Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279644 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The nights are drawing out!!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Winter draws away!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
MrsT tells me that one of her on-line running chums went for a morning trot along the Chicago Lakeside Trail yesterday morning despite a 'bit gusty' weather forecast. She got turned back by emergency workers who had rescued two runners blown off the trail into the lake and were looking for a third.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
A chilly start to the year? Blame Angela and Donald.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Snow on the Berwyns this morning, between Llangollen and Bala. First of 2019.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The roads are covered with plastic bottles, soggy cardboard and the occasional recycling box. Fun. And the papers didn't arrive at the shop where my son does his paper round (problem for the shopkeeper who might lose customers, rather than for my son).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just finished getting a week's wood over from the barn, moved the car out of same and well into the drive, put away garden chairs, put wheelie bin under shelter, got every chargeable device on charge and drunk a cup of tea. Gales approaching, the barn has a dodgy roof that I don't want on top of the car, and the juice might go off.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My parents, who are staying in Jerusalem, are envious of my London weather.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I'm officially declaring spring, my bonsai cherry trees are in blossom. I've not checked the Myrobalan plum in the garden yet

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Over here in the west too.  The buds on the Camelia are just beginning to burst open - another day of warm weather and it'll be spring again.

But as my late dad used to say, the winter of '47 didn't begin until March.  And we had snow here in April last year.  Fingers crossed.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
The 'Beast fron the East last year was the last week in Feb first week in Mar.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
Yesterday was the first day of the year when the temperature in the loft exceeded that in the bedroom (16.8 vs 16.0).
Rather skewed by no sunshine in the window early on then sunshine on the roof. Still, I always look forward to this happening.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Over here in the west too.  The buds on the Camelia are just beginning to burst open - another day of warm weather and it'll be spring again.

But as my late dad used to say, the winter of '47 didn't begin until March.  And we had snow here in April last year.  Fingers crossed.

Your late dad, or yourself was/are a bit confused I think. The winter of ‘47 started 20 Jan and ended with a thaw in mid-March. The weather was the opposite of what we have atm, then it was an anticyclone over Scandinavia, now it’s cyclonic weather stuck there.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Help me!
Phew, what a scorcher!  Record February temperature of 20.something recorded here in Ceredigion. 
Wtf?  :o

Basil

• Help me!
Something odd about these two tweets turning up in my timeline within minutes of each other.
https://twitter.com/CeredigionCC/status/1100036495241609216
and
https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1100017946498420738

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

Your late dad, or yourself was/are a bit confused I think. The winter of ‘47 started 20 Jan and ended with a thaw in mid-March. The weather was the opposite of what we have atm, then it was an anticyclone over Scandinavia, now it’s cyclonic weather stuck there.
I wasn’t about, being -7 years old at the time, but I do recalling reading somewhere that 5th March 1947 registers as one of the most vicious weather days of the 20th century in the uk, based upon a combination of temperature, wind speed and snowfall.

Edit: no need to rely on memory. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1946–47_in_the_United_Kingdom Refers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have thought for some years that a bet in the bookies on a winter’s day in the UK reaching 20°C before 1/1/2020 would have been some easy money. Now my chance to win it has gone.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

I wasn’t about, being -7 years old at the time, but I do recalling reading somewhere that 5th March 1947 registers as one of the most vicious weather days of the 20th century in the uk, based upon a combination of temperature, wind speed and snowfall.

Edit: no need to rely on memory. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1946–47_in_the_United_Kingdom Refers.

Linky no worky :-(

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Phew, what a scorcher!  Record February temperature of 20.something recorded here in Ceredigion. 
Wtf?  :o

Meanwhile, a Farcebok friend is moaning because February in LA is set to be the coldest evvah.  And yet she's planning on moving to Washington DC :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
In 'Ampstead, 'Ertfordshire and 'Ampshire
'Urricanes 'ardly ever 'appen...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47487290

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Spring Update,

more blossom and leafburst

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens