Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178455 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #675 on: 01 January, 2018, 05:14:43 pm »
bikes/trikes with fairings are against the rules afaik

then a trike with no fairings.. still a big advantage in ice and wind

« Reply #676 on: 01 January, 2018, 05:44:06 pm »
Trikes can be an advantage, for instance in Bessies Creek 24 Hour race last year a 70 year old man rode 327 miles, not bad for his age. Recumbents and trikes are very definitely a reasonable choice - particularly for an aging cyclist who wants to continue in the sport. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #677 on: 01 January, 2018, 09:12:22 pm »
Steve used an ICE VTX while recovering from the ankle injury on his first attempt.  If he thought that such a machine was worthwhile, I'm sure he'd be using one.

« Reply #678 on: 01 January, 2018, 09:25:50 pm »
Trikes can be an advantage, for instance in Bessies Creek 24 Hour race last year a 70 year old man rode 327 miles, not bad for his age. Recumbents and trikes are very definitely a reasonable choice - particularly for an aging cyclist who wants to continue in the sport.

rob

« Reply #679 on: 04 January, 2018, 08:53:59 am »
Steve got a mention on Radio 2 this morning.   Think someone phoned it in.

« Reply #680 on: 04 January, 2018, 09:09:27 am »
That being in the USA, you can bet that the trike was in fact a recumbent trike not a good old British upright which is about 10% slower than an equivalent bike due to weight and wind resistance.  Here in the UK our own riders in their 70s ride similar distances to that 327.

« Reply #681 on: 04 January, 2018, 04:08:32 pm »

ICE VTX: Nice vehicle.

« Reply #682 on: 04 January, 2018, 04:27:34 pm »
I'd prefer the upright 'proper' trike.

« Reply #683 on: 04 January, 2018, 04:40:30 pm »
Lots of choices with none being the right or wrong or 'proper' one.

« Reply #684 on: 04 January, 2018, 05:41:49 pm »
Or comparable.

« Reply #685 on: 04 January, 2018, 06:14:28 pm »
This is going fairly wildly off topic. I'm interested in Steve's amazing achievements, not the relative merits of trikes (which Steve will not be using), which are probably best discussed elsewhere.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #686 on: 04 January, 2018, 06:23:33 pm »
One thing is for sure, anybody riding through the weather the UK has had over the last couple of weeks is made of sterner stuff than me. Go Steve. :)

« Reply #687 on: 04 January, 2018, 06:36:24 pm »
This is going fairly wildly off topic. I'm interested in Steve's amazing achievements, not the relative merits of trikes (which Steve will not be using), which are probably best discussed elsewhere.

Are you the moderator?

« Reply #688 on: 04 January, 2018, 07:11:35 pm »
Or comparable.
Of course, ICE did lend Steve one of their creations, and even adapted it to accommodate his broken ankle.  Very grateful we all were.  But it did convince Steve that it wasn't the way to go.

« Reply #689 on: 04 January, 2018, 08:15:14 pm »

Are you the moderator?
I agree with Toontra.  I was a bit bothered about responding but as a tricyclist with 50 years experience I get very very frustrated when people write as if recumbent is the default form.  Let's drop it from this thread about Steve's magnificent performances.

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #690 on: 04 January, 2018, 11:07:27 pm »

Are you the moderator?

I am!

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #691 on: 04 January, 2018, 11:15:13 pm »
Masters:

PLEASE remain excellent to all and on topic.

The moderation team has little wish to apply steel toe-capped boots with violence.

Please do not provoke the Order of the Boot.

« Reply #692 on: 05 January, 2018, 01:03:18 am »
Of course, ICE did lend Steve one of their creations, and even adapted it to accommodate his broken ankle.  Very grateful we all were.  But it did convince Steve that it wasn't the way to go.

Do you know why it 'convinced' Steve the ICE was not the way to go?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #693 on: 05 January, 2018, 06:52:44 am »
It was slower than a bike (for him). He wasn't going fast enough for a possible aerodynamic improvement to overcome increased rolling resistance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #694 on: 05 January, 2018, 08:13:46 am »
There were several recumbents produced before WW2, both French and British manufacturers. Their speed was why the UCI banned them before WW2.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #695 on: 05 January, 2018, 10:33:12 am »
I think I started the trike talk, as a sensible way to ride when there is a significant risk of ice. Upright or recumbent doesn't make much difference. It does, of course, when storm Eleanor hits the land.
My feeling is that a large steed of very different cycles and the ability to ride them all at the same level is essential to the success of these attempts, at least in the UK where weather patterns are very changeable from day to day and include all the variables in abundance (wind, ice, rain, rolling terrain...). AFAIK, Steve has a couple of identical Raleigh, reasonably versatile bikes, but not particularly power efficient.

« Reply #696 on: 05 January, 2018, 11:10:36 am »
Judging by his strava comments, Steve is finding it heavy going atm.

Getting hip pain and unpleasant weather. He's also had battery charging issues with several devices.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #697 on: 05 January, 2018, 12:46:47 pm »
I think I started the trike talk, as a sensible way to ride when there is a significant risk of ice.

Indeed.  All things being equal, the rolling resistance of a third wheel is less than the rolling resistance of studded tyres.  It's how I'd approach it.  But Steve has decided to go for the even lower rolling resistance of a late-starts-and-stick-to-main-roads approach.

Upright or recumbent doesn't make much difference.

Except that in the hands of an inexperienced rider upright trikes are hedge-seeking missiles, and recumbent trikes are go-karts that use the wrong leg muscles.  And if your strategy involves long loops to take advantage of the wind, whatever you set out on you're stuck with for the rest of the day.

Steve has a decently aero position on his Raleigh, and that's what he's trained for.  It clearly works.

hillbilly

« Reply #698 on: 05 January, 2018, 12:49:30 pm »
I've been following Steve's progress sporadically over the course of this attempt.  It is impressive that he is still going, despite some setbacks, and remains on track for one of the largest annual cycling distances to date despite the challenges the year has thrown up so far.  I'm hoping he ends this attempt later this year rightfully pleased with what he has achieved given the challenges of riding in the UK, rather than being thinking too long about what might have been "if only".

(PS: on various comments about trikes.  The golden rule is "Steve knows best".)

« Reply #699 on: 05 January, 2018, 12:57:48 pm »
It is impressive that he is still going, despite some setbacks, and remains on track for one of the largest annual cycling distances to date despite the challenges the year has thrown up so far.  I'm hoping he ends this attempt later this year rightfully pleased with what he has achieved given the challenges of riding in the UK, rather than being thinking too long about what might have been "if only".

Indeed YES!!

Go Steve!