Author Topic: Etrex Legend HCx not visible to MS Vista  (Read 1456 times)

Etrex Legend HCx not visible to MS Vista
« on: 15 April, 2009, 08:51:16 pm »
I have bought an Etrex Legend HCx and have it connected to my Vista empowered(?) laptop.  I want to copy a Garmin .img file I've downloaded to the SD card to give myself some mapping, but Vista doesn't seem to be able to see my GPS nor the SD card therein whilst the GPS is connected via the USB cable provided.

I've tried setting the GPS to Mass Storage Device mode in Settings > Interface on the GPS, but that does nothing. Vista seems to recodnise that a device is connected via USB, but it just doesn't show up in Explorer.

Any suggestions?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Etrex Legend HCx not visible to MS Vista
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2009, 08:54:23 pm »
I think you have to install MapSource from the CD.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2009, 09:02:13 pm »
Nope, but you do have to install the Garmin device drivers.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »
Ah - I probably did them all at the same time.  I just put the CD in, ignored the EULA and clicked everything.  As usual  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2009, 10:34:10 pm »
Absolutely.  I downloaded the CD from the Garmin site and did the same.  One day, one of those will say, "Welcome to the Blahdeblah Install Wizard.  Please mash 'Next' until you see a progress bar, then go make a brew."
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2009, 11:23:34 pm »
Thanks all, I now have mapping (of sorts), it was the device drivers. Although I've previously downloaded and installed drivers I think I've only just found the Vista compatible drivers.

A