Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281726 times)

ian

Well, if the new defences performed as per specification, then maybe this was one of those 1-in-x year statistics. If I lived near a river I'd assume that I'd be getting my feet wet at some point.

For some reason they built our potable water works at the bottom of the valley and on top of a submerged river. Took a lot of pumps to keep that dry (or rather than right sort of wet) the other year.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
It's all gone quiet here - no wind and no rain for the last 3 hours.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

I appreciate people aren't happy to be flooded, but there are limits to be what can be done, and well, they do insist on living by rivers and on flood plains. Frankly, if you've been flooded once, you're more likely to be flooded again...
I have a friend who lives in a house (in York) that is vulnerable to flooding. Over the last 18 years or so I think she's been flooded badly 4 times. Each time she gets the house ground floor ripped out, rebuilt and each time upgrades her defences a bit. There's a dyke around the houses now so water needs to top 16ft level to flood around the house, plus she now has flood doors so can stop water up to a metre in depth if it reaches the house.

It's possible to cope with it. All wiring above a certain height, flooring and wall materials that can be dried out. Be prepared to move furniture.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

I appreciate people aren't happy to be flooded, but there are limits to be what can be done, and well, they do insist on living by rivers and on flood plains. Frankly, if you've been flooded once, you're more likely to be flooded again...
I have a friend who lives in a house (in York) that is vulnerable to flooding. Over the last 18 years or so I think she's been flooded badly 4 times. Each time she gets the house ground floor ripped out, rebuilt and each time upgrades her defences a bit. There's a dyke around the houses now so water needs to top 16ft level to flood around the house, plus she now has flood doors so can stop water up to a metre in depth if it reaches the house.

It's possible to cope with it. All wiring above a certain height, flooring and wall materials that can be dried out. Be prepared to move furniture.

I think there is much to be said for looking at different configurations for dwellings to be built in areas at risk from flooding, though that will require planning officials and construction companies to think outside of the Barratt box! Consider the style of house that appears a lot on the other side of the Channel, where the ground floor or semi-basement is the garage/utility rooms/cellar level. Alternatively, use construction techniques that effectively raise the dwelling above ground level on a set of suitably waterproofed reinforced concrete or steel columns.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Chris S

New record - 341.4mm in 24 hours at Honister. Incredible amount of rain - that's the kind of daily total you might see in the sub-tropics.

No wonder there's mayhem.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Mayhem?!

I was sposed to be riding m'bike with that mcshroom today and he couldn't get out of Carlisle.  So it's cancelled.  Fppppth.  >:(
Milk please, no sugar.

Storm Desmond: Malham Cove waterfall flows again amid heavy rain
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-35026529

Shows how wet in some places...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I think there is much to be said for looking at different configurations for dwellings to be built in areas at risk from flooding, though that will require planning officials and construction companies to think outside of the Barratt box! Consider the style of house that appears a lot on the other side of the Channel, where the ground floor or semi-basement is the garage/utility rooms/cellar level. Alternatively, use construction techniques that effectively raise the dwelling above ground level on a set of suitably waterproofed reinforced concrete or steel columns.

A friend of mine, living about six inches above sea level, inhabits such a place.  However with it being:
  • On an island in San Francisco Bay, and
  • built from cheese
it'll probably just fall down the next time there's a half-decent earthquake instead.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Mayhem?!

I was sposed to be riding m'bike with that mcshroom today and he couldn't get out of Carlisle.  So it's cancelled.  Fppppth.  >:(

Annoyingly the sun's out now ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Mayhem?!

Annoyingly the sun's out now ::-)

Not here it's bloody not.  I've got the lights on 'cause it's so dark.
Milk please, no sugar.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My brother & family live a few miles outside Hesket Newmarket. I have no idea how badly they've been affected since I've not heard from them but they're on higher ground away from any rivers so hopefully ok. Although they are at the foot of a ruddy great mountain, so I suspect a fair bit of water will have run off by their house.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
One trusts that citoyen 2 can seek refuge in the Old Crown :)

citoyen

One trusts that citoyen 2 can seek refuge in the Old Crown :)

I worry for its cellar - the centre of the village has been pretty badly hit, apparently.

Might be better off getting a stash of their bottled beers and staying at home.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
Apparently Carlisle United won a foopball match at the weekend by scoring lots of goals, and are through to the next round of the FA cup of foopball.  Rob Bonnet interviewed their manager on the wireless yesterday.

RB:  So, I imagine you'd like a tie against the likes of Liverpool or Man Utd in the next round Mr Manager?  Preferably at home?
MM:  Oh aye, but we'd rather play it away than at home.
RB:  *knowing chuckle* Well, yes, you'll get more money out of it that way, won't you?
MM:  It's not so much that, more that the water's up over our crossbars at the moment.
RB:  Oh gosh, really?  That's quite deep...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
It's been a while since I was at the Old Crown but IIRC it's a fair way above anywhere that's likely to be flooded.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Apparently Carlisle United won a foopball match at the weekend by scoring lots of goals, and are through to the next round of the FA cup of foopball.  Rob Bonnet interviewed their manager on the wireless yesterday.

RB:  So, I imagine you'd like a tie against the likes of Liverpool or Man Utd in the next round Mr Manager?  Preferably at home?
MM:  Oh aye, but we'd rather play it away than at home.
RB:  *knowing chuckle* Well, yes, you'll get more money out of it that way, won't you?
MM:  It's not so much that, more that the water's up over our crossbars at the moment.
RB:  Oh gosh, really?  That's quite deep...

;D

The Carlisle ground was on telly last night, filmed from the air. You could only just see the stands - certainly no crossbars visible :O   There are some rugby pitches next door, you could see the tops of their posts!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
I've been without Electrons for the past 3 days or so, on yesterday for a few hours but off again. came to life again this morning but not expected tp be fettled proper until after 16:00hrs tomorrow, according to the Electrisitists. I live near the main generator that's been taken out by the floods so won't get power properly until the rest is sorted out. I live around 50 yards from the river Lune but, luckily, about 20 yards above it. Skerton bridge, 100 yards away, has been reopened after a container went for it in the over full river on Saturday night and  gave it a right good bang!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
quote  "Power has now been restored to all but 2,255 homes in Lancaster".

Guess!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

citoyen

It's been a while since I was at the Old Crown but IIRC it's a fair way above anywhere that's likely to be flooded.

I read somewhere that the village green was flooded but that does sound a little odd based on my memory of the geography of the place.

I shall make enquiries.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I have been to the dentist. Therefore it is raining. I've noticed that even in midsummer it rains on days I have dentist appointments.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Fuh fuh fuh freezing fog.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Bugger.  I'm going to the dentist tomorrow.  I had hoped to cycle.  But 20 miles round trip in Welsh rain doesn't appeal.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've noticed a correlation between dental anaesthetics and good weather for being outside (rather than in bed recovering from dental anaesthetics).

I have been to the dentist. Therefore it is raining. I've noticed that even in midsummer it rains on days I have dentist appointments.

Next Tuesday, me.  By bike.  Light rain is forecast as it's only the hygenist. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Rainbows have been visible from the office window every day this week, usually double rainbows.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.