Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279616 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Violent thunderstorm last evening w. ~2cm of rain but the garden was only damp this morning: it runs off fast and evaporates quickly once the sun's up. There are restrictions on water use in force in 68 out of our 96 départements. Not ours yet, but it's under discussion.

More forecast this afternoon/evening, showers and strong winds tomorrow.  Ô interesting times, I hate your guts.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Had the mother of all thunderstorms last night - continuous lightning, thunder and torrential rain with big hail. Lost the leccy in the night but the circuit breakers reset ok.  Glad I unplugged everything early having had a laptop trashed once. Thunder still rumbling in the distance.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Well, it is the 40th anniversary of Close Encounters.

Barry! BAAARRRRRRRRRIEEEE!!!1!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I've always thought 'global warming' is a bit of a crap term - sounds too cuddly, especially on a damp November day. 'Climate disruption' is much closer to the mark.

I have heard "Climate Chaos" used quite widely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Climate_Chaos
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Well, it is the 40th anniversary of Close Encounters.

Barry! BAAARRRRRRRRRIEEEE!!!1!

You'll have to explain - IIRC our encounter wasn't a close one! ;D

I'd just watched the Passchendaele commemoration and was thinking artillery barrages.  My neighbour knocked on the door just after I posted as his router had been plugged in and he couldn't get t'internet.  Says there was a long queue at the ISP in Limoges.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
VELOMANCER

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Had the mother of all thunderstorms last night - continuous lightning, thunder and torrential rain with big hail. Lost the leccy in the night but the circuit breakers reset ok.  Glad I unplugged everything early having had a laptop trashed once. Thunder still rumbling in the distance.

Yeah.  We've been diving for the plugs on and off over the last few days, despite having surge arrestors/UPSes.

We had a router fried a few years back. It was on y rental from Orange and the tech who replied to our call ("our Internet's out for some reason") raised an eyebrow and said "your contract doesn't cover lightning strikes", but followed it up with "so we'll not say anything".  The blitz came in via the phone line.

Funny thing is that, while we're assiduous about the computers & router, we never unplug our WAP, the house phone or the TV, and they've never suffered.  Yet.

No, I didn't unplug the TV etc, they are fine!  The landline phone is always unplugged as it only gets cold calls - who needs it?

Anyway just discovered Mrs H.M. Queen is a binge drinker :o  The horror!

Queen Elizabeth II .. a binge drinker

She'll go to an early grave if not more careful and then Charles III.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Goes to show that HMG have low standards.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington is not regretting his decision to fly to Denver next week rather than Houston.

The rainfall models I saw on Twitter last night were insane - they're talking about the worst-hit places getting up to a year's-worth of rain over the weekend and into next week, depending on how the storm system behaves.  :o

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Chris S

Yes - a metre of rain is just nuts!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Partner is on Way to Amarillo and hope his stay in Texas is well clear of hurricane.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Amarillo is well away from the coast but the tattered remnants of even distinctly Meh! hurricanes can cause dampness of the "road is closed, please take a hundred mile detour" variety a very long way inland.  Got caught by that in the area where Texas and New Mexico meet a few years back.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Talking of rain, I hope no-one was planning to use the Kyle of Lochalsh line to go touring any time soon!
https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/901373586090463232
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Amarillo is well away from the coast but the tattered remnants of even distinctly Meh! hurricanes can cause dampness of the "road is closed, please take a hundred mile detour" variety a very long way inland.  Got caught by that in the area where Texas and New Mexico meet a few years back.

I've not yet heard that he's been diverted. He is heading for Albuquerque today so is not far from where you were (or indeed in the same place...) He did say yesterday was wet.

Welp... The NOAA's national weather service have had to update their colour-coding in order to account for the incredible amounts of rain falling on southern Texas:

https://twitter.com/NWS/status/902174274571689984

And here's something we in Blighty don't have to worry about when it floods:

Pro tip: Don't touch the floating fire ant colonies. They will ruin your day. #Harvey

https://twitter.com/Mike_Hixenbaugh/status/901912379470077952
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
For the last fortnight we've been house sitting for friends in the Limousin. This morning I looked at the potted plants and decided they needed a drop of water.

An hour later, after a fortnight of almost unbroken sunshine, the heavens opened. So I'm sorry, it's all my fault...
VELOMANCER

Guy

• Retired
There was a very light touch of hoar on the grass in the sheltered bit of my front lawn this morning
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Chris S

Irma's looking mean. After she turns WNW in a few days time, she could be close to a Cat 5, and headed straight for Florida (via the Bahamas).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Meanwhile, Montana is mostly under a pall of smoke.  Eight years ago I arrived in Whitefish on the very day they closed Logan pass through Glacier National Park for the winter.  Today I arrived at the other end to find they'd closed Logan Pass because if was on fire.  Make a note in your diaries for 2025 >:(

Meanwhile, Montana is mostly under a pall of smoke. 

Well that isn't going to be good for this year's dental floss crop.

;)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
It seems most of western USAnia is either on fire or coughing its head off right now.  Nice Lady in the car park says the interstate through the Columbia River gorge had to be closed this afternoon and two towns evacuated.

Guess where I'm heading tomorrow ???

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Listening to reports from Guadeloupe as Irma approaches, expected some time this afternoon. 360 kph winds & 12-metre waves. Warning level gone from red to violet, with strict orders to stay indoors.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It seems most of western USAnia is either on fire or coughing its head off right now.  Nice Lady in the car park says the interstate through the Columbia River gorge had to be closed this afternoon and two towns evacuated.

Guess where I'm heading tomorrow ???

I wish you smooth travels.
Partner escaped LA at the weekend regretting he had not stayed longer.

There's no pleasing some folk!