Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281647 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Our long spell of beautiful weather is due to break tomorrow afternoon with rain & gusty winds, after which temperatures are supposed to drop by 10°C. Tomorrow is also the official beginning of autumn.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
I prefer the meteorological Autumn - some chance of decent weather for early September.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Work's closed tomorrow morning  :thumbsup:

Damn you Intercall  :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
12 degrees and raining is not, I'm told, typical for Calgary in late September.  This is of little comfort.

ETA: My grate frends Al'n'Alice are in or near Red Deer AB.  150 km north.  They haz SNO :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Friday evening, check local and national forecasts: rain by 14:00 - 18:00 h. Saturday am, hang out washing then go for a walk - having watched the forecast first with same details.
Nearly 4 miles away, rain at 10:05 h. Get home slightly damp. Washing in same state.
Look at forecast (slow learner!), decide to leave washing where it is until Sunday pm/Monday pm/until dry.
Go to pub, get wet inside to restore balance.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just had one of those 100 kph gusts they promised us, and everything outside greyed out by rain & spray.

Oof.

Chris S

Sounds like the Semaine Federale picnique this year  ::-)

First frost (well, soft ice on the windscreen) of the year for us this morning. I foresee arriving home this evening to find the winter weight duvet laid out ready.

Edit: It’d been put on the bed already  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Despite the lovely sunshine yesterday and today, it was cold enough last night that I was ordered to turn on the heating. I was hoping to hold out until next week, but I guess that's it until spring now.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I'm in Hammerfest this week adn went out for  run above the town, trying to complete a route I got lost in the dark/snow on last November.

It was fecking windy - we're talking Fens++ here, which in itself was OK, until the hail started and it was like somebody firing pellets at exposed legs and face.  Try running into it whilst trying to follow an 18" wide trail off road and protect your face.

All the islands across the fjord turned white overnight. Very pretty, that Slartibartfast did a good job.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I was supposed to be going to Cairo in August but it got cancelled due to a broken plane. Given the weather here at the time I was not at all sad.
Thought it would be cooler next week. Holy fucksticks. Apparently not much  :-\
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
'Cos heart I'm not allowed to ride if 5°C <= temp <= 30°C.  Beginning of last week that meant no afternoon riding; this week it means no setting out until 9 am, and then wearing so much clobber that I need a saddlebag to shed into once it warms up. Which it doesn't, much.

ElyDave

I'm off to Dhahran next weekend, just checked the forecast - 38C  :demon:

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
I'm off to Dhahran next weekend, just checked the forecast - 38C  :demon:

Lucky you!  Many years ago I sat for 9 hours on a BA Tristar, waiting for clearance to t/o with a fault, because BA decreed we'd be more comfortable on the aircraft than in the old Dhahran terminal.  I suspect they were right, but 9 hours on orange juice was a bit character forming.  The t/o was further character forming.  We'd loaded for an 0200 t/o, when it was cool.  At 1100 it was hot, so less lift and thrust etc.  We used the long (military) runway, and lumbered into the air as the black and white bands at the end of the r/way passed by my window.  You could almost smell the tension in the cockpit.

In those days ('78 ish) you had to pay for booze on BA.  On this trip it was a free bar all the way to LHR.  After 9 hours on the tarmac at Dharan, we needed it.

You have my sympathies.

ElyDave

I've spent many hours on RAF tristars, bloody noisy things. 

Flying Air France out, KLM back, so enough booze to then compensate for the next two weeks of sobriety. (Yes, I do realise how bad that sounds)

ian

They can't pay me enough to go to Saudi any more. And if they do, I tick the I'm a Jew box on the visa application. OK, I might just tick all the boxes because everything about Saudi is a bit shit and I don't wanna go. It's like Dubai but without the culture.

Sometimes, when travelling to the US I'm tempted to declare my moral turpitude. Not because I don't want to go, just that it sounds like it might be more fun than any alternative.

ElyDave

I'm going to start with jaywalking and progress to moral turpitude

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Why do they have to say moral turpitude?  Depravity can't be anything but moral.

And why does Google offer to translate it into Norwegian for me?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Weatherwise, online chum of Mrs T is right under the projected track of Hurricane Michael's epicentre.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Feral recycling bins are roaming the street in little gangs. Probably best to stay in today.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Chris S

Pretty much the only thing to make an interval session on a turbo tolerable, is doing it next to a window against which a lot of rain is being lashed by a good old Yorkshire gale.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
It rains in Yorkshire?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It rains in Yorkshire?

Lancashire's sloppy seconds.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Eww...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Chris S

:facepalm: