Author Topic: Raising plants from F1 hybrid parents seed  (Read 2535 times)

Raising plants from F1 hybrid parents seed
« on: 06 October, 2015, 05:34:38 pm »
Still not sure about Vampire Chillis being perennial or not...despite I- net trawling ::-)

So plan B is to keep seeds and use to raise new plants; BUT the actual plants are F1 hybrids, so my understanding of it is that progeny (assuming seeds fertile? ) won`t be same as parent F1 stock. Which is a pity as original seeds cost 20 p each  :o (and with a hundred or so ripe chillis now I could have ten thousand seeds !!! several thousand £ worth  ;)

Any experiences to share about progeny plants from f1 ?

ta
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Raising plants from F1 hybrid parents seed
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2015, 05:38:40 pm »
Seeds of a F1 hybrid are not guaranteed to revert to type, but the chance of them doing so is massively higher than any other types.

So, say you sow 100 seeds, using a "normal" hybrid maybe 70 would be the hybrid and the rest would be either on or the other parent type of a weird, unusable mutant (which is, after all, what a hybrid is, a mutant).

Using F1 hybrids pretty much swaps that around, of the 100, 30 might be of the parent type, 70 would be of other types.

F1 hybrid seeds are sold guarenteed to grow as the hybrid, not revert to type.

So either stick your hand in your pocket, grow lots, and throw lots away or just accept that you will get what you get, which might not be what you were aiming for!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: Raising plants from F1 hybrid parents seed
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2015, 05:49:16 pm »
Seeds of a F1 hybrid are not guaranteed to revert to type, but the chance of them doing so is massively higher than any other types.

So, say you sow 100 seeds, using a "normal" hybrid maybe 70 would be the hybrid and the rest would be either on or the other parent type of a weird, unusable mutant (which is, after all, what a hybrid is, a mutant).

Using F1 hybrids pretty much swaps that around, of the 100, 30 might be of the parent type, 70 would be of other types.

F1 hybrid seeds are sold guarenteed to grow as the hybrid, not revert to type.

So either stick your hand in your pocket, grow lots, and throw lots away or just accept that you will get what you get, which might not be what you were aiming for!

a 30 / 70 split could be quite interesting to do so thanks, yes I`ll raise my own  ;D Considering that the other Chilli variety I grow, Padron, is from same plant enormously variable in hotness (from I`m able eat a whole small chilli and it`s almost bell pepper heat right thro` to OMG what was that after a sliver of chilli fruit heat  ::-) ::-) ) sounds like could be interesting indeed  :thumbsup: but not great commercial enterprsie !!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above