Author Topic: Gospel Pass or Bwlch-y-Groes?  (Read 4028 times)

Gospel Pass or Bwlch-y-Groes?
« on: 07 October, 2010, 11:29:45 pm »
So which pass is higher?

Opinion seems split: http://tinyurl.com/6cw6d says Gospel Pass 548m, Bwlch 546m, and (software) OS maps seem to indicate the same.

http://www.ocd.org.uk/uk/HighestRoads.html says Gospel Pass 1765' (538m), Bwlch 1788' (546m)

Anyone taken a GPS over both?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Gospel Pass or Bwlch-y-Groes?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:38:36 pm »
My GPS said 555m for Gospel

However, I wouldn't take that as absolute, as it all depends on how the GPS calculates height, and if it was set properly before you set off. I tend to use the GPS for a record of climbing, rather than an absolute for peaks.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:44:44 pm »
Ordnance survey gives 538m as a spot height on the road, shown on the 1:25000 maps. On the 1:50000 maps, 542m is given, but it's not clear whether that's a spot height on the road because the green dots for the cycle route get in the way.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:17:51 am »
However, I wouldn't take that as absolute, as it all depends on how the GPS calculates height, and if it was set properly before you set off. I tend to use the GPS for a record of climbing, rather than an absolute for peaks.

A couple of guys with Garmins put up data for one of our clubruns on the forum. Same route, same day, same group... the height profiles were identical in shape but the top of the climb differed by a massive amount - a factor of 2 or 3 IIRC.

Clandy

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:28:53 am »
OT: Bwlch-y-Groes, used to go there to watch the Milk Race back in the '70s.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:36:02 am »
when I went over Bwlch-y-Groes in August it said this at the top:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:54:20 am »
Bwlch-y-Groes seemed higher up to me

I didn't realise that Hay Buff was so high up.  There is a great view from there

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2010, 12:55:31 pm »
OS large scale (1:10 000) has a 549m spot height for the Gospel Pass (the road just squeezes under the 550m contour at 1:25 000) - and 544.75m for Bwlch-y-Groes.

My valley has it  8)

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2010, 06:18:56 pm »
Ordnance survey gives 538m as a spot height on the road, shown on the 1:25000 maps. On the 1:50000 maps, 542m is given, but it's not clear whether that's a spot height on the road because the green dots for the cycle route get in the way.

Interestingly the spot height on the 1:50000 isn't the highest point on the road - that occurs about 200m further north.

OS large scale (1:10 000) has a 549m spot height for the Gospel Pass (the road just squeezes under the 550m contour at 1:25 000) - and 544.75m for Bwlch-y-Groes.

My valley has it  8)

It is looking like it.

The reason for the question was that I was thinking of a ride to cycle over the highest tarmaced roads in Wales, England and Scotland (and I might make it a loop by adding N and S Ireland). The other intersting addition could be the longest climb in each country. Back to the maps....

« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »
The reason for the question was that I was thinking of a ride to cycle over the highest tarmaced roads in Wales, England and Scotland (and I might make it a loop by adding N and S Ireland). The other intersting addition could be the longest climb in each country. Back to the maps....

Good excuse for doing both...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2010, 11:02:27 pm »
Is Gospel Pass really the highest road in Wales? I'm surprised and, to be honest, disappointed. We did it on the tandem in April. I didn't think it was that hard.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2010, 04:07:51 pm »

I can't see Gospel Pass being the highest road in Wales. I'd have thought Rhiw Fawr out of Machynlleth is higher for one.

« Reply #12 on: 10 October, 2010, 04:12:31 pm »
Is Gospel Pass really the highest road in Wales? I'm surprised and, to be honest, disappointed. We did it on the tandem in April. I didn't think it was that hard.

It is not that tough a climb up the Gospel as the gradient from both sides is fairly gentle. The Bwlch is a much tougher climb from whichever direction.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 10 October, 2010, 09:19:16 pm »

I can't see Gospel Pass being the highest road in Wales. I'd have thought Rhiw Fawr out of Machynlleth is higher for one.

That's given 509m by OS and it doesn't seem to go any higher.

We drove up there a couple of years ago on a horrible wet day and the road gave the impression that it climbed for ever.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:17:24 am »
On a bike it goes further than ever.
It is simpler than it looks.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:28:00 pm »

High(er) does not always mean hard(er).  Most of the old routes in the Black Mountains are long and draggy as opposed to short and sharp - the Gospel pass is no exception.

If you include BOATs (or whatever they are these days), Bwlch ar y Fan in the Brecon Beacons goes up to 599m ...