Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576372 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1125 on: 01 December, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »
Hope your back feels better soon Marco.

I feel a bit rubbish, grr.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1126 on: 01 December, 2011, 06:33:38 pm »
It is now December, so I suppose I can't really rant about someone having put a Christmas tree up in the office.
But did it have to be a PINK one?

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1127 on: 04 December, 2011, 05:42:56 pm »
Hail stones - they weren't forecast, and I decided I didn't need a hat/specs today because it was only a short ride.

I've just got back, my eyes and nose sting and I've just removed enough hailstones from my hair to build a small hill :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

essexian

« Reply #1128 on: 05 December, 2011, 07:57:31 am »
So last Thursday, the gas fire in the front room started to go wrong: it turns on but after a minute or two, it cuts out. Nevermind, we have a central heating system we can use..... well we did until Saturday evening when the pump failed.... the 4th pump we have had in the 10 years we have lived here!!!!

So, the money I had saved for my new bike has now been spent on buying a new gas fire, a new pump and hiring a central heating flusher.  >:(

Why isn't this in the rant thread? Well, SWMBO has agreed to allow me to fit the new pump: i've never done one before so this will be a challenge  ;D (Remind me I said that when I have spent all day trying to get the old on off!)

(Oh and SWMBO looks lovely blue with the cold  ;D)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1129 on: 05 December, 2011, 02:18:52 pm »
The gas fire cutting out may just have been a thermocouple, which is cheap and easy to replace.

Regarding the pump:
There ought to be shutoff valves either side of it, which won't operate.
Then there will be a pair of great big nuts, one each side of the pump, which need to get un-done.
You'll find these are just a bit bigger than any of your adjustable spanners can open to.
Once you obtain some spanners, you'll find the nuts will be seized solid.

Once you've mopped up the blood, and got the pump off, you'll find the replacement pump is slightly different in dimension, requiring you to lengthen or shorten the pipework.   And the 'standard' thread on the new pump will be different to the existing nuts on your pipework, necessitating a 3rd or 4th trip to the plumber's merchants.

Just so you know what to expect  ::-)

essexian

« Reply #1130 on: 05 December, 2011, 02:33:10 pm »
The gas fire cutting out may just have been a thermocouple, which is cheap and easy to replace.

Regarding the pump:
There ought to be shutoff valves either side of it, which won't operate. Check...they don't. Then there will be a pair of great big nuts, one each side of the pump, which need to get un-done. The last bloke to fix a pump had a great struggle doing so. You'll find these are just a bit bigger than any of your adjustable spanners can open to. Got a couple of very large adjustable spanners but will checkOnce you obtain some spanners, you'll find the nuts will be seized solid.

Once you've mopped up the blood (you forgot turn the air blue with swearing which will cause a row with her in doors as she will moan about the neighbours hearing...we live in a detached!!) , and got the pump off, you'll find the replacement pump is slightly different in dimension (ordered the same as on the pump so I will be surprised if it is.... bit this sort of thing happens to me, requiring you to lengthen or shorten the pipework.   And the 'standard' thread on the new pump will be different to the existing nuts on your pipework, necessitating a 3rd or 4th trip to the plumber's merchants. (Oh tell about this!!! Once tried to fit an old inch wide valve into a 22mm joint...it worked until I refilled the system. Strangely the wife was not happy to stick her finger in the hole while I went back to the shops)

Just so you know what to expect  ::-) ....

Ta  ;D Just told SWMBO that I am going to fix a "Magnaclean" to the system at the same time to try and keep it clean.... now just need to find which is the return pipe to the old boiler.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1131 on: 05 December, 2011, 02:40:46 pm »
You forgot 'you will ruin the old washers and the new pump will have shipped without any'
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1132 on: 05 December, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »
Oi! Left shoe! >:(

Could you not have waited a measly four bloody weeks before deciding that the sole and upper had irreconcilable differences? Bastards!

I hate buying work shoes.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

LindaG

« Reply #1133 on: 05 December, 2011, 03:06:06 pm »
My stupid foot hurts.  AGAIN.   >:(

« Reply #1134 on: 05 December, 2011, 03:27:03 pm »
Stop stamping it, then!

BTW, I meant to say to you on Sat, that I've decided to carry on calling you 'Linda', because you often sound Ruthless.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LindaG

« Reply #1135 on: 05 December, 2011, 03:30:23 pm »
Stop stamping it, then!

BTW, I meant to say to you on Sat, that I've decided to carry on calling you 'Linda', because you often sound Ruthless.

:facepalm:

<stamps foot> 

OW!!!!  >:(

At work they call me "Strewth".  Can't think why. 

It was nice to see you too   :D :D :D ;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1136 on: 05 December, 2011, 03:52:10 pm »
BHS - generally, I like your clothing. It's cheap, good quality and usually the sizing tallies more or less with the label. Even better, you seem to acknowledge that larger than average people might actually want to buy clothes, which is nice (M&S, take note)

The exceptions seem to be the three pairs of trousers I bought today (supposedly 44" waist but actually a bit bigger; nothing a belt won't fix) and the two shirts - 18" collar? Like buggery-bollocks they are ...I've got a wardrobe full of Van Heusen shirts1 which are 18" or 18.5" collar and they fit fine, whereas yours make me feel like someone's trying to pull me up by my armpits.

A Sizing FAIL is annoying, but I'm more pissed off about the fact that I'll have to go into town, again, to swap them for something that fits. Gah!  >:(

1 - I'd like to buy some more Van Heusen shirts, really I would, but they don't make them any more :(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1137 on: 05 December, 2011, 11:22:50 pm »
Hang on.   That's four weeks running we haven't won the quiz.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

essexian

« Reply #1138 on: 06 December, 2011, 09:21:06 am »
Wife… I know I have a nasty habit of putting stuff down when finished with in the “wrong” place and forgetting about it. Yes, I know this means you “have” to clean up after me but when doing so, please use some logic. 

For example, a hammer goes in the tool box in the garage and my bank book goes in the draw with the other valuable documents… okay, I know I left the hammer on the floor by the front door and the bank book on the piano but were they doing any harm?

So yesterday when I was looking for the bank book where did I find it? Yes, in my shoe tidy in my wardrobe and the hammer, in the knife and fork draw.

What I am trying to say is that I am a messy bugger but you have a Masters Degree in hiding stuff!

Off to find the kittens flea tablets, bet they are in the freezer…….  :facepalm:

« Reply #1139 on: 06 December, 2011, 09:27:38 am »
Self: You had ample warning last Thursday that your Schwalbe Marathon Slick tyre is shite this time of year - and perhaps all the time - when you had a minor slip on the towpath. You have a perfectly good Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyre waiting to be fitted in the garage. OK, it's cold, but a few minutes of cold fingers would've been netter than the off you had last night! As it happens, it was on a dark path and I fell onto soft mud, but my trousers got very muddy & I had to attend a governors' training course in them. CHANGE IT TODAY!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1140 on: 06 December, 2011, 10:03:10 am »
Oi! Left shoe! >:(

Could you not have waited a measly four bloody weeks before deciding that the sole and upper had irreconcilable differences? Bastards!

I hate buying work shoes.

Current shoes have lasted about 2.5years and though I have walked off much of the lining on the inside, they are still super comfortable and smart on the outside. I do keep them regularly polished and the leather has stayed looking good - the toecaps are still smooth and unwrinkled and the wrinkles at the bend in the toes haven't cracked.

A little bit of internetz this morning and I have found that they are still in production! Woo! So a replacement pair has been purchased. It was £50 I didn't need to spend at this time of year, but hey-ho.

I find work shoes are so difficult to purchase as I have an aversion to leather soles and anything that isn't an Oxford Cap-toe style ::-)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #1141 on: 06 December, 2011, 10:56:39 am »
Self: You had ample warning last Thursday that your Schwalbe Marathon Slick tyre is shite this time of year - and perhaps all the time - when you had a minor slip on the towpath. You have a perfectly good Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyre waiting to be fitted in the garage. OK, it's cold, but a few minutes of cold fingers would've been netter than the off you had last night! As it happens, it was on a dark path and I fell onto soft mud, but my trousers got very muddy & I had to attend a governors' training course in them. CHANGE IT TODAY!
Well, this really belongs in the Rant thread now, but...

Took the wheel off the Orbit AND remembered to detach the dynohub connector - doesn't happen often that!

Took wheel inside with replacement tyre to fit. (It's cold in the garage!) Went to deflate it using the presta valve. Feck! It's a Slime tube & the slime has slimed its way into the valve mechanism, so it won't deflate - at all, not even a whisper of air! Tried hot water over the valve to displace it, to no avail. In the end, I took a knife to the side of the tyre and the tube. That worked! What a waste of time those Slime tubes turned out to be. The pair of them are sitting next to the grey bin waiting for Sita to pick 'em up.

Anyone want a Schwalbe Marathon Slick tyre for nowt? Its sibling is also on offer, but with rather a big cut in it.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

essexian

« Reply #1142 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:08:29 am »
I would like to upgrade my previous grumble to a rant please if possible as I have just spoken to the wife about the whereabouts of the flea tablets..... they are in the bread bin.....

THE BREAD BIN???!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF would they be in there???!!!!!  :demon:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1143 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:19:15 am »

Anyone want a Schwalbe Marathon Slick tyre for nowt? Its sibling is also on offer, but with rather a big cut in it.

I could find a use for that.
Yhpm

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1144 on: 06 December, 2011, 03:05:45 pm »
Tonsils.  Meh.

« Reply #1145 on: 06 December, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »
Snot and aching limbs and the rest of the family watching Narnia DVDs repeatedly. Still. Since Saturday. On the bright side, no silly temperature and none of Miss Dan the Younger's vomiting.

LindaG

« Reply #1146 on: 06 December, 2011, 04:36:09 pm »
I would like to upgrade my previous grumble to a rant please if possible as I have just spoken to the wife about the whereabouts of the flea tablets..... they are in the bread bin.....

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #1147 on: 06 December, 2011, 05:45:37 pm »

Clearly, as you are attempting to give cat a pill, you'll need something absorbant to mop up the blood. Bread is quite absorbant....

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

AndyK

« Reply #1148 on: 07 December, 2011, 09:25:22 am »
Judging by the amount of use car direction indicators get (or the lack thereof) it must be assumed that their controls are either very strenuous to operate or that they are placed in a position which is difficult to find whilst driving. I suggest a simple, lightweight, three position lever switch conveniently located near the steering wheel.  :demon:

« Reply #1149 on: 07 December, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »
Tonsils.  Meh.

Me too.

I could stand the pain/discomfort of having swollen, gunky tonsils (been investigating with assorted bike lights), if only it didn’t make me feel so exhausted all the time.