Author Topic: Waterproof Trousers recommendations please  (Read 1494 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Waterproof Trousers recommendations please
« on: 05 November, 2020, 10:53:33 pm »
I only popped out for a pint of milk, but I seem to have returned as a Bikeability Instructor (well I've done a course so far...) anyhow there is a fair bit of standing around and getting cold & wet, with my lycra being frowned upon as instructor attire.

I got some use out of my Gore active overtrousers during the training, but they are quite old (2015) and not overly waterproof plus hard to get on and off when needed over my shoes, additionally, no pockets etc... add to this I can get £50 towards a new pair of "waterproof trousers" (unfortunately I can't claim this against the existing old Gore ones) so looking for recommendations towards trousers which also provide some practicality...

Presently looking at Endura Hummvee Zip-off Cycling Trousers II which purport to offer DWR waterproofing and pockets... but any recommendations (or reviews) would be welcome.
Regards,

Joergen

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Waterproof Trousers recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2020, 06:56:25 am »
I just use basic waterproof hiking trousers and put them on over my lycra when I get to the school on cold, wet days. On warmer days I slip on a pair of baggy shorts with zip pockets, on some really wet days I'll take a towel and complete change of cycling gear to ride home in. I'm unusual though as most of my co-instructor drive to the schools so don't have to worry about wearing cycling gear so to speak.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2020, 07:13:40 am »
No experience yet, but Decathlon sell waterproof sailing over trousers with pockets for about £18, and they actually look like a pair of trousers!. Presumably you only need standing around/ short ride jobbies, as you'll not be working up much of a sweat . I'd go cheap.....unless you are using it as an excuse to upgrade you're own?

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2020, 07:49:48 am »
I bought the Endura MT500 Spray trousers off the back of the following review. They also do a fully waterproof version which is mentioned in the article. There are some updates in the product since this review.

As my big mountainous rides haven't happened this year, I've not worn them in anger outdoors. I have worn them around the house though, and they certainly fit the bill for being quite normal in general use, not obviously cycling specific.

https://bikepacking.com/gear/endura-mt500-review/

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2020, 08:20:06 am »
I have a pair of Showers Pass Skyline trousers, not entirely waterproof being made in a combination of materials, waterproof where it matters and stretchy where it's needed.  I use them for delivery work where there's also a lot of standing around, not cheap, your voucher will need doubling even at today's sale price, mine paid for themselves several times over when I've been last cyclist working when everyone else had gone home! I find them comfortable enough to wear all day, you do notice that some moisture gets through, but I've never been miserable in them.
https://showerspass.co.uk/collections/mens-pants/products/skyline-pant

They also do a range of other trousers, which I have no experience of, though I have several other bits of their kit, all of which I've been happy with.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2020, 08:41:41 am »
OMM Kamleika is the nicest I have used so far because the material is stretchy (much nicer on the knees) and it is a fairly slim-cut design. I have also Montane Minimus which are half the weight and pack smaller, but those I now only use around town, for all "proper" rides I pack the Kamleika.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:03:36 am »

Can i throw in Paramo Cascada trousers? For hiking and standing around, they are great. Not great for cycling in, but for all other uses, lovely.

I have a pair of altura waterproof trousers for commuting. I don't use them much tho.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:22:40 am »
add to this I can get £50 towards a new pair of "waterproof trousers" (unfortunately I can't claim this against the existing old Gore ones)

Sure you can - in a round-about way.  Buy new trousers off Wiggle (other online retailers with 365 day returns policy are available). Claim £50. Return trousers to retailer for refund.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:51:00 am »
Thanks all for the recommendations so far. Not sure any fit exactly what I had in my head regarding perfect... but with all these things it's going to be a compromise!

I did think about ordering a new pair of trousers and then returning but they are now over £150 so quite a financial risk for me at the moment!

So no experience of the Hummvee DWR coated trousers?  Do they only work for a few washes and then no good like I often find with DWR coated gear?
Regards,

Joergen

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2020, 04:26:50 pm »
Because of this I looked into the options mentioned upthread to consider a more cycling specific pair and decided on the Proviz Nightrider which amazon had my size on offer.

What I like was the adjustable leg length, fairly high ankle zip to get them on and off my Northwave winter boots easily. Ordered and will let you know what I think in a few days.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proviz-Nightrider-Waterproof-Cycling-Trousers/dp/B00JVIXUJA

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2020, 07:03:10 pm »
Because of this I looked into the options mentioned upthread to consider a more cycling specific pair and decided on the Proviz Nightrider which amazon had my size on offer.

What I like was the adjustable leg length, fairly high ankle zip to get them on and off my Northwave winter boots easily. Ordered and will let you know what I think in a few days.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proviz-Nightrider-Waterproof-Cycling-Trousers/dp/B00JVIXUJA

Thanks - I think I have concluded the Hummvee to not be very good when we so might rule that out for now... (though I may still get them and claim them and use my Gore ones over the top... still to ponder! )
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11 on: 24 December, 2020, 07:33:25 pm »

How did you get on ? I've a disco code for proviz but holding off still...  ???
Regards,

Joergen