Author Topic: Cat eye rear light mounting on seat stays?  (Read 2086 times)

Phil W

Cat eye rear light mounting on seat stays?
« on: 27 September, 2019, 08:24:21 pm »
Anyone know if the mount this rear light comes with, fits securely on seat stays, and can also angle the light appropriately?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=cateye+tl-ld610+5+led+rear+light&cat=product

Re: Cat eye rear light mounting on seat stays?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:01:12 pm »

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:29:41 pm »
Other cateye lights work fine on seatstays with that bracket but that light could well be too long, depending on the angle of your seat stays. If you go with a shorter light like the LD135 it will work.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/cateye-tlld135-rear-light/

rob

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:49:17 pm »
I’ve got one of those on each seat stay.  I could get them upright fine although one rider on PBP said they were a bit bright.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2019, 10:09:34 pm »
If you fit it horizontally, it will definitely fit. Vertically might be a problem depending on the angle of your seat stays. The jubilee clip style band fits a whole wide variety of diameters, seat stays, frame tubes, etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2019, 08:03:15 am »
If you fit it horizontally, the light may be too close to your wheel. Maybe better with a 3 LED version, eg that LD630.

« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2019, 08:18:54 am »
Other cateye lights work fine on seatstays with that bracket but that light could well be too long, depending on the angle of your seat stays. If you go with a shorter light like the LD135 it will work.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/cateye-tlld135-rear-light/
You would need the stay angle of a 25" horizontal top tube bike to get the 610 aimed properly when in the vertical position.
With most modern bikes, the bottom end of the light hits the stay, and the light points slightly upwards, straight into the eyes of the rider behind, and over the top of any approaching car.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2019, 08:38:44 am »
You can sometimes remove the clamp on rear lights and bolt them to a rear mudguard eye using a bit of alu tube as a spacer.  I did this on my old 50s clubman.  Caveat: that has mudguard eyes halfway up the seatstays; most mudguard eyes are near the dropout.  A rear light must be at least 350mm from the ground so it's touch-and-go for most bikes with 700c wheels, and a no-no for smaller wheels. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:17:58 am »
Got one on my Domane opposite the dynamo rear-light, near enough vertical.  Need to tighten up the strap occasionally.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:24:54 am »
Got one on my Domane opposite the dynamo rear-light, near enough vertical.  Need to tighten up the strap occasionally.

if you use thick rubber packing between the band and the seat stay, you may be able to go longer between retightening sessions.

cheers

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:50:30 am »
Thanks for replies.

I've got one of these old (bought it pre 2010) long cat eyes (looks same as link I posted) that I used to mount on my mtn bike, but mount long since lost. Amazingly checked last night and the batteries in it are still working.  Will get a 3 LED version as I want one on each seat stay. Then will see how my long thin 5 led version looks on the seat stay as I think it uses the same mount as the 3 led ones. If it works ok I can just get a new mount.  Think horizontal may bring it too close to spokes for my liking.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:56:16 am »

if you use thick rubber packing between the band and the seat stay, you may be able to go longer between retightening sessions.

cheers

Yes, that's what I've got.  Helps to stop it swivelling round into the wheel, too - plastic on carbon is kinda slippery.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »
do you think the band is more likely to slip on the packing, or the packing to slip on the stay?  Maybe a bit of double-sided tape could help avoid one or both?

cheers