Author Topic: 'Route Truncated'  (Read 8766 times)

'Route Truncated'
« on: 30 June, 2011, 01:51:36 pm »
I created a route in bikehike.co.uk and downloaded as a gpx.

Then used GPSBabel to transfer to my garmin.

GPSBabel says transfer selected, Garmin says 'route truncated' and doesn't display the route.

A quick google suggests that the Garmin has a limit of 100 waypoints and this message is shown when that limit is exceeded.

I don't need waypoints, just a track. How do I reduce the number of waypoints?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: 'Route Truncated'
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »
I get around any problems like this by using .tcx files downloaded directly from the bikehike site to my  Edge 705. I then ride these as courses. I know not all Garmins can do courses though.

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:58:17 pm »

Which Garmin model? (It makes a huge difference to the answer.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:58:32 pm »
Oh, and there is a box under 'options' in bikehike to allow you to reduce trackpoints to whatever number you like before you download the file. This might help you.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:58:54 pm »
If you want a track, choose the option in Bikehike to download it as "gpx track", not as "gpx route".
Or you can use the "Transform" option in GPSBabel to convert from a route to a track.

Most Garmins (including the eTrex etc) are limited to 125 or 250 points in a route, or 500 points in track. If your route has more points than that, you can click on "Options" in Bikehike, then reduce the number of points. Or you can use a simplify filter in GPSBabel.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:59:03 pm »
Bikehike can do trackpoint reductions, look under "options".

Also, are you saving as a "route" or a "track".  If you don't actually want routing, the latter may work better.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:19:32 pm »
Garmin etrex legend HCx

Doh - I was downloading a route, not a track. That would be the problem - I think this gps can only handle 100 waypoints in a route.

Ah - I think I've got it.

GPSBabel has a 'translate' option - turn everything but 'Track' off

Damn - no - it's uploaded, just terminated short

Dunnit

GPS babel filter, reduce trackpoints.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2011, 04:04:35 pm »
IIRC each track uploaded to an Etrex Legend can only contain 500 trackpoints.

Either reduce the single track to under 500 trackpoints or split it into chunks with a maximum of 500 trackpoints (or a combination of both).

There's an overall 10,000 trackpoint limit.

You can increase this by storing the tracks on the card, rather than in the internal memory of the device.

More here: Garmin eTrex Legend HCx FAQ: Tracks
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2011, 10:30:11 pm »
use vi, it's just an xml document

dd

I don't reduce the number of points, I make tracks have no more than 500 per track and have more than one track if i need to. I wrote some software of my own to generate my tracks this way using GOGM

« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2011, 06:52:47 am »
My Etrex Cx is one of the Garmin products that doesn't like excessive points.
I opened a track from mapmyride last night as I couldn't find my old track on my computer ( possibly a victim of that XP crash a year or so ago ) but the new track contained 16470 points.
I used Gpsbabel to filter it down to 100 and then opened it on Tracklogs and went over the route again making sure there were no horrendous mistakes and just dragged and dropped it back in to place a couple of times.
Simples.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2011, 11:12:31 am »

GPSBabel says transfer selected, Garmin says 'route truncated' and doesn't display the route.

A quick google suggests that the Garmin has a limit of 100 waypoints and this message is shown when that limit is exceeded.

Hi mrcharly,

I use an Etrex H legend (I know..very old but it does the job :) ) I use to have problems with routes being truncated all the time and sometimes I actually got lost because of that...
Also the problem with "reducing the number of waypoints" in gpx files is that the resolution of the route/track goes down which it has also contributed to me getting lost because parallel roads were considered the same...

So ... I wrote a small application that aids in doing the splitting job preserving the resolution of the original route/track.

http://antocuc.github.com/GpxSplitter.html

Let me know what you think

AntoCuc

« Reply #12 on: 11 July, 2011, 11:57:19 am »
I just cut the points down to 100 in GPSbabel (by filter, so it's set like that for the next track). No problemo.

I might look at your app, but  don't see the need for it, tbh
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2011, 09:41:42 pm »
You can have 250 points in a route on a Legend HCx (see page 20 of the manual). For tracks, 500.

GPSies is good for converting to tracks or routes, and will down-sample (use the options).

« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »
I just cut the points down to 100 in GPSbabel (by filter, so it's set like that for the next track). No problemo.

I might look at your app, but  don't see the need for it, tbh
a 400km journey with 100 track points is going to be rubbish

« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:37:48 pm »
So I'll just cut that down to 500tracks!

Can't see me having the time to do a 400km route in the foreseable future, so it's a moot point.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

The Mechanic

« Reply #16 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:52:43 am »

I have a Vista HCX and I am sure it is limited to 50 waypoints for a route.  That is usually enough for a 200km

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 12 July, 2011, 09:29:44 am »
As drossal pointed out above, the manual clearly states 250.

This screenshot shows a Legend Cx with several Routes loaded, some have 240 points and some 120 and none were truncated.  (The second shot shows how many more routes were added before truncation occurred.)

The 50 point limit applies where the route is used in 'follow road' mode (this limit is mentioned in the manual too).
The problem is that the GPS can be set up in such a way that 'follow road' is not just the default but the only option - in that case yes your GPS is truely limited to 50 points per route and will throw error messages on longer routes like the ones pictured above.
[edit] agreed, 50 is way more than enough for any day ride, in 'follow road'.

But it's a setup thing, it doesn't have to be that way.

[edit] This seems to crop up so often, I've added a new how-to page here.
It's OT with regard to the original query though, which is about truncation during the upload process - a different thing.  A Route of more than 250, or a Track of more than 500, will truncate during upload, throwing a small error message on the GPS only (see r-h pic above), which may well get overlooked.  Later when you try to follow it, the GPS won't show any error, but simply run out of points in the middle of nowhere.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

The Mechanic

« Reply #18 on: 12 July, 2011, 01:51:46 pm »
Can anyone enlighten me:  If a route with 250 waypoints is possible, but not in "follow Road" mode, what is the advantage of this over a track.  Surely the whole purpose of a route is that it will give you turn by turn instrictions with alarm when approaching a turn.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #19 on: 12 July, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »
Can anyone enlighten me:  If a route with 250 waypoints is possible, but not in "follow Road" mode, what is the advantage of this over a track.
Advantages are you can give the waypoints / routepoints names (and symbols). So this could be the instructions for which way to go, or the name of the control/point of interest etc.
Also, when following a route it tells you the distance to the next point. So if you just add a waypoint at each junction, you can just watch this distance count down, and not worry about navigating in between.

Frankly Frankie has some opinions on the pros and cons of this here: http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_5.htm

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #20 on: 12 July, 2011, 11:43:32 pm »
It's true that in the new generation of Garmin GPS (which will include the new Etrex when it comes out towards the end of the year) the Track functionality is somewhat enhanced, to the point that there is very little advantage in using a Route.

But for current Etrexes, the main advantage of Routes is the prompting (bleep and screen backlight) and the 'Distance to Next' field which IMO is THE killer feature of GPS.  You can get these in Track/Trackback mode as well but it's not reliable or so easily accessible.

I still like Direct Routes.  Visually they only kink at turns (unlike a Track or an autorouted Route) so any upcoming kink onscreen acts as the turn prompt.  Works for me.  In between turns I don't care that the direct route wanders off-road and off-screen, I know it will always come back in time for the next turn.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #21 on: 13 July, 2011, 12:40:19 am »

[edit] This seems to crop up so often, I've added a new how-to page here

Thanks yet again, FF. BTW, minor detail, but  in Firefox 5.0 your page has only a "-" in the title bar or when you bookmark the page.

« Reply #22 on: 13 July, 2011, 12:29:37 pm »
FF - your website is really informative and useful.

I think you've missed a usage method off the list tho' - using the map on the gps combined with track. It's the same concept as using an external map + track, but relying on the gps map instead.

I prefer it to using routes, because it allows me to make deviations, then find my way back to the originally-planned route.
<i>Marmite slave</i>