Author Topic: Stag hen nights  (Read 3296 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Stag hen nights
« Reply #25 on: 26 January, 2020, 12:40:44 pm »
Just do what you both actually want to do and will enjoy, and dont give a moment's consideration to traditions or what other people tell you that you should do.

That applies to your wedding too.

This.

« Reply #26 on: 26 January, 2020, 12:52:05 pm »
Never mind not having a/more than one binge, we only got married because it was easier to get a flat.  We 'd already lived together for three years, so parties didn't even enter the equation.  I think that these dos. are probably an American commercial invention, like Hallowe'en and Father's Day.  Ask yourselves - do we really like Prague or Dublin enough to want to waste the rent money?  Think how many inner tubes it represents!

Whatever you decide, good luck with your lives!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 26 January, 2020, 01:00:20 pm »
Flatus speaks sense.

I'm getting married later in the year, and been chatting with my financee and we are not sure whether to have separate hen/stag nights or joint one.
What is everyone's thoughts?

Seems weird to have separate ones.  YMMV.

Why?  😊. Generational difference I guess. “In my day...” we’d never have thought of a joint do.

Because it's going to be the same friendship group, mostly, and dividing them up by gender (if that's even applicable) seems weird.
I don't think it's a case of dividing the friends by gender, it's a party for the groom and his friends and a party for the bride and her friends. It seems likely that both groups will include men and women, and people who are friends of both bride and groom get to go to two parties.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 26 January, 2020, 02:17:18 pm »
That can't be right, Cudzo, since basement-dwelling conspiraloon Paul Joseph Watson says it's impossible fir a man and a woman to be just friends unless at least one of them is fat, ugly or gay.  And if such an erudite scholar as he says so, then it is surely Trufax.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 26 January, 2020, 02:22:58 pm »
Oh. Silly me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:01:59 pm »

« Reply #31 on: 29 January, 2020, 06:23:15 am »
I've never been to a stag night. Nor a hen night.

Me neither.  Well, not deliberately.  I've been on the Saturday morning train to York a few times, which is a kind of rolling hen night by default.

This is true. York on a Saturday afternoon is full of hen parties. Often completely smashed at 2:00pm. It's getting bad enough that the council are trying to curb the behaviour, not sure what they can do about it though.
Mind you the spill out from race days is just as bad if a little later and with more clothes.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #32 on: 29 January, 2020, 04:58:55 pm »
I've never been to a stag night. Nor a hen night.

Me neither.  Well, not deliberately.  I've been on the Saturday morning train to York a few times, which is a kind of rolling hen night by default.

This is true. York on a Saturday afternoon is full of hen parties. Often completely smashed at 2:00pm. It's getting bad enough that the council are trying to curb the behaviour, not sure what they can do about it though.
Mind you the spill out from race days is just as bad if a little later and with more clothes.

It's not just Saturday afternoon though, it's pretty much continuous from Thursday to Sunday, especially in summer!

The shortest route from home (Acomb) to work (University) for me is Tadcaster Road, then round the northern end of the racecourse and Knavesmire Road to the Millennium Bridge. On race days I head north over Clifton Bridge and pick up the Foss Islands route out to Osbaldwick. It's about 2 miles longer, but a lot easier than picking ones way through the fighting drunks (on foot and in cars!) and trying to get along/across a totally gridlocked Tadcaster Road.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #33 on: 29 January, 2020, 06:25:35 pm »
I'm going on a stag weekend next week to Amsterdam. There are four of us. I'm the youngest and I'm 51.

I'm not envisaging particularly late nights  ;D

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #34 on: 30 January, 2020, 01:50:53 pm »
I'm going on a stag weekend next week to Amsterdam. There are four of us. I'm the youngest and I'm 51.

ooh, did you see that Rembrandt, that  Night Watchmen was a hot one wasn't it?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: 30 January, 2020, 02:14:57 pm »

Not envisioning a "Last Vegas" type weekend then?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #36 on: 30 January, 2020, 03:38:49 pm »
Well...the other three are Italian, so there will be some sort of utter lunacy

« Reply #37 on: 30 January, 2020, 04:17:29 pm »
Re Stag does, when you reach a certain age, it's less important about what you the groom want, and more about what the fellow attendees want. Now the majority of my friends are married and have young kids, they're putting pressure on the sole unmarried guy in our group to propose, just so we can all get a night or 2 off from child wrangling, and go get hammered as a group again.