Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281843 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m in THAT LONDON to meet some of my off spring. I got rained on. It was rather refreshing I have to say. A shortage of tuits has left the rain gauge out of service and therefore I cannot report on the volume, or indeed the actuality of any rainfall at Beardy Towers on a count of being, as previously reported, in THAT LONDON
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
There's rain not far off, I can smell it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The rain in this corner of That London has amounted to Not Very Much.

ETA NW3 Weather recorded 6.4mm in past 24 hours.

It's windy and the sky is mostly clear.

Since yesterday afternoon we've had 3.6mm of rain here on the western frontier of London, the first for many weeks.

Forecast is for much more tomorrow, so shan't be cycling.  :(

I think I awoke to some rain here in Hastings at two ish but not certain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Blowing a hoolie across the fens, and plenty more of the wet stuff
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
We had rain at audax o'clock and it's currently a lot cooler and rather windy.  No sign of the thunderstorms we were half-promised.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Blowing a hoolie across the fens, and plenty more of the wet stuff

So, what's new?  As a Lincolnshire Yellerbelly, that seemed to be the normal conditions before I escaped back in '72...….   ;D

It's cooler than it was , but very very windy.   We had a rumble of thunder & some rain earlier, but not much.    Now sunny.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Doing an 11 mile walk round Crummock Water, Rannerdale and Buttermere on the hottest day in the last  50 years was probably a bit of a daft idea. Half a litre of water drunk on the first half of the walk then two pints of shandy in the pub at Loweswater. Water bottles refilled off again. The last climb before dropping down into Buttermere I'm sure the dog was looking at me accusingly. She fell asleep when we had a rest at the summit anyway.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
Went out for a quick spin during a sunny period earlier today, despite it being a bit windy.  Actually, it must have been more than a bit windy, because a large oak tree (maybe 20-25m tall?) had blown down across the cycle route. A quick check to make sure no-one was trapped beneath it, and I skirted round and went on my way.  Still wondering whether I should have reported it to the local council, on whose land (I think) it now lies.  It's on the edge of a council estate, so there'll soon be plenty of people aware, if they aren't already.
A certain sense of relief that I hadn't been there a bit earlier.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Quick look at the rain radar suggests that the BIG rain forecast for tomorrow may actually skim us, or miss us completely.
BN. Lack of washout means I don't get out of the village clean up team at 8.30 tomorrow morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

I've woken up, and for the first time in weeks, I've felt the need to put on some clothes.
And there's some wet stuff falling out of the sky.

Raining again in Liverpool,  that's cancelled my plans for al fresco bike fettling.  I think the barbecue my sister was going to may be in peril as well.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Lots of rain, this weekend, in North Yorkshire.

Which is great for the garden, not so good for actually getting out on the bike as I am really nervous of roads made damp after long periods of dry.

Might just have to set up the turbo, in the conservatory.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

Woke up to the sound of wind in the trees and the patter of raindrops on the window. Then cold, wet cat paws in the face, should any doubt as to the inclemency of the conditions persisted. This can only mean one thing: my wife has an outdoor gig.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
A decent night's sleep at last!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Proper English summer yesterday. Blue sky and heavy downpours alternating abruptly. Love it!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It has rained enough here for Black Cat to wet David's papers when she jumped onto the dining table, which she hasn't done much in the past.
David is Not Pleased about damaged paperwork.

Water butt has little content.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
waterbutt one was full yesterday, but had not got to the overflow point into WB2
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Much the same here: about 150 li in the primary butt (~1 cm of rain) and a piddler's dribble into the secondary butt.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
36°C with a few heavy-looking clouds. None forecast, but we might have a storm to cool things down a bit.

Ah yes.  That's why my Cowon iAudio7 MP3 player has been left on a shelf all of these years. Great battery life, good sound quality. Awful control interface  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
From an 11 year old girl who's just moved from Hong Kong to a New York winter:
In Hong Kong, ... as soon as school was over, I'd revert to sandals and bare skin in the sun. I was used to seeing the tips of my toes, my bare calves and shoulders; now that they had to be constantly covered, I missed myself.
I suppose it's more a climate thing than a weather thing, but I empathise and sympathise. The feeling of lightness you get from living in a place where minimal clothes are required is wonderful. It also makes dressing up more dressy!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Last night was our first true heat-wave night, with the temperature staying above 20°C all night.  The village stream has shrunk to a few weed-choked pools.  We have thick clouds overhead and rumbling thunder but nothing is coming down. An area council water-cart is going round to flush through the sewers.