31 (44.9%)
Just a few upgrades away
3 (4.3%)
Not sure what the dream bike is
15 (21.7%)
Not sure whether the dream bike exists
5 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Lusting after a dream bike or already have it?  (Read 8174 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: Lusting after a dream bike or already have it?
« Reply #50 on: 18 February, 2024, 08:56:26 pm »
I tend to think the riding's the important thing, rather than the bike itself.   So my dream bike is whichever one I happen to be riding :D

So true.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #51 on: 18 February, 2024, 08:57:12 pm »
Thinking about the test of time. Are these still your dream bikes?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #52 on: 18 February, 2024, 09:12:10 pm »
Happy with what I've got. I choose one out of the cellar, go for a ride and never think "wish I was on a different bike"

« Reply #53 on: 18 February, 2024, 10:52:11 pm »
I never voted, so my comment stands :)

sam

« Reply #54 on: 18 February, 2024, 11:57:32 pm »
Have it.

x2, as I bought a duplicate in case there's a crack in the dream.

Sabbath Aspire (not my idea of the perfect name), which was cheap enough (£750 f&f) to make this happen. 'Cheap' of course being relative, but combined, they cost the same as my last attempt at a dream.

The Sabbath wasn't initially the apex of my desire – that would be a custom job by a very top end titanium builder, probably Stateside. But over the course of the past year it has sufficiently grown into my hopes for it that 'dream bike' fits nicely, thank you.

- Rides no-handed like it's part of my body.
- Looks great, if you like that sort of thing. Understated maker's marque helps.
- Makes me happy. We're allowed to like things, as well as experiences.

- Being happy on my bike helps to forget about it, meaning, if I was annoyed with it in some way (as I am, even after all these years, at the colour of my Langster), that would surface from time to time as I ride it. When I'm on my Langster, as I was earlier today because it's my wet weather bike, I briefly wish I could be on my Sabbath instead; though I honestly don't spend my ride thinking about it, just a fleeting few moments at the beginning.

I met this couple today, on a tandem that belongs to a friend as they belong to a religious community where everything is owned in common. ("The only thing that's mine is a toothbrush.") I'd say they were on their dream bike because they were on it together.

click for enlargement

« Reply #55 on: 19 February, 2024, 02:38:42 pm »
I do find that my dream bikes don't stop being dream bikes just because I've become their owner. So yes, the dream Mercian that I put together 20 years ago, and the dream Dawes that I bought as a frame in 1990, albeit it's had a respray since, remain just as much dream bikes now. I agree, too, that the bike I'm riding at any one moment is my favourite right then.

The pity is, there's no room for more bikes. It would be fun to experience carbon, but not if I have to give up a dream bike to have one. Maybe I'll just borrow one for a ride some day, or hire one on some holiday or something. The Dogma does look quite nice ::-)

« Reply #56 on: 19 February, 2024, 06:23:24 pm »
My azub tricon gr is definitely my dream trike and if I ever get it back the ice adventure fs is a very close second  :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iaLPps6bAtVMzJGH6

And in third place on the grounds of weight and wheels in the wrong end

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EtQJJ9qm68HYQybw7

All those bicycle things don't stand up when you stop  :o ;)

the slower you go the more you see

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #57 on: 21 February, 2024, 06:20:13 pm »
i don't see the bike as thing/object to lust after. as much as i like riding bikes, i kinda dislike how they look (irrelevant of make or price). all bikes (including the nicest) are wobbly, easily damaged, asymmetric, difficult to keep clean etc.

perhaps an unpopular opinion on a cycling forum, but there you go O:-)

sam

« Reply #58 on: 21 February, 2024, 06:36:14 pm »
as much as i like riding bikes, i kinda dislike how they look (irrelevant of make or price). all bikes (including the nicest) are wobbly, easily damaged, asymmetric, difficult to keep clean etc.

perhaps an unpopular opinion on a cycling forum, but there you go

On that note, I personally find derailleurs

(click to show/hide)

Afasoas

« Reply #59 on: 22 February, 2024, 10:01:46 pm »
Is the dream bike one which doesn't feel compromised in some way when you ride it?

« Reply #60 on: 22 February, 2024, 10:09:52 pm »
All bikes are compromises, between strength and lightness, luggage capacity and speed, foldability/storability and ride quality, wheel size and compactness, gear range vs simplicity, abilities to cope with different surfaces, and a hundred other factors. The skill of the designer lies in making the right compromises.

An obvious example is 16" vs 20" folders. Different compromises.

Afasoas

« Reply #61 on: 23 February, 2024, 10:44:00 am »
All bikes are compromises, between strength and lightness, luggage capacity and speed, foldability/storability and ride quality, wheel size and compactness, gear range vs simplicity, abilities to cope with different surfaces, and a hundred other factors. The skill of the designer lies in making the right compromises.

An obvious example is 16" vs 20" folders. Different compromises.

Of course they are, hence feel compromised.
If the bike doesn't feel compromised, then it's a good match?

Just musing of course.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #62 on: 25 February, 2024, 07:29:20 pm »
Every bike i have very bought was my dream bike, at the time.

They still are, I've just had more sleeps since. There is still another dream bike lurking in there, waiting for the right paycheque
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #63 on: 25 February, 2024, 09:40:30 pm »
My Cervelo has just about achieved "dream bike" status, having just upgraded the gears to SRAM Red Etap and added a deep-profile carbon wheelset.  I'm inspired afresh  :thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #64 on: 07 March, 2024, 03:34:24 pm »
I was lusting after a Fairlight Strael for a while, then went out on my 2016 Kona Roadhouse which isn't anything like as sought after as a Fairlight but it's still an 853 road bike with lovely paint and it was such a great ride that I've decided that I don't need another steel bike for now.
I'm now pondering building up something like this - but it's totally dependant on finding a decent frame in my size. I've always loved the old handmade Cannondales...

Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #65 on: 24 March, 2024, 12:47:50 am »
Having spent much time thinking about alternative bikes, I find that there's no point for most of my riding to replace my fixed gear Pompino (£75 for the frame and fork ~20 years ago).  I absolutely love my catrike, but it is rarely the right bike for the job - reckon an upgrade on my bike would be £££s for very little gain and a different bike would be £££s to get something I would not use a much.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace