Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2461921 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20475 on: 10 October, 2018, 09:15:08 pm »
The problem with the sheep is that if there's a wall slightly too close to the road for their liking (which may be quite a way off the road) on the side they've run off to, they will just dart straight back across the road to the other side, often coming very close to you (the cyclist they are running away from). How this has evolved as a survival tactic I don't know.

The other hazard tends to be pheasants exiting roadside hedges at head height

Once, up in the Sperrins, I came across a couple of sheep in a road with a high bank either side. Then a couple more, and a couple more ... until I  was driving over twenty sheep before me for about two miles until I got to a house where someone was able to turn them into a field.

I've never had a problem with pheasants,  but  late last night I almost ran over a hedgehog. No, it wasn't  curled up in a ball.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #20476 on: 11 October, 2018, 10:09:36 am »
I had a lovely ride in this morning. I took the trail, past somebody who held their dog when they saw me coming. I overtook a couple of joggers who acknowledged my bell by giving me room to pass them.

The temperature was cool thanks to some rain overnight, but not cold. Perfect riding temperature.

The only problem was that it ended too soon when I got to work.

I must remember this feeling when I'm doing the same tomorrow, as I suspect the weather will not be as nice.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #20477 on: 12 October, 2018, 09:20:19 am »
Well that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It looked really windy but I barely felt a thing.

In completely unrelated news, I got to work in record time today, didn't feel like I was working hard at all!  ;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20478 on: 12 October, 2018, 10:24:34 am »
In comparison, I was on my MTB fighting gusts of 60mph down the Cumbrian coast today. Average speed was only just over 10mph. The ride home should be quite fun though :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #20479 on: 12 October, 2018, 11:17:44 am »
Gusty, swirly wind down in Swansea. I was expecting a (Cumbrian-type) headwind slog, but it wasn't that bad.

« Reply #20480 on: 12 October, 2018, 01:27:29 pm »

« Reply #20481 on: 12 October, 2018, 01:33:28 pm »
I expect the first thing he bought was new pants  :o :o
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #20482 on: 13 October, 2018, 12:03:05 pm »
Why is it so damn warm?
Surprisingly sweaty commute as I wore my long sleeve thermal...

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #20483 on: 15 October, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »

Extraordinary Health n' Safety here then at the tram crossing in Timperley...

to clarify, if your high vehicle has rung the bell, you're dead metal !
You appear to get more warning approaching from the far side

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20484 on: 24 October, 2018, 05:45:33 pm »
Lovely moon-set this morning.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #20485 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:03:49 pm »
Maybe the wall is similar to a cliff edge in their mind so keeping away from a drop?

« Reply #20486 on: 25 October, 2018, 03:40:11 pm »
heard a 'crack' this am on the ride in as I bumped into a hole. Couldn't see anything amiss so into work. Nipped out at lunch to find part of the spring on one of my candy pedals had broken making the pedal into a not v.flat pedal. Some application of zip ties may work until I get home and fit a spare pair

Update: Zip ties work...sort of. But they got me home

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20487 on: 30 October, 2018, 11:56:01 am »
It's bloody cold!  >:(

Last week I was in short sleeves, shorts, and sandals.  Yesterday I was fully covered (short of balaclava) and layered.  Yes, the mornings last week were quite cold, but my commute is currently afternoon and evening, so a bit warmer.

And last night I was nearly hit by someone turning right onto the road I was cycling along, and got a punishment pass for having the temerity to not give way earlier to the driver who was being a twat.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #20488 on: 30 October, 2018, 07:54:00 pm »
Came out of work to a flat tyre, no pump, that's strapped to the my usual bike whose wheels are off being trued. 1 mile walk to get the train from Rotherham to Sheffield where the lovely bloke at Russell's Bike Shed changed out my tube for me and lent me a track pump. A decent sized shard of metal was pulled from the tyre.

The pump's already in the bag for tomorrow and I'm going back to riding down the canal path because the road alternative is littered with puncture inducing debris...

« Reply #20489 on: 31 October, 2018, 02:17:52 pm »
Was the 1 hour clock change responsible for the traffic madness in North Mcr last night? People blocking box junctions/cutting in/out, weaving from lane - lane. Felt really edgy so it was a reduction in speed and eyes on the road even more.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20490 on: 01 November, 2018, 11:23:31 am »
I nearly knocked over William Hague on my commute this morning. He was crossing the road without looking, the idiot. His assistant stopped him just in time though... Damn!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20491 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:53:50 pm »
I nearly knocked over William Hague on my commute this morning. He was crossing the road without looking, the idiot. His assistant stopped him just in time though... Damn!
Tsk, tsk 5/10.  Must do better.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20492 on: 02 November, 2018, 10:52:45 am »
Tsk, tsk 5/10.  Must do better.

That's almost exactly what my son said when I told him.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #20493 on: 02 November, 2018, 11:21:46 am »
That's the problem with bikes – they'd don't have a reverse gear.

« Reply #20494 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:12:02 pm »
Was the 1 hour clock change responsible for the traffic madness in North Mcr last night? People blocking box junctions/cutting in/out, weaving from lane - lane. Felt really edgy so it was a reduction in speed and eyes on the road even more.
London was the same, watched a double decker bus and six cars drive up a closed road and THEN block a box junction.

I became a pedestrian, crossed on foot, stopped and had a good chuckle.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

TJG

« Reply #20495 on: 14 November, 2018, 01:52:33 pm »
I am sure the pack mentality of motorists is getting worse as the weather does. I have never noticed so many cars racing to overtake me just to join a clearly visible queue of traffic up ahead as I have seen in the last few weeks.   I overtook the same car 3 times in a few hundred yards today before they figured it out and just hung back!

« Reply #20496 on: 14 November, 2018, 04:37:32 pm »
Definitely getting worse. I have changed my route to work that now has a lot quieter roads so it a little better. But congestion in London is a real problem and there are no cycle lanes to be blaming in the Chelsea/Fulham area.

« Reply #20497 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:34:33 pm »
It's reached that time of year where you've got to put some effort in to stay warm, which just shows how lazy I've become lately, average moving speed up 15% this morning on what's become typical, journey time a whole 4 minutes less.

« Reply #20498 on: 22 November, 2018, 09:25:38 pm »
Hit another pedestrian tonight.

There were 2 people waiting at a pelican crossing (green light, red man) and other than me, there were no other vehicles around. I braked but didn't stop because 1 of them looked for going but then he stopped so I carried on. I'm guessing I was in number 2's blind spot because he then went for it and I got tangled in the strap of this trailing bag, we both went down. As I'd already braked I was going ~10km/h, so no severe injuries.

I used a few choice words to let him know what I thought of him, got up and rode round the corner to my house.

I gave the bike a once over, looks fine

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20499 on: 23 November, 2018, 11:15:59 am »

Had a couple of close calls on the commute today. Some fuckwit in a blue SUV shot across in front of me when I was doing about 22kph. Had to brake, tho not to a complete stop. I had right of way, a few choice gestures were offered in their direction. 1km further on, I'm on the tri bars, overtaking muggle cyclists, when one of them just starts moving left, with no signal, and for no apparent reason, his move is pushing me towards the tram tracks, which would be messy, I slam the anchors on and with some gymnastics, keep the bike from going to far towards the tram tracks, missing them by maybe 100mm? I was not best pleased.

It seems the people of Amsterdam have forgotten how to ride in a straight line, there were a few other issues with muggle cyclists randomly moving around like this, but this one really stuck out due to closeness with the tram tracks.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/