Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 280956 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Meanwhile, in a galaxy getting further away every day:

https://www.windy.com/48.943/7.803?48.942,7.803,16

One is FFU.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

essexian

Well I was not expecting Snow in Stafford this morning!

Just woken up by the cats demanding breakfast at 5.45am...they were told no but seem not to know what it means and upon popping outside to feed the strays who had also gathered for a meal, was confronted by a white garden and drive!

Okay, it won't last (well it better not as I am planning to go swimming in an hour or so and as I don't yet have a pool in my garden, I will need to travel) but there was nothing in the forecast I saw last evening about such.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Meanwhile, we are being battered by 100 kph winds and occasional flurries of rain.  This being a wooden-framed house, it tends to sway a bit under the strongest gusts - my screen was shaking a bit just now.

Out back at lunchtime we saw this:

There's a bit of a valley beyond the first treeline there and there was a shower moving up it.  As the clouds covered and uncovered the sun we had this low-down rainbow appearing and disappearing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Storm Gareth.  Storm Gareth?   :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
Storm Gareth.  Storm Gareth?   :)

Actually. Fuck!  :o

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Not a very butch name for what I'm seeing out o the window.

Storm Geronimo would have been better. From the forecast though, I'm going to struggle to get a 50 km tester in ahead of next weekend's audax
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes

There's a bit of a valley beyond the first treeline there and there was a shower moving up it.  As the clouds covered and uncovered the sun we had this low-down rainbow appearing and disappearing.

I've never seen one like that! I've seen bows that look very close (because the rain is so dense), but the arc was still the usual shape. I can't get my head round how yours was created. Intriguing!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Our power went out at 9.30am on Sunday and we didn't get it back until 10.30pm. Later found out it was because of a tree/branch falling on the overhead power line.

As it was so windy, we didn't even leave the house until the evening (to go for chips and let the dog have a bit of a run about). Didn't stay out too long though - it had died down a bit by then but was still pretty ferocious.

My wife was wondering what it registered on the Beaufort scale. She reckoned it must have been an eight - "Twigs break off trees; generally impedes progress" - but I said I thought it was stronger than that.

I was proved right yesterday morning when I noticed that one of our apple trees had been blown over.  :(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!

I've never seen one like that! I've seen bows that look very close (because the rain is so dense), but the arc was still the usual shape. I can't get my head round how yours was created. Intriguing!

I don't know the geometry of rainbows but most of the rainbows I remember have been in the late afternoon and have had high arches and an end striking the land at right angles. This is a lunchtime shot so the sun will have been much higher in the sky.

I'm sure that that has a bearing on the height and shape of the rainbow.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Sunday was a tad blowy in Oxfordshire. Moltonaught's twin garage doors were doing the Model X/Falcon doors dance. We managed to avoid a door/head interface but it was a close call once or twice.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Tree down in my sister's garden down in the New Forest, just missed the garage.

Driving a slab-sided green beast to BSE and back was "interesting" today.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

It's a bit windy out there. :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
According to the weather app on my phone, sunrise today was at 6.01 am, and sunset will be at 6.05pm, ie with 12 hours and 4 minutes’ daylight. Yet the equinox isn’t until Wednesday 20th at 9.58pm. How can this be?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Refraction by the atmosphere.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

According to the weather app on my phone, sunrise today was at 6.01 am, and sunset will be at 6.05pm, ie with 12 hours and 4 minutes’ daylight. Yet the equinox isn’t until Wednesday 20th at 9.58pm. How can this be?

Equinox is, I read (because I had the same thought as you, tho here it's 06:11 and 18:12) when the sun crosses the equator. I assume the disparity between that, and the equal length of day and night, is due to the Earth being tilted off a vertical axis.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Refraction by the atmosphere.

Also sunrise is when the suns upper edge appears above the horizon, sunset is when the upper edge dissapears below the horizon leaving the time taken for the disc to cross the horizon to be added to the day length. If we used the midpoint of the disc crossing the horizon for both things might be clearer.

I think.

I seem to remember Timeanddate has an explanation.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Science or something.

I was brought up with "God makes it happen" as an explanation for all weather and stuff, which made all discussion on the topic really boring, so I lost interest. Dinosaur not existing had a similar effect.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ian

It the earth is flat, does that mean the sun is flat too?

I felt the heat in London yesterday, and was glad of my hat, and discovered this morning that someone had "tidied up" all the old sun cream  :facepalm: I don't think I'm burnt, but it was warm enough for shorts today (and I'm a likes to keep warm sort).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It the earth is flat, does that mean the sun is flat too?
No. The sun is highly carbonated. HTH.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
First time out in the garden in a t-shirt this year.
I haz a happy :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Shorts today. Well, long Humvee style shorts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Shorts, short sleeves, short socks. Lovely.

Basil

• Help me!
One of the little houses down below the back of ours has smoke coming out of its chimney this morning, as it did yesterday also.  ???
I can only assume that is their only way of water heating or cooking or something.