Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 524695 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4275 on: 05 March, 2021, 01:08:47 pm »
This sounds like psyclist's best ever idea (a low bar obviously).

Thanks Carlos  ;D

I'm glad there's interest ... I'll get a date organised before more than 6 people express an interest. The curry is only available 18:30 - 19:30 on a Friday night, so that might be the best option? Or is that too early for some ... in which case maybe aim for early afternoon on a Sat or Sun?

In other news, the Double Dutch places are going swiftly, in case anybody was looking for a 200km ride from Huntingdon on 3rd April.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #4276 on: 05 March, 2021, 01:53:47 pm »
You got me at Belgian. Yes please!  :P ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4277 on: 05 March, 2021, 07:36:37 pm »
Yes please! If oversubscribed we could have some sort of breakaway gathering of another 6?

« Reply #4278 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:39:44 pm »
Goat pron = naked goats etc, I'm kidding (geddit?)  :-D

The drone shots are great, nice music too, your daughter?
Ha! Lockdown has ruined my SOH! yes, daughter did the music on her midi keyboard for me. Glad you liked it, must get the drone repaired soon.

« Reply #4279 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:53:52 pm »
Need now to look at getting the old wheel trued up, if possible.

What wheel or parts? Boutique designs with low spoke counts are less serviceable than traditional designs.
Spoke and nipple type and condition? Stainless spokes wth J ends and brass nipples are the most likely to respond to attempts to turn them. Black spokes and nipples often lose their plating during tweaking - a cosmetic problem for posh wheels that can be fixed with a marker pen! Aluminium nipples don't respond well.
How damaged is the rim, and how worn is it? If you give the rim a thorough cleaning it should reveal any micro cracks - these often occur around the spoke holes, and show as starburst cracks. If possible take the tyre and rim tape off to inspect the inner surface for cracks around the spoke holes - twin wall rims with eyelets can suffer from this damage. Joint misalignment is another indicator of an unserviceable rim.
Ah! just the man!

Thank you, BFC.

Its a Giant PR-2, stock wheel that come with the Defy 1 Disc. I haven't even looked at it properly yet but I will do and then I'll be back for your advice, if you'd be so kind. I don't think the the damage is too bad as I managed to pull the wheel out from under the edge of his tyre, but I'll let you know, it would be good to have a spare again.

Thanks,
Nick.

« Reply #4280 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:55:18 pm »
Good to see some activity going on, easing us gently in to opening back up...  :thumbsup:

An interesting option for a Fri / Sat or Sun if people are interested would be the Belgium Brewer, who have outdoor tables available from 12th April, and serve curries or other food if desired. I'm happy to arrange if there is interest. As those who came to my garden party a couple of years ago will testify, the beer is exquisite.

https://thebelgianbrewer.co.uk/
I'd be very interested if there's room for me.

Thanks,
Nick.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4281 on: 07 March, 2021, 09:32:28 am »

In other news, the Double Dutch places are going swiftly, in case anybody was looking for a 200km ride from Huntingdon on 3rd April.

The Dutch Wife and I have entered - ACME bubble anyone? You may not want to ride with us all day as our current on the road average speed is 20kph, but it will be her first 200k (220k).
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #4282 on: 07 March, 2021, 09:52:05 am »
Sure you’ll be quicker in the flat terrain of the fens

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4283 on: 07 March, 2021, 10:09:50 am »
Just booked both my COVID jabs!  Chelmsford Racecourse, 29th March and 15th June!  Really chuffed!!!   :thumbsup:

If you are over 56 you can book on-line like I did, although it said on the telly that anyone over 56 should be getting a letter very soon.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4284 on: 07 March, 2021, 01:32:55 pm »
Excellent OD, it'll be safe to see you in April. I'm back on my bike this week, hope you will be as well, soon.

« Reply #4285 on: 07 March, 2021, 02:03:09 pm »
From memory (and it has been a while) it's NEVER safe to see OD. Especially near a bike.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4286 on: 07 March, 2021, 02:21:48 pm »
From memory (and it has been a while) it's NEVER safe to see OD. Especially near a bike.

Cheeky git  :-*

Excellent OD, it'll be safe to see you in April. I'm back on my bike this week, hope you will be as well, soon.

Yes, April is starting to look good.  I think I'd be more comfortable giving it a while for my first jab to start doing it's stuff but I think I'd be OK venturing out before May  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4287 on: 07 March, 2021, 02:47:40 pm »
So what are the rules for cycling in groups now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #4288 on: 07 March, 2021, 02:56:19 pm »

Cheeky git  :-*

Yes, April is starting to look good.  I think I'd be more comfortable giving it a while for my first jab to start doing it's stuff but I think I'd be OK venturing out before May  :thumbsup:

Wait till the second head starts growing. The others might call you Zaffod.

« Reply #4289 on: 07 March, 2021, 03:24:03 pm »

The Dutch Wife and I have entered - ACME bubble anyone? You may not want to ride with us all day as our current on the road average speed is 20kph, but it will be her first 200k (220k).
Hmm, I just tried to enter but its full up. I'm emailing to get on the reserve list. Need to do a 200 really, its been too long!

« Reply #4290 on: 07 March, 2021, 04:22:24 pm »
Hmm, I just tried to enter but its full up. I'm emailing to get on the reserve list. Need to do a 200 really, its been too long!

ECE the Woodman 2 weeks later?

I'm starting in the last group at 8:30 as I'm doing car park duties beforehand. If you wanted to start at the same time, then I can check with Martin.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4291 on: 07 March, 2021, 09:10:33 pm »

ECE the Woodman 2 weeks later?
Many thanks! Is that on the Audax site as I can't find it?

« Reply #4292 on: 07 March, 2021, 09:18:07 pm »

« Reply #4293 on: 07 March, 2021, 09:28:51 pm »
Thank you, Phil!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4294 on: 07 March, 2021, 10:41:30 pm »
I'm going to ECE the Woodman. Is there any way to lean gently on the organiser re selecting his groups of 6?  O:-)
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #4295 on: 07 March, 2021, 11:39:55 pm »
Good idea, be really nice to have some others to ride with.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4296 on: 08 March, 2021, 07:32:06 am »
I'm going to ECE the Woodman. Is there any way to lean gently on the organiser re selecting his groups of 6?  O:-)

I'll get an info sheet out to riders this week - you'll be able to choose who you want to ride with, then I'll draw up a list and some further negotiation* will be possible ... although I rather enjoyed being put with a random group of (mostly) strangers on the Autumnal 100km last year.

* Subject to my cat-herding tolerance.

« Reply #4297 on: 08 March, 2021, 03:48:52 pm »
Super, thanks!
Not seen anyone for ages, so frankly I'm not sure I care whose wheel I get to sit on!
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4298 on: 08 March, 2021, 04:24:58 pm »
Need now to look at getting the old wheel trued up, if possible.

What wheel or parts? Boutique designs with low spoke counts are less serviceable than traditional designs.
Spoke and nipple type and condition? Stainless spokes wth J ends and brass nipples are the most likely to respond to attempts to turn them. Black spokes and nipples often lose their plating during tweaking - a cosmetic problem for posh wheels that can be fixed with a marker pen! Aluminium nipples don't respond well.
How damaged is the rim, and how worn is it? If you give the rim a thorough cleaning it should reveal any micro cracks - these often occur around the spoke holes, and show as starburst cracks. If possible take the tyre and rim tape off to inspect the inner surface for cracks around the spoke holes - twin wall rims with eyelets can suffer from this damage. Joint misalignment is another indicator of an unserviceable rim.
Ah! just the man!

Thank you, BFC.

Its a Giant PR-2, stock wheel that come with the Defy 1 Disc. I haven't even looked at it properly yet but I will do and then I'll be back for your advice, if you'd be so kind. I don't think the the damage is too bad as I managed to pull the wheel out from under the edge of his tyre, but I'll let you know, it would be good to have a spare again.

Thanks,
Nick.
The wheel design looks to be serviceable, from the pictures they are: - 28 spoke, 2 cross, black J bend spokes with black brass nipples. The rims are probably twin wall, non eyelet, sleeve jointed with the joint hidden under the stickers opposite the valve.
Most factory wheels have theadlock on the nipples so can be a a pain to fine tune - I suspect as you stopped using the wheel it needs more than fine tuning.
Wheel building kit is permanently set up.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4299 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:11:09 pm »
Just booked both my COVID jabs!  Chelmsford Racecourse, 29th March and 15th June!  Really chuffed!!!   :thumbsup:

If you are over 56 you can book on-line like I did, although it said on the telly that anyone over 56 should be getting a letter very soon.
I also have bookings (29th march and 16th June) at Chelmsford Racecourse. Whilst out on a bike today thought I would check out the cycle access - forget it! The only access is off the dual carriageway (A131).