Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 280679 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Not a bloody drop here on the Sarf coast.  I did hear a muted rumble in the distance while I was out fighting to bail out the stupid little pond wot I should never have made, at the top of the garden.  I could have done with a cataclysmic downpour to wash the filthy stinking mess of stagnant water and leaf mould that was stuck to me.

Pond no longer exists, so garden a bit safer for new residents with silly small children when they move in.  There is still a much larger pond farther down, but one of them has already fallen in that during a visit, so he knows its there.  ;D
Wombat

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Rain - hooray!

I went out and stood in it for a bit.

Whilst it is entirely welcome, I may now need to re-empty the water but that had been emptied in preparation for moving it next to the other one and linking them. Ho hum.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Not a bloody drop here on the Sarf coast.  I did hear a muted rumble in the distance...

Whatever rain there is must be very localised - 30 seconds to a minute's worth in Pompey and a few desultory rumbles and that's it.  ::-)

On the plus side, the temperature has dropped to a tolerable level.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Early evening now and it's 34°C outside with the air like treacle.  It got dark overhead here a couple of hours ago and we braced for a storm, but now it's cleared again and there's a high white haze that'll hold the heat in nicely overnight unless it clears.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Not a bloody drop here on the Sarf coast.  I did hear a muted rumble in the distance...

Whatever rain there is must be very localised - 30 seconds to a minute's worth in Pompey and a few desultory rumbles and that's it.  ::-)

On the plus side, the temperature has dropped to a tolerable level.
I'm actually a bit North of you, in Purbrook, and Portsdown Hill often affects the weather. C'est la vie.
Wombat

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
It's raining a lot here today and it's coming through the office wall above several of the windows and dripping onto the windowsills. We've put a plant under the drips nearest to where we sit, and asked facilities manglement to bring us some snorkels.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's raining a lot here today and it's coming through the office wall above several of the windows and dripping onto the windowsills. We've put a plant under the drips nearest to where we sit, and asked facilities manglement to bring us some snorkels.
Time for some spin class:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Saddle height is all wrong!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
It's summer - Mrs P has switched the heating on  ::-)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Come on rain.  Where the hell are you?  I'm sweating a cob off here. 
I'm ready.  I mowed the lawn this evening and everything.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Come on rain.  Where the hell are you?  I'm sweating a cob off here. 
I'm ready.  I mowed the lawn this evening and everything.

Try lighting a barbecue.  If that doesn't work you might have to consider washing the car.

Basil

• Help me!
Petrichore.   Yes I had to look it up.
Smells different here than it used to in Birmingham.
In Brum it was definitely aluminium aluminium.
Here it's different.  Soil?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Petrichore.   Yes I had to look it up.
Smells different here than it used to in Birmingham.
In Brum it was definitely aluminium aluminium.
Here it's different.  Soil?

More plant oils less motor vehicle detritus?

(Birmingham currently smells mostly of uncollected bins.  It's been about a month now.  If they don't collect ours this week I'm going to have to start sneaking rubbish into empty student house bins.)

Basil

• Help me!
Crikey.  Is that strike still on?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Crikey.  Is that strike still on?

I think they're pulse-width modulating it, but not particularly intelligently.  A couple of missed collections ago I watched the lorry get halfway down the street before the crew climbed in and they sodded off.  Suspicious they keep starting every morning according to their normal schedule, and down tools leaving some areas completely ignored.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-bin-strike-extended-until-13346690 refers.

Until 13346690?  :o

Now that's what I call being determined not to budge in negotiations!  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Until 13346690?  :o

That's Thu, 04 Jun 1970 11:24:50 GMT unisex spaceadmin time.

Basil

• Help me!
unisex spaceadmin time.
That has never failed to make oi larf.  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Nice weather at 8 am so missus went for a jog to next village, came back drowned-ratsville but grinning.  I'm not even going across to the workshop without waders. Welcome to summer.

Yesterday, the weather lady-person on France Info remarked that extremely hot spells - we had 34.5° yesterday - alternating with heavy storms and flooding would get more frequent, more extreme and longer in the next few years. Feels about right.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

It's absolutely tipping down in Liverpool & has been for most of the night .  It's also been cold enough to wear a jacket going to work & a cardie in the office.   Global _warming_ ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

Increased intensity of rain is one of its predicted effects.

Basil

• Help me!
And the eventual failure of the gulf stream which will lead to cooler temperatures in the British Isles despite the average global warming.

However, I think Andrew was only tongue in cheek jesting.

I've always thought 'global warming' is a bit of a crap term - sounds too cuddly, especially on a damp November day. 'Climate disruption' is much closer to the mark.

Cudzoziemiec

Climate disruption, that is a good term. Even climate change can easily be interpreted as "we're going to have a Mediterranean climate".

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
was going to go out early this morning, woke to torrential rain overwhelming the guttering.

Hmm, maybe this afternoon
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens