Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 275097 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
A wee bit too simple, though the coffee-cup analogy is OK.  The nullschool.net site gives a far better picture of what's really happening, though.  If you take it up to 250 hPa it's even more emphatic.

One thing I have found is that the forecast average wind speed is pretty well what you get with the "Sfc" parameter for height, while the 850 hPa value is close to gusting speed. My private theory is that turbulence causes the higher airstream to dip, causing the gusts, but that could be completely wrong.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Chris S

Cause/Effect - all very interesting.

However - it's been the case my entire life of moderate weather interest; a long fetch East wind in February will mean one thing - fucking cold. T'was ever thus.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
One of the Quite Interesting facts we were forced to write as a punishment at st custards went:

When an anticyclone over northern Europe is well-developed in winter, the resultant outflowing north-easterly or easterly winds can bring bitterly cold weather to BRITAIN.

Just peered out of the window while getting another cup of Brown Drink and it appears to be snowing in E17.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
For reasons I won't go into here, I was in a local motorcar emporium on Saturday with the good Dr Beardy (Mrs). After our perusal of their wares and on our way home I voiced the observation that for all the years (a few times a several) I have been purchasing motorcars from various emporia, I have never come across a female sales droid. Ever. This comment occasioned a HARD THINK on both our parts (for Dr Beardy (Mrs) has frequently accompanied me on car purchasing expeditions), ands even after that activity, we were both in agreement that it was indeed the case that no female motorcar sales droids could be remembered. Yes, there are often 'receptionists' but never sales   droids.
This revelation triggered much knashing and grinding of teeth by Dr Beard (Mrs) for she is in actual fact a raving feminist.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I haven't got a Met. degree either, but here goes:

Normally you should see a wavy pinkish closed loop - the polar vortex, encircled by the jetstream - all the way round the pole. This keeps polar air over the pole, giving low temperatures, lots of sea ice, happy polar bears and oil tankers staying out. At the same time it keeps warmer southern air down here where it belongs.

Instead, climate change has meant that air over the poles is warmer and the jetstream is weaker, with the result that the polar vortex has broken up. You can see a large incursion of Atlantic air, bringing warmth from the Gulf Stream up over Iceland and the eastern coast of Greenland, while a parallel air stream is bringing easterly polar air down from Novaya Zemlya & C° along the west coast of Norway, over the North Sea and over Europe and the UK - what the tabloids are calling "the beast from the east".

The web site is fun: if you click on "earth" in the bottom left you get a menu where you can change altitude & time and select various overlays for wind speed, temperature, humidity, "misery index", etc.  Altitude's a bit funny: it's given in hectopascals where 1000 hPa = 1 atmosphere = approx. pressure at sea level. It decreases with height. I chose 500 hPa because it best matches what the various science comix are saying about the cold spell.

You can zoom in on your own area and see what's going to happen in the next few days. Gives a bit of depth to the weather map.
A good explanation of how global warming can make things colder too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Locally - sufficiently so to let twunts like The Donald scoff at the science and do SFA (or worse).

Cudzoziemiec

Yes, locally. But I was kind of thinking that if this reason were more well known, maybe people would understand that an exceptionally cold spell here and now does not contradict global warming.

Elselocally, it's -18 in northeast Poland.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Yes, locally. But I was kind of thinking that if this reason were more well known, maybe people would understand that an exceptionally cold spell here and now does not contradict global warming.

Yes.  The trouble is putting it across.  And I'm sure that plenty of party swine know it perfectly well but (a) their jobs require them to do nothing and (b) they don't reckon they'll be alive when the really bad stuff starts.  And (c) it's all part of God's plan, blessed be He.

Elselocally, it's -18 in northeast Poland.

Freeze-distillation concentrates methanol as well as eth. Shame, that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
For reasons I won't go into here, I was in a local motorcar emporium on Saturday with the good Dr Beardy (Mrs). After our perusal of their wares and on our way home I voiced the observation that for all the years (a few times a several) I have been purchasing motorcars from various emporia, I have never come across a female sales droid. Ever. This comment occasioned a HARD THINK on both our parts (for Dr Beardy (Mrs) has frequently accompanied me on car purchasing expeditions), ands even after that activity, we were both in agreement that it was indeed the case that no female motorcar sales droids could be remembered. Yes, there are often 'receptionists' but never sales   droids.
This revelation triggered much knashing and grinding of teeth by Dr Beard (Mrs) for she is in actual fact a raving feminist.

I bought a car from a female salesdroid once.  (To be fair, it was the only time I've actually bought a car.)  It was brilliant, I hardly even needed my Token Man[1], other than for actual mechanical advice.

[1] It's a sad fact of life that there are some things that just aren't worth attempting as an unaccompanied woman, and dealing with used car salesmen is definitely one of them.

Cudzoziemiec

The sea has frozen at Weston-super-Mud. Well, some beach surf has frozen.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-43199496

However - it's been the case my entire life of moderate weather interest; a long fetch East wind in February will mean one thing - fucking cold. T'was ever thus.

This is the type of weather forecast we need on the BBC!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

This is the type of weather forecast we need on the BBC!

This is what @bollocksweather is for.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I did once notice a BBC weatherbod, I think it was Little Tommy Nackertacker, describe the day's weather as "amazeballs".

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

One of the lesser known effects of global warming.

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m not sure whether this should be in the rant thread, the grumble thread or the first world problems thread, so I’ll put it in here as it sort of follows on from my last post here.
Dr Beardy (Mrs) has vetoed the purchase of the motorcar of my desirousness, namely a Mustang GT V8  >:(
Whether this is because she saw Matt Le Blank arsing around in it moments before I mentioned my wantage or whether it is just some mean streak she has I cannot say.  >:( and indeed  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

My wife’s car was bought from a female sales person, and at a main dealer franchise to boot.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist

[/quote]i didn’t quite understand this comment earlier (whom I kidding, I hadn’t got a clue what you were on about) but I’ve just understood it.
I’m in the wrong thread aren’t I?
I’ll be over in the 'what a div I am' thread if anyone wants me.  :-[ :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer

i didn’t quite understand this comment earlier (whom I kidding, I hadn’t got a clue what you were on about) but I’ve just understood it.
I’ll be over in the 'what a div I am' thread if anyone wants me.  :-[ :facepalm:

There's probably a connection between Mustang GT V8 and climate change, so you're OK here.

I thought V8 was veggie juice until I discovered Bullitt.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

i didn’t quite understand this comment earlier (whom I kidding, I hadn’t got a clue what you were on about) but I’ve just understood it.
[/quote]

:)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I’m not sure whether this should be in the rant thread, the grumble thread or the first world problems thread, so I’ll put it in here as it sort of follows on from my last post here.
Dr Beardy (Mrs) has vetoed the purchase of the motorcar of my desirousness, namely a Mustang GT V8  >:(
Whether this is because she saw Matt Le Blank arsing around in it moments before I mentioned my wantage or whether it is just some mean streak she has I cannot say.  >:( and indeed  >:(

I did about eight thousand miles in a Mustang GT V8 last year and reckon that 99% of the time you will not notice the extra 125 bhp over the cooking V6 version.  The latter goes round corners better too.  Try to sell this to Dr Beardy (Mrs) as a compromise.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
This Winter is officially 'cold'. Just been to use the outside bog and found it frozen over.

Not seen that in the last five years . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
-11°C overnight according to our old A4, which sleeps rough these days.  It had to turn over a couple of times before starting, too - very unusual.

Lowest we had last year was -10.6°C.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
It's been rather well-ventilated here today. We've been watching the waves crash over the lighthouse on the breakwater and boats struggling to get in and out of the harbour  :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
One hopes the snow at Twickenham
Will not be over-thickenham.

Beardy

• Shedist
One hopes the snow at Twickenham
Will not be over-thickenham.
the England pack need all the help they can get, though I’m not sure exactly what would help them against the Ireland pack. I suspect a very bad tempered game tomorrow.  :(