Author Topic: Flat tyre frustration  (Read 751 times)

Flat tyre frustration
« on: 05 January, 2015, 11:32:40 am »
Miss R (Dr Miss R that is) now back living at home has decided that cycling to the station etc would be better than walking or calling upon the services of the taxi of Mum and Dad or even the taxi of brother.

So I dug out her bike from the shed at the bottom of the garden where it has resided for at least 8 years, brushed it down, washed it, lubed the cables and trigger shifters, oiled the chan and pumped up the tyres to 80 psi (fat mountain bike) to check sidewalls etc.

Next morning tyres still good so deflated them to 40psi.

Following morning back tyre flat! (hole near valve caused by spoke hole dimple).  Swapped tube out, went flat immediately (valve coming away from tyre).  Swapped tube again with last spare and it went flat by afternoon! (presta valve core not tightened fully).  Mended tube 1 with patch on each side of valve and fitted said tube.  A trial ride yesterday afternoon went well with old skills not forgotten.

Miss R came to ride to station this morning - flat tyre!!!  As she is the tallest member by far of the Russell household there is no other bike to suit so she walked!

At least a 2" MTB trye is easy to remove!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Flat tyre frustration
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:37:24 am »
I know your pain. Speaking as the bike shop owner who fitted THREE brand new tubes, one after another and they all failed at the valve immediately.

I don't buy that brand any more . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Re: Flat tyre frustration
« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:45:29 am »
Whilst removing a dust cap yesterday I found myself with a quick and total deflation.   The valve core had stuck in the dust cap and I'd unscrewed it with the cap.

Fortunately it screwed back in and I was able to inflate and ride without issue.

A quick check just now reveals no subsequent deflation.

The tube?  Schwalbe.

This must be the first time that I have seen a valve core since I used Woods valves in the seventies.