Author Topic: King Alfred's Way - Guardian article.  (Read 3226 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: King Alfred's Way - Guardian article.
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2020, 06:56:32 pm »
Subscribe
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2020, 06:59:50 pm »
You don’t have to subscribe.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2020, 07:01:03 pm »
Oh dear, you need a gravel bike, that's me out then.

Oddly I always though Winchester was further west, that explains some story lines in the Last Kingdom
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2020, 09:10:37 am »
that was a very tongue in cheek response to the Graun article, I should have said  :P
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2020, 11:20:18 am »
The Graun article, apart from the Alfred route, was talking about "new routes" ..... isn't that what Sustrans is about (well, sort of)? - ah, that would be too much joined up thinking  :hand:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2020, 11:45:19 am »
I've ridden some sections of the off road stuff on this (without having ridden the whole route) on my Audax bike and on my race bike - especially during lock down when wanting to link up routes.  If the conditions are dry (which they should be June - September unless you get heavy rain like we just have) then most of it would be doable with sturdy tyres.    Winter - I'd want waders and a snorkel.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2020, 01:58:06 pm »
Presumably there’ll be some signage else what have they really done?

« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2020, 02:05:56 pm »
As I understand it, it's a bit like the TET (Trans European Trail) for trail bikes - put together a set of routes, which can be used to travel across the country on known good lanes etc. (they are apparently trying to like the southern ones to the northern ones, so you can ride the full length from Cornwall or the home counties up to Scotland). So  you can download the GPX, modify it to suite, and use it as the basis of exploring an area you don't know. There is a guide book for this, but not sure it really needs signs going up.

Certainly TET is a living thing - the route can be constantly tweaked depending upon what the linesmen in each area know, so you download the current version before starting out.

I've ridden parts of TET and discovered areas I'd never ridden, I'll probably ride parts of this in a similar vein - likely with MrsH.

It's also good publicity - mainstream coverage of the sort of things you can do, encouraging riders who hadn't considered it to do more and have adventures.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #12 on: 30 August, 2021, 01:01:39 pm »
I live not far from the eastern edge of the route - close enough that if I go for a short walk I'll cross the route. Since the launch I've noticed a marked increase in the number of riders crossing the Basingstoke canal at Zephon bridge on bikes with anything-but-a-rack luggage (and a few with racks).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur