Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281217 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
We have just received an email from the head of People saying we can wear what we want tomorrow as it is supposed to be the hottest day in many years: if ever (33c according to the Met Office).

Any suggestions gratefully received.....  ;D :thumbsup:

Suit of armour?

OK then, how about a green Afghan jock strap with clear plastic wellies half filled with green ink?

A Boy Scout uniform?

Given the weather, and indeed the pollen count, space suit seems like the obvious choice.  Apollo-era would be commemorative, if less than ideal in most other respects.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
We have just received an email from the head of People saying we can wear what we want tomorrow as it is supposed to be the hottest day in many years: if ever (33c according to the Met Office).

Probably couldn't get it delivered in time...
It is simpler than it looks.

Suit of armour?

OK then, how about a green Afghan jock strap with clear plastic wellies half filled with green ink?

A Boy Scout uniform?

Given the weather, and indeed the pollen count, space suit seems like the obvious choice.  Apollo-era would be commemorative, if less than ideal in most other respects.

IIRC, one of the layers of an EVA suit is a cooling system, so they have that going for them.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

essexian

A space suit seems a great idea although I am a little worried after watching this from Tim Dodds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3s7BjU6sDg

As I am about to cause some issues with management, I think the suit of armour might be most appropriate....  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
In an attempt at more general rat management, I've sent the council a moan about their general failure to collect the bins for the second week running.  It is, of course, excellent weather for it.
Two weeks running? Pathetic! Ours got to five before they finally collected it... (although that was the recycling rather than rubbish proper - they only collect that every two weeks anyway).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris S

So, the predicted high for London tomorrow is 39c. It's easy to miss the significance of this.

We're on a tiny island, surrounded by sea that's even now, pretty cold; go swim in the North Sea if you need reminding how cold. Really high temperatures typically need large continental masses, or really really warm seas - y'know, like bathwater warm.

London is a vast mass of concrete and tarmac, that's true - but it's also very near the cold sea. For a temperate island to be making that kind of temperature is pretty significant, and not in a good way.

Cudzoziemiec

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
So, the predicted high for London tomorrow is 39c. It's easy to miss the significance of this.

We're on a tiny island, surrounded by sea that's even now, pretty cold; go swim in the North Sea if you need reminding how cold. Really high temperatures typically need large continental masses, or really really warm seas - y'know, like bathwater warm.

London is a vast mass of concrete and tarmac, that's true - but it's also very near the cold sea. For a temperate island to be making that kind of temperature is pretty significant, and not in a good way.

but global warming is a hoax don't you know. I've had two people tell me that this month so it must be true. it's all a NASA hoax don't you know?

today, 7km to the docs to get my ears unblocked, long way home for a total of about 20km, before lunch and I was leaking like a Boris Johnson Brexit policy
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

Dilemma strikes. Stay home, sit out on the balcony of the Remote Command Centre and hope there's enough breeze to prevent my very spontaneous human combustion (one boon, it might be too hot for some fucker down the valley to start mowing the lawn, chainsawing a tree, or demolishing a large building, or whatever the noisy fuck someone always commences the moment I usually step out in the garden). It certainly promises to be hot enough to discourage a noisy fuck. Any kind of fuckery, tbh. They can parachute pulchritudinous redheads into my garden and even this boy of lamentable morals and limboing virtue will be saying not this afternoon, my dears. I plan on being too hot to even enumerate their freckles.

Or despatch early to the mothership and entrust myself to its asthmatic cooling systems. This will, of course, mean a fiery ride home or the train (which is at least is Thameslink's finest and actually still has functional a/c but will be full of smelly people).

It was hovering around 38-39 (heat index 45+) Celsius in NYC at the weekend. There was a heat emergency covering 2/3rds of the US population.

Dilemma strikes. Stay home, sit out on the balcony of the Remote Command Centre and hope there's enough breeze to prevent my very spontaneous human combustion (one boon, it might be too hot for some fucker down the valley to start mowing the lawn, chainsawing a tree, or demolishing a large building, or whatever the noisy fuck someone always commences the moment I usually step out in the garden). It certainly promises to be hot enough to discourage a noisy fuck. Any kind of fuckery, tbh. They can parachute pulchritudinous redheads into my garden and even this boy of lamentable morals and limboing virtue will be saying not this afternoon, my dears. I plan on being too hot to even enumerate their freckles.

Or despatch early to the mothership and entrust myself to its asthmatic cooling systems. This will, of course, mean a fiery ride home or the train (which is at least is Thameslink's finest and actually still has functional a/c but will be full of smelly people).

It was hovering around 38-39 (heat index 45+) Celsius in NYC at the weekend. There was a heat emergency covering 2/3rds of the US population.
Thing is, I find myself in a similar predicament - by the time it comes for  a train ride home, the rails may well be buckled.
It's a spendy cab ride from Waltham Forest to Forest Hill.

NB - I too could work from home.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Barakta's going to Leicester tomorrow, on the assumption that the trains may b0rk and strand her there.  Meanwhile I'm making a list of all the nearby cinemas, data centres, clean rooms and biosafety level 3+ labs that might accept a refugee.

I managed to listen to part of tonights Prom , but have just turned the hifi off.  A 50W valve amp is like turning on an electric fire in this weather.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

I'm staying home, with a plan to swim at lunchtime

ian

Indeed, it'll be melty-rail rail-fail, so that'll likely leave me 20 miles in the heat. Up a hill. On a Brompton.

Yeah, I think I'll stay home in the remote command centre and go for a lunchtime swim.

I may be mad, but I'm not quite that mad.

Cudzoziemiec

Barakta's going to Leicester tomorrow, on the assumption that the trains may b0rk and strand her there.  Meanwhile I'm making a list of all the nearby cinemas, data centres, clean rooms and biosafety level 3+ labs that might accept a refugee.
Only £6 on Natty Ex! Don't know if you can book on the spot though.

essexian

25c this morning at 8am and my neighbours are having a BBQ for breakfast!!!!!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Only 37°C forecast for us this afternoon. Strasberry's due the full 40, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

I'm impressed that Southern have already cancelled 50% of the trains on our route in advance of it getting warm.

ian

Oh, and as I'm sitting with the patio doors etc. open there is, of course, an alarm going off somewhere nearby. It's been going off since 9am, so now over an hour. Sounds like a burglar alarm.

I'm not sure who makes alarms that go off for hours, but really, if someone hasn't responded in five minutes, it's not going to happen, because by that time people are going to start hope the owner did get burgled and then start to create impressively detailed fantasies for their demise.

And you know what happens when any alarm goes off in 2019. It gets ignored, that's what.

Oh wait, it's finally stopped...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Bloody Hell!  And it's only 11 am.
Luckily, I don't think we're suffer as badly over here as some of you to the East.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

Remote Command Centre just hit 30 degrees indoors. It got too hot outside even in the shade, so I retreated within. The fan is currently blowing warm air at me which, as climate control goes, is a bit of a shrug.

Two of my US colleagues are in town this week, they got the Tube yesterday. One of them actually melted.

ElyDave

28C when I woke up this morning

I've opened the car windows pre-emptively before I go swimming, but I'm expecting mid-high 30's by now

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It hit 30C at 09:20 this morning.  Currently 33C.

I've closed all the windows, it's hotter outside than in.

ian

30.2 in the RCC, 31.5 upstairs and a mild 29.1 degrees in the shady kitchen. I don't think anywhere in the house has dropped below 28 degrees all week. Last night was a sauna, memory foam mattresses are basically hot plates in this sort of weather. We need anti-gravity beds. Come on science!

Bad Cat is lying in her shaded hut outside, paws akimbo out the door hole. She may be stupid, but she has the right idea. No idea where LMC is holed up, she's normally the smarter of the two and snaffles up the shaded hut. I alas, can't fit inside, or I'd evict Bad Cat.

ElyDave

36C according to the car