Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 275399 times)

A little damp in York. A friend was getting flooded so I brought my canoe downriver to lend to her. She has nearly 4ft of water through her house. Another friend has been evacuated from her flat.

Not nearly as bad as year 2k tho'.  Despite the Meeja making a drama out of a crisis.  No sailing on the Knavesmire, yet.
Actually, according to friend who is flooded, the water is higher (they marked a gatepost). There are also substantially more properties in York affected, including shops in city centre.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
As if suffering the flooding were not bad enough, I understand that Cameron is due to turn up in York some time tomorrow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
A little damp in York. A friend was getting flooded so I brought my canoe downriver to lend to her. She has nearly 4ft of water through her house. Another friend has been evacuated from her flat.

Not nearly as bad as year 2k tho'.  Despite the Meeja making a drama out of a crisis.  No sailing on the Knavesmire, yet.
Actually, according to friend who is flooded, the water is higher (they marked a gatepost). There are also substantially more properties in York affected, including shops in city centre.

Isn't it partly that it's in different places?  In 2k the Foss barrier remained in operation so this time there's areas under a lot of water that weren't affected in 2k, as I understand it.

Both are true. The river level in fulford is higher than 2012 and the Foss is flooding.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Our house in Rochdale is ok; the houses opposite are not.  The Calder Valley and East Lancashire have had appalling flooding, in case it doesn't make the news.  For God's sake don't tell Cameron.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
As if suffering the flooding were not bad enough, I understand that Cameron is due to turn up in York some time tomorrow.

Dr Larrington is pretty sure he was poncing about in Chadlington, Oxon, on the news this evening so we may yet be able to call in an air strike.  Paging TimC...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Isn't it partly that it's in different places?  In 2k the Foss barrier remained in operation so this time there's areas under a lot of water that weren't affected in 2k, as I understand it.

That's probably the truth of the matter. It sounds like the pump failure at the BLue Bridge is to blame. Maybe.

I took loads of (film) pics in 2000 and none of the places in south York that were then flooded have any water on them right now. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

That's probably the truth of the matter. It sounds like the pump failure at the BLue Bridge is to blame. Maybe.

I took loads of (film) pics in 2000 and none of the places in south York that were then flooded have any water on them right now.

From what I understand the Foss barrier is intended to prevent flooding from the Foss caused when the Ouse is high and flows back into the Foss. To do this the barrier closes like the Thames tidal barrage, but unlike a tidal barrage that only has to be closed for a short period before it can open again to let the held up river water behind it out the Foss barrier has to close for longer periods, therefore water from the Foss has to be pumped passed the barrier. The Foss barrier was not closed this time due to concerns for the pump station being able to operate as such the Ouse has flooded out of the Foss in a way that the 2000 flood didn't.

I have no indication of the issues with the pumps but that could be power supply, equipment failure (unlikely) or possibly that the Foss was flowing so fast that the pumps couldn't keep up and the Foss would flood the pump station. Have no doubt the decision not to close the Foss barrier will be studied and reviewed but there will have been a (perceived) good reason.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

That's probably the truth of the matter. It sounds like the pump failure at the BLue Bridge is to blame...

I think you'll find that the Environment Agency is to blame.

That's probably the truth of the matter. It sounds like the pump failure at the BLue Bridge is to blame...

I think you'll find that the Environment Agency is to blame.

No, I blame the government.  It became obvious that the EA was unfit for purpose even before the Somerset Levels flooding, however:

Research by the official House of Commons library found that the amount spent on flood defences between 2007 and 2011 was £2.37billion, while the amount spent between 2011 and 2015 will be £2.34billion - a £247million cut in real terms.

Clearly the government did not care.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
It's getting very windy out there.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Frankly I'm not surprised.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Sounds like we'll need that dam, after all, dear.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Also, might be useful to learn to measure in cubits.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Gopher it!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

I'm more of a Kevin Coyne man.

I'm more of a Kevin Coyne man.

So is Mrs A, apart from being a woman.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
We seem to be sat between two very swollen rivers.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?

Rain, just fucking stop, will you!?  Enough, already!
Wombat

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Nacreous clouds over Aberdeen right now  :thumbsup:

Saw some nacreaous clouds over York years ago and have pics somewhere.

For the first time I can remember I was brought to a standstill by a headwind this morning.  I managed not to put foot to ground as I changed to my lowest gear but it was close.   Then I had to pedal bl**dy hard just to get down hill.   

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Nacreous clouds over Aberdeen right now  :thumbsup:

And again this evening. This time I had a camera:

nacreous_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Nacreous cloud over Darlington this morning, too.  Weird.  I don't think I like it, it's like diesel on a puddle.
Milk please, no sugar.

nacreous over york this morn

indicates damage to ozone layer, apparently
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
nacreous over york this morn

indicates damage to ozone layer, apparently

From Atmospheric Optics:

Type II
Nacreous clouds composed of ice crystals with temperatures of ~minus 85ºC.     
Type I
Less spectacular than nacreous clouds, more diffuse and less bright colours. Sometimes nacreous clouds are embedded in them. Type I clouds are slightly warmer (~ minus 78ºC) than Type II and are composed of exotic solids or liquid droplets.

Type Ia
Crystalline compounds of water and nitric acid - especially NAT, nitric acid trihydrate HNO3.3H2O
  Type Ib
Small spherical droplets of a solution of nitric and sulphuric acids. 
  Type Ic
Small non spherical particles of a metastable nitric acid - water phase

PSCs were long regarded as curiosities and of no real consequence. However, Type I clouds are now known as sites of harmful destruction of stratospheric ozone over the Antarctic and Arctic.   Their surfaces act as catalysts which convert more benign forms of man-made chlorine into active free radicals (for example ClO, chlorine monoxide). During the return of Spring sunlight these radicals destroy many ozone molecules in a series of chain reactions. Cloud formation is doubly harmful because it also removes gaseous nitric acid from the stratosphere which would otherwise combine with ClO to form less reactive forms of chlorine.