Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882178 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23775 on: 04 August, 2020, 08:02:59 pm »
Well, yes, nuclear-steam train. I love the seeming anachronism. Like the Jetsons pushing the Flintstones' car.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23776 on: 04 August, 2020, 11:12:43 pm »
Turns out it (probably) wasn't nuclear at all. It was built in Kilmarnock in 1942 to serve a war-time power station just outside Gloucester. Photo about half way down this page: https://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/06/11/gloucester-docks-and-railways-part-3-over-junction-the-llanthony-branch-and-railways-to-the-west-side-of-the-docks/

« Reply #23777 on: 07 August, 2020, 02:58:36 pm »
I got out before lunch today, and it's a hot one 30C "feels like" 33C and did a loop up and round Beachy Head/Birling Gap. Haven't done that particular loop since April when I did it once at the beginning and once at the end managing 12.4 & 12.3mph respectively.

Well I got round the 18.5 miles today with an average speed of 14.1!

And I'm currently looking at routes for a long ride at the weekend to bag some more VeloViewer squares.

And then I need to drag the bike out from under the stairs again as I just remembered that something was creaking on the slow steep bits of today's ride and I don't think it was my knees!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23778 on: 07 August, 2020, 03:36:38 pm »
Got out towards 10am/25°C, called at the baker's then did a bit of a loop via a local stork sanctuary, not that they need one. Called MrsT and we RV'd at the only cake shop in the area with chairs & tables outside, collaring the only two seats that were in the shade. That shop used to have a row of shade trees out front, but apparently they belonged to the council and 4 or 5 years ago they chopped them down so that the bunch fixing the road could park their toys. Road's fixed, trees aren't: the whole area out front is blasted by the sun until around midday, apart from the bit where we were.  Anyway, after coffee she went on to Aldi and I headed for home, where we arrived simultaneously.

Only 45k but it was already 30°C by then, so that was enough.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23779 on: 07 August, 2020, 07:34:44 pm »
About 30 miles today with a friend. Looped round towards harefield and down to g u canal past the coy carp pub. Nearing uxbridge I hit a concealed tree stump at about 8 mph. The trike ended up hanging over the edge of the bank. Something nearly didn't happen. I thought the I was going swimming with a trike. My friend helped me and trice back to the safety of the towpath. As far as I can tell despite the impact the trike seems undamaged. We then continued on to uxbridge then back to slough via the slough canal arm  :) .
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23780 on: 07 August, 2020, 09:21:05 pm »
24 miles or so along the clifftops between Saltburn and Skinningrove, and down to Staithes for a pint with lanterne rouge. Perfect evening for it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23781 on: 07 August, 2020, 09:24:29 pm »
The problem with these conditions is they'd be great for a night ride, if I wasn't knackered from spending the day too hot.

Cycleman: Isn't that the bit with the canoe slalom rapid course thingy?  I suggest you stick to little streams in future...

« Reply #23782 on: 07 August, 2020, 10:40:43 pm »
I cycled 36 miles this morning to Alnwick Gardens to meet up with Mrs B and the kids (who drove ).  The plan had been for me to ride home again after a family day out but after 9 hours outside in the sun I didn't have it in me.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23783 on: 08 August, 2020, 12:05:00 pm »
Café run before the worst of the heat.  A mile from home, my mate decides (as he always does) to sprint up a slight incline.  I think he pulled a foot out of the pedal - pretty bad if you're sprinting on a fixie - and I saw him crash in a kind of slow motion.  Called the meat wagon as he was moaning incoherently at first and the inside of his helmet (and the psyclepath) were spattered with blood.  He went off to hospital and I walked the bikes back to mine.

He seemed ok by the time the paramedics turned up but he's going to look a right mess for a while.  I think his cheekbone took the impact, hence the blood spatter.  Also road rash on back, one elbow and both knees.  Nice.  Chicks dig scars.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23784 on: 08 August, 2020, 12:15:44 pm »
Commiserations to your mate. Tighten your foot retention folks, if you like giving it some welly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #23785 on: 08 August, 2020, 12:28:39 pm »
There's a reason track sprinters use clips, straps and slotted cleats.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23786 on: 08 August, 2020, 12:31:26 pm »
Double straps on the velodrome for posers like me. Even used them on the road for a bit when I was racing. I got very good at track stands!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23787 on: 08 August, 2020, 12:39:14 pm »
Double straps on the velodrome for posers like me. Even used them on the road for a bit when I was racing. I got very good at track stands!

I seem to recollect that last time we met - on the London Sightseer last September - you were track-standing at every red traffic light from The Mall to Aldgate!

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23788 on: 08 August, 2020, 12:43:06 pm »
Basically, I am just too lazy to keep taking my feet out and into pedals. Saves cleat wear, so less shoe maintenance too!

« Reply #23789 on: 08 August, 2020, 01:38:15 pm »
A pre scorching ride this morning. Persuaded riding buddy 0630 was a good time to start and wouldnhave gone earlier if on own. As it was the temp didn't go mad as fairly overcast. Did a loose version of the tour de Witham which is 80km but obviously didn't happen this year due to CV.

Good ride as my buddy has really upped his distance really so this was his furthest ride by a good 20km
 A few navigational errors meant about a km short coming towards my house so we stuck in a dog leg. This was a bad move as missed a pot hole and had to attempt a bunny hop as too late to swerve. So close yet so far. Back wheel thumped into it and didn't even wait to hear the hiss before stopping. Discovered I'm a lot quicker at fixing tyres then my mate as he said it was probably worth walking home. Maybe 10 minutes. Tyre was done much quicker and he conceded that he is a lot slower then me at this.

Only downside is he has a lot more free time then me and is getting better on his bike. I don't want him to end up as someone else I've introduced to cycling who ends up faster then me

« Reply #23790 on: 08 August, 2020, 04:01:07 pm »
4 of us were to meet at 0700. By 0703 everyone had arrived, which is a first for us.

72km 1300m, including Mam Nick and Fiddlers Elbow.

Was chatting with a fella whilst riding up Mam Nick who was out with 2 young 'uns, apparently they're hill climbs racers and the smaller one won the under 14s Nationals at 12 y/o. Based on the speed at which they ascended I can believe it.

« Reply #23791 on: 08 August, 2020, 04:10:00 pm »
Had a front wheel rapid deflation on a fast downhill today, on my recumbent. Couple of scrapes to left arm and below left knee.  Fixed puncture then used soap (carried since lockdown started) and some water bottle water to clean it up. All nicely cleaned up back home in shower. Sting mostly gone away a few hours later.

Tube wouldn’t even take a bit of air when trying to find source. So suspect a large hole / split somewhere.  I fitted a spare tube at road side and have old tube to take a look at later. No source in tyre found.

Apart from that a good day out amidst plenty of golden fields of barley and wheat.

rogerzilla

« Reply #23792 on: 08 August, 2020, 05:24:15 pm »
I had that two years ago coming down White Horse Hill.  Pinch puncture on a pothole despite running with at least 120psi in the front.  Scary.

« Reply #23793 on: 08 August, 2020, 05:31:14 pm »
Indeed it was a pinch puncture now I’ve looked at it on patio. I recall a largish stone pinging and suspect it’s related to the pinch flat.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23794 on: 08 August, 2020, 06:21:40 pm »
Indeed it was a pinch puncture now I’ve looked at it on patio. I recall a largish stone pinging and suspect it’s related to the pinch flat.

I got one of those on the Baron at about 40mph a couple of years ago.  The best I could determine was that I'd hit a small rock or similar object and pinched the tube (the rim was also dented).  The rear wheel didn't hit anything, so I assumed the culprit pinged off into the verge somewhere.

It's a pretty scary failure mode, as that sort of thing's barely visible when you're moving at speed.

rogerzilla

« Reply #23795 on: 08 August, 2020, 07:56:21 pm »
My mate is out of hospital now.  CT scan didn't find anything wrong and no broken bones, so it's just cuts, bruises and road rash.  He's not sure how he's going to sleep as every side is damaged to some extent.  His helmet actually seems to have done a reasonable job, looking at it - it's scuffed, crushed and nicely bloodstained although, of course, it couldn't do much about the side of his face.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23796 on: 08 August, 2020, 08:53:02 pm »
Another puncture here. But rear and slow. All because I couldn't resist the lure of the blackberries.

Good news (relatively speaking) about Roger's mate (the last post).

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23797 on: 08 August, 2020, 09:25:48 pm »
Aberdeen is currently on the COVID Naughty Step.
We're back in lock-down.

The pubs etc are all closed.
But there is another round of confusion regarding cycling; what are the Regulations, and what is Advice.

I live within 500 metres of the city limits, and went out on a short ride across the boundary.
Did not interact with anyone.
Was expecting a bit of stick, but none has been forthcoming.

« Reply #23798 on: 08 August, 2020, 09:31:30 pm »
Aborted ride today due to punctures on my cycling companion's electric bike. His spare tube did not have a long enough valve stem for the design of his wheels which have a very deep rim. Obtaining a seal with the pumps (his and mine) proved to be very awkward.  This sort of thing really annoys me as he asked the provider of the bike (some £2000 quids worth) to provide him with an appropriate alternative presta tube as the bike was originally supplied with Wood/Dunlop valves. His Continental tour plus's were also a tad difficult to get on and off. To set the tone for the rest of the day I also got dog shit on my SPDs grrrrrrrrr.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23799 on: 08 August, 2020, 09:35:20 pm »
Aberdeen is currently on the COVID Naughty Step.
We're back in lock-down.

The pubs etc are all closed.
But there is another round of confusion regarding cycling; what are the Regulations, and what is Advice.

I live within 500 metres of the city limits, and went out on a short ride across the boundary.
Did not interact with anyone.
Was expecting a bit of stick, but none has been forthcoming.

The regulations (the SSI*) only seem to cover business closure; the rest is therefore presumably guidance or covered by parts of other SSIs that are still extant.

* Scottish Statutory Instrument, can be found on legislation.gov.uk

I went to Arbroath, in the car, because I slept in for riding out there for a run on the miniature railway, and it was too fecking hot.