Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 871686 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3200 on: 30 March, 2013, 05:27:10 pm »
Oh yes :)

Just got to source a decent 6-bolt disc rotor now

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3201 on: 30 March, 2013, 05:38:19 pm »
A Cateye LD-610 clone so I don't need to keep transferring my LD-600 between bikes.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3202 on: 01 April, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »
Not bought, but acquired... The world's worst BSO.

My sister bought it (against my strict instructions), and thankfully never rode it - check out the front brake cable routing for a start!

I'm so glad she never actually rode it anywhere - it seems to be an absolute deathtrap. It also had such fantastic safety features such as a loose headset and two loose wheels. But The Mother has asked me to tidy it up, make it safe, and let her ride it for a few weeks until she decides whether or not she wants a real bike  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3203 on: 01 April, 2013, 06:55:23 pm »
Some white reflective tape and 3 x Vitesse bib-knicks, the trial purchase having passed the Easter Arrow audition. http://www.vitesse.pl/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3204 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »
A bottle cage tool holder (basically a screwtop wide necked bottle) from eBay, maybe on some rides at least I can get away without overpacking  ::-)

Can't use my second cage on the go anyway as even my little bottle is a pig to get out.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3205 on: 06 April, 2013, 12:39:29 am »
A set of unicycle cranks.  (Rest of unicycle left as an exercise for the reader.)

« Reply #3206 on: 06 April, 2013, 06:37:35 pm »
Not strictly bike gear but some Icebreaker tops for skiing and super cold riding etc. Always buy them this time of year because the sales are on.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3207 on: 06 April, 2013, 11:27:34 pm »
2 new chains, new shifter cables, and a rear mech for MrsC's commuty bike. This winter has really hammered her bike - she rides every day, whatever the weather, about 450 miles a month - and it is starting to give up the fight for life. When the weather turns and she can use a summer bike, I'm going to have to replace pretty much anything that moves on it!

Cheap at half the price for a life well lived.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3208 on: 07 April, 2013, 08:35:14 am »
2 new chains, new shifter cables, and a rear mech for MrsC's commuty bike. This winter has really hammered her bike - she rides every day, whatever the weather, about 450 miles a month - and it is starting to give up the fight for life. When the weather turns and she can use a summer bike, I'm going to have to replace pretty much anything that moves on it!

Cheap at half the price for a life well lived.

All now fettled and ready for whatever else this endless winter can throw at it! But headset, BB and Spa hand built wheels are on the wish list for this summer. Meantime, her Spesh Dolce got its first ride of the year yesterday - complete with new grey/white Shimso RS30s. Very bling!

« Reply #3209 on: 07 April, 2013, 05:46:54 pm »
M5 nuts, hex head bolts for attaching light brackets to racks, and 7sp chain links. Exciting stuff. :-\

« Reply #3210 on: 07 April, 2013, 06:17:05 pm »
Nothing yet (today).
Trying to decide between "shopping baskets" at two different well-known online retailers.
Entirely different items in each.

« Reply #3211 on: 07 April, 2013, 06:34:13 pm »
Some odds and sods - skewers (RED), cable stops (RED), bar plugs (RED), all from Hope. To go with the (RED) Hope BB and headset. I hope the paint shop at work hurry up with my pearlescent black frame respray so I can start my build next weekend!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3212 on: 08 April, 2013, 01:06:18 am »
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3213 on: 08 April, 2013, 11:09:45 am »
Accessories for The Dungeon don't belong in this thread. ;)
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3214 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:28:32 pm »
One of these

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Thule-Xpress-970-Bike-Carrier/Pr314736000?gclid=CNyPuu7cwLYCFfLLtAodKV4AJw

so that I can carry 4 bikes on the car

2 onthe towball
2 onthe roof bars

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3215 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:29:40 pm »
Good, those.  Make sure the bike tyres are well clear of the exhaust pipe (DAHIKT).

« Reply #3216 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:37:26 pm »
Barley arrived, a 'Janet,' woot. Also got hold of an Eigo Ion jacket which has quite a good write up in Cycling plus. Small sizing! but quality seems good.

https://www.cyclestuffdirect.com/clothing/mens/jackets/eigo-ion-water-resistant-jacket.html
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3217 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:51:51 pm »
Make sure the tyres are well clear of the exhaust pipe (DAHIKT).

yup.
BTDTGTTS in the past with a  similar product by Messrs.Witter which fitted directly to the tow bar bracketry.

I've had the same advice from ChrisS otp who uses a similar contraption which allowed me to buy mine with confidence.

Thanks for the input.

« Reply #3218 on: 10 April, 2013, 08:07:47 pm »
One of these

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Thule-Xpress-970-Bike-Carrier/Pr314736000?gclid=CNyPuu7cwLYCFfLLtAodKV4AJw

so that I can carry 4 bikes on the car

2 onthe towball
2 onthe roof bars

Really good piece of kit but will not take two road bikes IME. Seems to be designed for two straight barred continental bikes. Would not be without it though due to ease of use for solo use. (There is a three bike version as well which I use to overcome these limitations)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3219 on: 10 April, 2013, 09:17:03 pm »
Purchased 9 phaarts! They're only 99p from Planet X.

I stuck my bike in the back of the van and and bust 2 Blackburn Mars lights hanging of the Barley @#!? :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3220 on: 10 April, 2013, 09:55:46 pm »
^^ i looked at these while buying some latex inner tubes thinking "how many spare lights should i get for this too-cheap-not-to-buy price". resisted temptation this time.

« Reply #3221 on: 10 April, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »
I'll let you know if they're any good. They look like Smart Light copies.

I won't see them for a few days because I'm not at home but I'll let you know if they're worth the massive expenditure :D

the tubes are okay, apart from the red dust caps. They're in my front and rear tyres now.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3222 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:04:04 am »
I bought an assortment the last time they were that cheap.

They're Smart clones.  They work, and are reassuringly bright.  They feel fairly cheap, but don't appear any more likely to self-destruct than the real thing.  The bracket compatibility with my proper Smart superflash is a bit unidirectional (either fit the Phaart bracket, but the Phaart is loose in the Smart).  Excellent value.

The Strap-ons are worth it purely for the batteries.  I have several.

(NB: Anyone found sigging that will be added to the List).

« Reply #3223 on: 11 April, 2013, 08:07:25 am »
Good to hear Kim, they're just being strapped to the hoops on the barley :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #3224 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:39:24 am »
the tubes are okay, apart from the red dust caps. They're in my front and rear tyres now.

Quicker repairs?