Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279101 times)

We've had a covering here, Mrs A went to work in Scarborough at 6.00am and it ws snowing but she made it without any problem.  Village is now shut though as there are accidents on Staxton and also south of the village ( one report on Facebook says car overtook gritter/plough and spun ::-) )    so road closed in both directions. God job I was working from home today!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
On that subject .. I haven't seen the annual deluge of STUDDED TYRES threads! Perhaps everyone that was going to buy them has bought them in previous winters; other riders either stay indoors, or have "proper bike handling skills" so they don't see the need!

They'll be in the

"A random thread for tyreish things that don't warrant a thread of their own."
It is simpler than it looks.

Chris S

We've had a covering here, Mrs A went to work in Scarborough at 6.00am and it ws snowing but she made it without any problem.  Village is now shut though as there are accidents on Staxton and also south of the village ( one report on Facebook says car overtook gritter/plough and spun ::-) )    so road closed in both directions. God job I was working from home today!

Meanwhile, t'other side of t'moor - Teesside was mostly gridlocked. A19 shut. A174 blocked. A171 closed. Buses not serving villages between Skelton and Whitby. There's been, what, an inch of snow?  :facepalm:

I thought they were supposed to "do" this shit up here in t'North?  ???

ETA: Oh. And looks like they've cancelled our bin collection. Sigh...

Meanwhile, t'other side of t'moor - Teesside was mostly gridlocked. A19 shut. A174 blocked. A171 closed. Buses not serving villages between Skelton and Whitby. There's been, what, an inch of snow?  :facepalm:

I thought they were supposed to "do" this shit up here in t'North?  ???

ETA: Oh. And looks like they've cancelled our bin collection. Sigh...

My experience is no one in this country anywhere does this shit well!

But... apart from the numpty drivers that crashed and closed the village earlier, we have had our bin emptied this morning  ;D   Village school buses didnt turn up earlier, but roads are all clear now and snows melting quite quickly. Reckon it'll be gone by teatime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
No wrecks and nobody drownded
In fact, nowt to laff at at all!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

Unusual advantages to living on a building site, #152: The daily road-sweeper visit doubled as snow-clearance. He literally hoovered it up. Meanwhile the bin-men waited patiently at the main road, before coming into the estate and emptying our bins once the roads were clear enough.  :thumbsup:.

My bridge was closed 7:30 - 14:30 High Winds.

The long-awaited (and even requested) Transporter Bridge In Snow picture remains unsnapped.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I love the Transporter Bridge, will see it again next week.

Very icy on my road this morning, 4x4 and traction control very useful.

Unfortunate cyclist-vehicle collision on my way to the station, already lost of people there so no need for me to stop.  Not easy to see clearly but the bike and ride did not appear well lit
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Professor Larrington is currently in Tromso, en route to Svalbard, and complaining that it's too warm.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Professor Larrington is currently in Tromso, en route to Svalbard, and complaining that it's too warm.

An acquaintance is currently Down Under and registering a similar complaint, though I'm betting it's a bit warmer for her than for Professor Larrington.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

It was warmer up in t'north yesterday than back home.  I drove from 10C in Middlesbrough to 3C at home.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

An acquaintance is currently Down Under and registering a similar complaint, though I'm betting it's a bit warmer for her than for Professor Larrington.

The Prof contrived to leave Sydney just before it got insanely warm.  My grate frend Mr Sheen departed Blighty for Captain Cook's Mistake at about the same time as she was arrivIng at LHR; when Mr S got Down Under it was 41 degrees.

My grate frend Mr Sheen...[snip]

Barry of that ilk, or umpteen-things-clean-shining Mr Sheen?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
My grate frend Mr Sheen...[snip]

Barry of that ilk, or umpteen-things-clean-shining Mr Sheen?

Actually an Ian Of That Ilk.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I sat outside a café drinking tea and eating a tea cake in the lovely sunshine this morning. The temperature was 1°C.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I sat outside a café drinking tea and eating a tea cake in the lovely sunshine this morning. The temperature was 1°C in the shade
I assume?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

The Prof contrived to leave Sydney just before it got insanely warm.  My grate frend Mr Sheen departed Blighty for Captain Cook's Mistake at about the same time as she was arrivIng at LHR; when Mr S got Down Under it was 41 degrees.

BTDT, but in my case it was Mallorca, for a cycling holiday ffs

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics

I've just been watching  a webcam from Kjøllefjord, one of the places I visited in summer. There they probably regard Tromsø as the deep south. Today the sun rises for the first time this year, but it looks rather cloudy. Still, it's warmer there than here in Hampshire. Just.

http://www.hotelnordkyn.no/Webcam
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
We have just had our fourth consecutive day during which the temperature has dropped below freezing. This is the longest spell of frosty days since March 2013, during which there were 13 days with frost. That month was dominated by bitter NE winds and during the last 6 days of the month, the highest mean temperature for any of those days was 2.1°C and the maximum temperature during that 6 day period was 5.9°C.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
-15 on Svalbard, apparently.  Very silly place/time to hold an academic conference.

ian

I've been amusing myself by finding the coldest places on my little computer weather sidebar. For a while, it was Timmins (the coldest place I've been, -38 degrees Celsius in the shade), but that's relatively balmy at the moment. Thule is about -24 Celsius this morning but I reckon it might to get a relatively toasty -20 by lunchtime. Vostok station in the Antarcs is -31, but hey, it's summer.

Normally I'd be gloating from the Florida sunshine this time of year, but changes aboard the mothership means this year we motivate our sales teams in the bloody cold (even warm is not good enough reason to go to Dubai).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
My weather station recorded 18 deg C today, equalling the highest recorded anywhere in the UK. Apparently the official figure for Southend was 17 deg C.

I wonder what odds a bookie would offer on a UK temperature exceeding or equalling 20 deg C in December, January or February by the end of 2020? I reckon it might be worth a little flutter...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Don't know the temperature, but so warm here last night I had to open the bedroom window. Or maybe I'm getting ill?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It got down to 19.1C in our bedroom overnight.  No heating involved.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Happy Doris Day!
« Reply #424 on: 22 February, 2017, 05:44:58 pm »
Nothing really to add.  It just amused me to say that.

Happy Doris Day.   ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.