Author Topic: Mars 2020/Perserverence landing tonight.  (Read 3784 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Mars 2020/Perserverence landing tonight.
« on: 18 February, 2021, 10:30:16 am »
Am I the only one massively excited for this landing at shortly after 8:45 our time tonight.

Not only bringing the first powered flight to another planet, but set up for the multimedia generation with 23 cameras. Hoping for amazing imagery from this one, including mutual photos taken of each machine by the other. Audio being recorded also.

Landing in the bed of an ancient lake in a search for signs of life. Taking core samples for a future (launching 2026) return to earth mission with return about 10 years from now..

I have have full time Nasa Tv on today.

Re: Mars 2020/Perserverence landing tonight.
« Reply #1 on: 18 February, 2021, 10:41:25 am »
I hadn't realised it was happening until last night when we watched a Facebook thing from the South Downs National Park.

A talk from Chichester planetarium about the night sky and Mars.

I originally got muddled wrt time zones and was ready to watch from about 9 this evening through to midnight. Luckily saw on the BBC news site this morning that it's more like 7PM to 9PM that I want NASA live loaded. A mix up between PST and EST on my part I think.

Which actually works better for me as I possibly have to be up early Friday morning.

Looking forward to it.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2021, 10:53:22 am »
And a helicopter. In space. Equipped with frikkin lasers.

That's pretty much on the awesomest end of awesome.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2021, 11:01:38 am »
I've always made a point of never getting excited about any Mars landing until the thing is down and transmitting. This one's much the same, and the media continually bleating "seven minutes of hell" is downright tedious.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2021, 11:34:01 am »
getting excited about the landing ahead of time seems like an entirely avoidable source of stress! Once it's down and producing results is the time to get excited. Investing lots of heartbeats and emotional energy in it before that is the preserve of those who are paid to make it work.

tonycollinet

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2021, 04:12:49 pm »
The 50:50 chance of disaster is part of the fun.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2021, 04:17:30 pm »
And the delay.

You are looking at a feed of data, and potentially it is already smashed to pieces  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2021, 04:31:52 pm »
Am I the only one massively excited for this landing at shortly after 8:45 our time tonight.

Is it not scheduled to land at 8pm?

« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2021, 04:38:42 pm »

Is it not scheduled to land at 8pm?

From the BBC

Key timings for Perseverance's landing
Contact with atmosphere: 20:48 GMT
Parachute deployed: 20:52 GMT
Powered descent: 20:54 GMT
Wheels down: 20:55 GMT
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2021, 05:05:59 pm »
Everything I've seen says 3pm EST or which is 8pm GMT  ???

Davef

Mars 2020/Perserverence landing tonight.
« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2021, 05:36:04 pm »
Depends whether you want to see all the trailers or wait for the main feature. 20:48 is what they were saying a few days ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2021, 06:54:50 pm »
I've always made a point of never getting excited about any Mars landing until the thing is down and transmitting. This one's much the same, and the media continually bleating "seven minutes of hell" is downright tedious.
Likewise - since a small piece of my handiwork got smashed into a trillion pieces.
No-one tells you quite what working in the space industry will be like ...  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:27:20 pm »
I like the think the little rover is saying 'are we there yet?' And then giving it a moment: 'what about now?'

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:40:24 pm »
I like the think the little rover is saying 'are we there yet?' And then giving it a moment: 'what about now?'

Been up there for years, I believe? 

And how's the journey going?  Well, it's alright so fa........

fuzzy

« Reply #14 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:45:48 pm »
Well, seeing as how, within the next hour and a quarter, a device, manufactured on earth, that has my name microscopically laser engraved on it somewhere will either be sitting pretty in Jezero Crater, Mars OR  spread across the Martian landscape in a several of pieces, I for one am a little exited.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:19:15 pm »
Watching now. Just wondering if it is actually possible for anyone to ask a question in the US and the response not to start with, "That is such a great question........."
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fuzzy

« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:21:57 pm »
Watching now. Just wondering if it is actually possible for anyone to ask a question in the US and the response not to start with, "That is such a great question........."

Basil, That is such a great question.....

« Reply #17 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:22:09 pm »

Ask them at what time it will land on Jupiter

« Reply #18 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:24:40 pm »
I find it vaguely amusing to see the people in Mission Control (or whatever it is called) flicking through mahoosive ring binders full of dead trees.

fuzzy

« Reply #19 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:28:20 pm »
I find it vaguely amusing to see the people in Mission Control (or whatever it is called) flicking through mahoosive ring binders full of dead trees.

Redundancy- having an analogue copy of the flight and mission plans is what they do, in case the hamster faints or the elastic band breaks.

ian

« Reply #20 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:28:30 pm »

Basil, That is such a great question.....

It's true, in every meeting now it's 'that's such a great question.' It never is.

tonycollinet

« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:32:10 pm »
12 minute light speed delay. So when our 7 minutes of terror starts, it will already either be smashed to a million pieces spread over the surface of mars, OR safely landed calling home.

OR

Will it Schroedinger style exist simulteneously in both states untill we hear the tiny "Hello? Hello? I've Landed"

:D

tonycollinet

« Reply #22 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:40:50 pm »
You can hear the tension in thier voices now.

« Reply #23 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:41:55 pm »

I had this for about 6 out of 10 questions at the end of a staff forum earlier. I think it’s a way of making the eventual “I don’t know” sound better.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:49:04 pm »

I had this for about 6 out of 10 questions at the end of a staff forum earlier. I think it’s a way of making the eventual “I don’t know” sound better.

I've started doing it, but I dose it with enough sarcasm that no one is sure if I'm being complimentary or not.