General Category > Cyclosportives and commercial or charity rides

Ride London 2023

(1/3) > >>

Jethro:
Entries opened for this event today (28/9).  There are 10,000 entries up for grabs before going to a ballot.  Price is £99

LittleWheelsandBig:
It looks like I am piloting a lady stoker round this on Sunday, at fairly short notice. Is there anything that the old hands think that I should know?

robgul:

--- Quote from: LittleWheelsandBig on 23 May, 2023, 10:22:44 am ---It looks like I am piloting a lady stoker round this on Sunday, at fairly short notice. Is there anything that the old hands think that I should know?

--- End quote ---

I'm not a past rider but my daughter has ridden a couple of times - her verdict is that you need to be patient, given the volume and variable abilities of riders.

drossall:
I can't say I'm an old hand, but I did it last year when a local charity was looking for riders to fill the spaces they had bought, and asked me for help.

There's a Facebook group full of people worrying about it. With your experience, just go with the flow. Planning to get there on time was the hardest bit - I live out of town and the trains didn't start early enough. I was lucky though and was assigned a fairly late start, and got a lift to join the first train into the Big Smoke.

Expect to spend a fair while queueing, on foot, to get to the start line. Never seen so many bikes in one place. Obviously then, once you're off, riding standards will vary. Watch out for all the usual stuff, plus fast groups coming by at enormous speeds. The stops were well organised with free bars, bananas and so on.

toontra:
Yes - expect to be waiting at the start for quite a while.  The forecast for Sunday is 10c at 7am and 21c early afternoon so quite a variation.  A lot of the "racers" take a sacrificial top and dump it at the start so they don't get cold when waiting around.  Or go down the audax route and carry a spare layer  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version