan for this year is done, and veggy plot tidied ready to go.  Rhubarb is sprouting already and looking good.  Mowed the lawn today to try and let it dry out and get some light in.  It's been so damp that it's covered in wormcasts and the edge next to the fence is almost pure moss.  Nice and boingy underfoot.

Will start planting chillis and tomatoes for the greenhouse next week, but I also need to get some structural elements sorted first.

« Reply #1285 on: 20 February, 2021, 05:42:40 pm »
Had a three hour session at the allotment today.
Pulled the last of the sprouts, had a splendid bonfire and got a bit of digging done.
Mrs M weeded one of the flower beds, and snaffled some of the manky looking purple sprouting broccoli.
We brought home a small clutch of daf's.

Some snowdrops I put in maybe three years ago have finally shown up.

I've never had any success with overwintering Broad beans.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1286 on: 20 February, 2021, 07:24:15 pm »
I dismantled one of our two composters today, sifting usable compost from not. The other one can happen tomorrow. They’re wooden, starting to rot and need to shift for putting up a new fence. I can probably assemble one out of what’s left in a better place in a few weeks.

« Reply #1287 on: 21 February, 2021, 11:27:51 am »
Finally managed to do my November jobs of pruning the rambling rose on the pergola, and cutting back the water shoots on the quince. The pergola is in a parlours state, rotted through at the base of 2 of the 4 supports, but then it was here when we moved in 22 years ago!  Some concrete “grandfathers” will be on the shopping list soon, but for now the rose is holding it up well.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1288 on: 22 February, 2021, 12:42:12 pm »
Sometime ago I acquired a large wooden box. Ive repurposed it to be a storage box at allotment but its not actually got as far as the allotment with it being a two person lift and with what's been going on getting a second person wasn't easy. However Saturday I spotted my neighbour had a sack barrow abandoned beside their shed. Borrowed this and Sunday took the box up to the plot. After unloading it and strapping onto the barrow I saw a van drive down the footpath/access road to the allotment which has a locked bollard. Turned out to be a fence company who were doing some work on the site so I could have driven to end of my plot instead of wheeling it on the barrow. Just need to get some chain to lock my tools up with (not leaving anything decent) and then can stop strapping tools to my bike when I go to the plot.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1289 on: 27 February, 2021, 02:51:03 pm »
Just sowed my sweet pea seeds into seed trays.  I always do this in the middle of February and I've only just realised the date.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1290 on: 28 February, 2021, 08:00:53 am »
Bonus! I found some parsnips that I hadn't dug.
Also took leeks, sprouting broccoli, and daffodils home.
Digging. Bonfire.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1291 on: 28 February, 2021, 03:49:37 pm »
All the roses are pruned.
We have started to tidy and weed the front garden.
I have trimmed what I can off the beech which shades my greenhouse (but belongs to the house over the back, so I am limited in what I can do about that).
Added to a 10k run this morning and I am feeling properly tired.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1292 on: 28 February, 2021, 03:58:39 pm »
Taking advantage of the glorious weather Saturday took some old tools to the allotment to go in the storage box so drilled that and put a deterant chain. If someone wants it then they have they stuff but it's gonna stop someone just walking off with them

Then dug enough to get three rows of garlic in. Think that Kings sent us the wrong garlic. Twin bulb pack and the cloves in each are totally different but I needed to get in so planted. Let's see what comes up

Then lots of tidying in the garden including tidying the hedge before the birds start nesting

« Reply #1293 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:23:13 pm »
Cut down last year's raspberry canes - didn't even need to take them home as another plotholder had a use for them.
Planted broad beans and put the stakes up for when they need support strings.
Moved the brassica cage to this year's location and dug out the few remaining cabbage and kale plants.
Found some parsnips that had been hiding, one of which was consumed at tea time.
A productive morning spent in glorious sunshine.

« Reply #1294 on: 09 March, 2021, 12:29:52 pm »
My day off work and the sunny weather for the week combined so after dropping the monkeys at school loaded the Thorn with a few small garden tools (so much easier now I have semi secure storage on the plot) some cake a friend dropped round last night and my Stanley flask and headed off to the allotment

Surprisingly quiet but then always is. I'm sure some plots are maintained by pixies as put mine to shame but never see anyone on them

Dug a strip around 3 metres wide the width of the plot and raked it then got some onions and beetroot planted. Would have got some more in but after being lapse last year with labeling at times I'm using marker string till things show through and ran out of the string I had made using all the bits of string that presents were wrapped in at Christmas

Bonus was a big parsnip I came across which will go with tea tonight

ElyDave

« Reply #1295 on: 10 March, 2021, 08:28:25 pm »
At the weekend, general pruning, tidying and weeding on the pretty beds.  Got the structure up in the greenhouse for toms/cucs/melons and planted some early lettuce, radish and pak-choi in the greenhouse bed. 

Plan was to get some chard into modules one lunch time, but it's been a crazy week so far - lunch just did not happen today as an example

« Reply #1296 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:48:57 pm »
On my 10 metre wide allotment - planted:

5 rows of potatoes
9 rows of carrots
4 rows of beetroot
3 rows of parsnip
2 'double rows' of broard bean plants

Ache now.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1297 on: 20 March, 2021, 09:04:33 pm »
Well done. We had our first visit today since before Christmas. A quick check over to work out what needs doing and the retrieval of some purple sprouting and some forced rhubarb.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1298 on: 21 March, 2021, 09:10:46 pm »
I have been toying with possibly planting in the G'house border rather than pots but the border soil is very dry and looks and feels like sand. I have lived here for 19 yrs and never planted in it. Anyhow I thought I would experiment by sowing some radish and lettuce seeds. I did mix in some compost first and have watered well. The radish have appeared which I am pleased with.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1299 on: 22 March, 2021, 08:35:55 am »
Is it too late to plant sweet pea seeds? Should they go in pots in the shed first or straight out into the earth?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.