Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281599 times)

We had a teensy-weensy bit of thunder late last night, & a lot of water fell from the sky. I was pleased, as I hadn't watered the garden or the allotment.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
It rained earlier in M24. Fuck! It rained lots. 40 some years ago they built a shopping centre in the lowest part of the town centre with its ground floor below street level, on a site that flooded every Winter and culverted the adjacent river.

Guess what happened? And not for the first time either . . .

Town planners. Wankers.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Bloody hell it's hot.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have just watched some titanic wankspanner swimming away from his sunken Mercedes under a railway bridge in Wallington.

I larrffed.

Apposite.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Guy

• Retired
As I rode home from the pub yestere'en the stars were out, a silver half-moon hung low in the southern sky, the after-glow of sunset lit the northern sky, it was warm. And splodging with rain!

Summer :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Phew.  Wot a scorcher.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
bloody massive and V low moon in warwick tonight.

Bloody umid as well
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
There's a very impressive video from a storm chaser here.

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/storm-chasers-time-lapse-tornado-video-gorgeous-it-terrifying.html

I couldn't see how to link straight to the video.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

There's a very impressive video from a storm chaser here.

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/storm-chasers-time-lapse-tornado-video-gorgeous-it-terrifying.html

I couldn't see how to link straight to the video.

That, is stunning!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
^^^Yup. Thanks!

11:50 am, 28°C already. 40°C forecast for SW France today, a measly 32° for us.  35° tomorrow, though.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It is so hot out there the tarmac is literally melting on the roads. Admittedly, only in places where vehicles have spun their wheels, but even so... In the long run, we need to think about using a different grade of tar on Britain's roads (like they do in various hotter countries). Or stopping wheelspin. Oh, of course, silly me; the first would require spending money and the second would require putting some responsibility on drivers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Usually it deforms where a heavy vehicle has stood stationary on it.  Stop lines and bus stops.  I suppose it's all softening, but only squishing/tearing where it's under the most stress.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Asphalt is a visco-elastic material, like silly putty. Elastic when loaded quickly, plastic when loaded slowly. Increasing temperature reduces stiffness. Basically nothing to do with wheelspin and virtually entirely due to heavy axleloads and static/ slow-moving trucks/ buses.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I suppose there's the additional effect of it sticking to the heavily loaded stationary wheels and then tearing when they move off.  That would look much like you'd expect wheelspin-damage to.  Seems to effect newer tarmac more, presumably as there's more bitumen at the surface.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
The bitumen in asphalt doesn't stick to tyres to any significant degree. The aggregate can be pressed into the asphalt (depending on the particular mix and layer thickness), leaving a bitumen-rich surface layer that doesn't have the stiffness to avoid tyre tracks.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

It is so hot out there the tarmac is literally melting on the roads. Admittedly, only in places where vehicles have spun their wheels, but even so... In the long run, we need to think about using a different grade of tar on Britain's roads (like they do in various hotter countries). Or stopping wheelspin. Oh, of course, silly me; the first would require spending money and the second would require putting some responsibility on drivers.
he nearest bus stop to this house used to have deep bus-wheel-sized holes. They were filled in but soon reappeared. It's in a bus lane which is a convenient route into town - but for them holes.

Now there's a concrete slab.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Our roads here all having a rough-textured finish that gobbles your power, the bits where the tarmac has melted and the gravel sunk in are grand to ride on once the weather gets cooler.

Cudzoziemiec

The bitumen in asphalt doesn't stick to tyres to any significant degree. The aggregate can be pressed into the asphalt (depending on the particular mix and layer thickness), leaving a bitumen-rich surface layer that doesn't have the stiffness to avoid tyre tracks.
I think it must have been this that caught my attention yesterday. It was mostly outside a construction site, where there are tipper trucks and machinery manoeuvring. I've not noticed it on cooler days though. It was different from the depressions at stop lines and bus stops though. I've not noticed so much of those here – in Poland they used to be quite dramatic, but are less over the last ten years or so, which I think is due to better roadbuilding. I suppose enforcement of axle loadings would be a factor too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Bloody hot now. I made the mistake of strolling round the village in a clean shirt, now it's in the basket.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
There used to be (early 1990s) a bus-sized pothole at a stop in Southwark Street SE1, until a Delta Integrale fell into it and broke.  Presented with a bill for four fat Pirellis and three expensive alloys The Man sent round some cheery workmen whistling "Knees Up Mother Brown" to mend it the very next day.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Incredibly loud thunderstorm early this morning.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Caught in the Catch-22 heat trap overnight:

35° by day, still 28° at 11 pm, no wind, went to bed with fans on & windows open but no great effect;
2.30 am thunderstorm, 85 kph gusts so closed windows, air stayed hot indoors;
7.30 am woke up, opened windows, 25° & muggy outside, no wind. Fans still on, no great effect.

Cudzoziemiec

The 1st of August and it feels like autumn. I've had to put knee-length shorts on!

File under "things you don't want to see heading your way when out on a ride..."

http://www.boredpanda.com/dust-storm-microburst-jerry-ferguson-arizona/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

Looks like the US Army has resumed surface testing... or Prince Vlad has got itchy fingers.