Author Topic: Dangerous Parsnips!  (Read 1928 times)

Dangerous Parsnips!
« on: 12 April, 2015, 08:55:23 pm »
This is just a word of warning to for anyone handling parsnips, did you know the sap form the leaves can cause
a rash, blisters and chemical burns. Basically the sap can be absorbed by the skin, if the skin is then exposed to sunlight, the UV part of the light reacts with chemicals in the sap and then a couple of days later you come up in an itchy rash that develops into blisters. Once absorbed you can't wash it off.

This has  happened to me over the course of last week. I harvested the last of our Parsnips that I'd overwintered on Easter Monday morning. The afternoon was warm and sunny, so feeling that I needed a reward I had a G&T (or two) and enjoyed the view of the sunny garden in the afternoon. So far so good.

By Wednesday the back of my hand and lower arm had come out in a rash. By Thursday that rash had turned into Blisters and by Friday I was at the Doctors.

Maybe I was unlucky with my combination of harvesting a crop with healthy leaves, followed by a bit of soaking up a dose of early season sunshine, but from now on it's gloves on and cover up. I'd never heard of this before, but put Parsnip Rash in google and there's quite a few articles on it, including one on the NHS website.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Dangerous Parsnips!
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2015, 10:48:32 am »
Phytophotodermatitis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytophotodermatitis

Beware also drinks which include Bergamot, like Earl Grey tea.

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2015, 11:46:32 am »
Hmmm. I've had similar, but I thought I had narrowed the cause down to either Lemon Balm or Mint (both invasive plants that I usually end up weeding out in early July.  :-\
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

spindrift

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:44:00 pm »
Giant hogweed can give nasty burns. Euphorbia sap is an irritant too, I always seem to get it on the thin skin on the inside of the forearm.

« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:35:53 pm »
UPDATE

It's three week tomorrow since I got caught and the blistering has finally ceased. The chemist sold me some complete UV sun block (the type they give to Skin Cancer patients he said) and I've applied when ever I've been outdoors. The one day I forgot last week brought me up in a fresh batch of very small, but nonetheless a fresh batch of blisters.

My skin is still raised, red and blotchy so I guess there is still scope for more UV reaction so it carry on with the UV blocker.