Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874032 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3850 on: 10 February, 2014, 02:38:15 pm »
Word to the wise, if you're slightly larger than normal in any dimension, forget Endura unless you're in a position  to try it on first - their sizing is so inconsistent it's maddening.

Seconded.  They make the usual mistake of ignoring the fact that women come in different shapes, but they also have a lack of consistency across ranges.  It's worth persevering, though: some of it actually fits.

Endura make some nice stuff, I'd like them more if they made more of it in my size.

My experience with the likes of Assos and Etxe-Ondo is such that if you're not a racing snake, forget it.

My experience of Assos is limited to a set of arm warmers for budgetary reasons.  I had to send them back to get the largest size.  I consider my arms to be neither particularly flabby nor particularly muscular, so I'm not sure how anyone with a substantial amount of either is supposed to get on.

« Reply #3851 on: 10 February, 2014, 03:37:09 pm »
I assume when I'm rich, I'll be thin. There's a HUGE correlation between wealth & size1. It's only us plebs who're fat. The world will be my cycling clothing oyster.

1: Having just looked it up, apparently that's only very true for white women. Sorry chaps, you could still be fat when you're rich, too. It's just me who will magically become thin when she's rich.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3852 on: 10 February, 2014, 03:54:27 pm »
I assume when I'm rich, I'll be thin.
And Endura's sizing will still be batshit crazy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3853 on: 10 February, 2014, 04:03:17 pm »
I am larger than average in most directions.  Yet my Humvees are L.  I expect clothes to be XL.

I've seen a lot of spendier options, btw, and I don't like them.  No need to spend more than necessary.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3854 on: 10 February, 2014, 05:52:07 pm »
I assume when I'm rich, I'll be thin. There's a HUGE correlation between wealth & size1. It's only us plebs who're fat. The world will be my cycling clothing oyster.

I don't remember clothes fitting particularly well when I was thin either (shoulders were the problem, rather than thighs), though admittedly I wasn't buying cycling-specific ones in those days.

« Reply #3855 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:01:53 pm »
Don't be ridiculous Kim, next you'll be telling me thin people can also get depressed, and being rich doesn't solve all your problems. :hand:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3856 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:03:33 pm »
Don't be ridiculous Kim, next you'll be telling me thin people can also get depressed, and being rich doesn't solve all your problems. :hand:

Must be true.  Government policy, innit.

« Reply #3857 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:22:13 pm »
I am larger than average in most directions.  Yet my Humvees are L.  I expect clothes to be XL.

I've seen a lot of spendier options, btw, and I don't like them.  No need to spend more than necessary.

You must be suffering from slenderbum. My XL HV don't go near despite alleged sizing which was a huge disappointment.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3858 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:49:32 pm »

You must be suffering from slenderbum. My XL HV don't go near despite alleged sizing which was a huge disappointment.
This proves my point about their sizing, I think - my shorts of choice are Endura FS260Pro bibs; I can get away with an XL. XXL Humvees? Not a chance in hell, but then I do have pretty big thighs. I still have a couple of pairs of their old MT500 shorts which I use on the turbo - size? Large  ::-)

Endura tops? Don't even go there - being a 50" chest means that getting tops is always going to be tricky at the best of times, but despite being (supposedly) for a 48-50" chest, Endura's XXL tops are insanely tight. Altura, on the other hand, I can often get away with an XL without feeling like I'm wearing a straitjacket ???

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #3859 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:56:10 pm »
N+1 A Brompton Barcelona (S6L)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3860 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:57:39 pm »
Needs more orange - did they run out halfway or something?  ;D

« Reply #3861 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:58:10 pm »

:thumbsup:

Can I have a go, mister?

Does that mean one of the interviews went well?

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #3862 on: 10 February, 2014, 07:23:32 pm »
Needs more orange - did they run out halfway or something?  ;D
I agree but at least there is some orange. I had decided on a S6 so it was a case of what ever Cycle Heaven had in stock when I got there tonight as I need it for tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

Can I have a go, mister?

Does that mean one of the interviews went well?
Yes, I got one of them. I'm working for 6 months in Billingham, so getting a train to Thornaby and then 4.5 miles to the site.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3863 on: 10 February, 2014, 07:36:56 pm »
Umm, see you on the train?  I get the 07:32 out, then the 18:03 back from Yarm.

As for cycling stuff, yesterday's tyre fitting revealed a rear hub in need of repacking.  That's fine, I've got cone spanners ... except that my hub turned out to require a 19mm model which I wasn't even aware existed.  Two new cone spanners ordered from Wiggle, plus some puncture patches to make up the cost so I didn't have to pay postage, plus some spoke reflectors off fleabay to replace the brown ones on my spokes at the moment. 

« Reply #3864 on: 10 February, 2014, 08:07:32 pm »

Congratulations!

Top tip for getting out of Thornaby - ride along the pavement on the RH side of Victoria Bridge (I think it is a shared use path nowadays), bear right past Mecca bingo and across the pedestrian crossing on the Riverside road. This means you get to avoid Bridge Road roundabout, which is fucking awful, and I'd be surprised if the recent roadworks have improved it any. Then i'd probably go up the A139 as there's a bridge over the A19 into Billingham. Mind you, the road from Norton down to the roundabout with the A19 is fun, as there's a long ish downhill and if you find a decent gap you can take the roundabout at 35 mph ;D It's less fun from the Billingham side, mind.

I suppose the alternative is to go over the Tees Barrage and through Portrack, but that is truly fucking horrible at commute o'clock, with some ghastly cycle lanes.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #3865 on: 11 February, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »
Thornaby - ride along the pavement on the RH side of Victoria Bridge (I think it is a shared use path nowadays), bear right past Mecca bingo and across the pedestrian crossing on the Riverside road. This means you get to avoid Bridge Road roundabout, which is fucking awful, and I'd be surprised if the recent roadworks have improved it any. Then i'd probably go up the A139 as there's a bridge over the A19 into Billingham. Mind you, the road from Norton down to the roundabout with the A19 is fun, as there's a long ish downhill and if you find a decent gap you can take the roundabout at 35 mph ;D It's less fun from the Billingham side, mind.

*wistful sigh*

« Reply #3866 on: 14 February, 2014, 09:25:23 pm »
A new shiny Cane Creek headset and a new bottom bracket. Turns out the worn out bottom bracket was a Shimano! And I thought only the quick release in my Rohloff was Shimano...
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #3867 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:13:31 am »
One of these http://www.birzman.com/products.php?src=prod&subclass_sn=19  certainly makes things easier.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3868 on: 24 February, 2014, 09:04:36 am »
Replacement outer chainring for the Horizon, and a tool for undoing the chainring bolts holding the old one on.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3869 on: 24 February, 2014, 09:11:34 am »
Replacement outer chainring for the Horizon, and a tool for undoing the chainring bolts holding the old one on.
Get yourself some Truvativ chainring bolts - no more weird-ass tools required, just a couple of allen keys.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3870 on: 24 February, 2014, 09:48:11 am »
I have some in a box somewhere, but I also have four chainsets with the silly slit bolts in so I figured I might as well get the tool to work on them.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3871 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:03:57 pm »
Get yourself some Truvativ chainring bolts - no more weird-ass tools required, just a couple of allen keys.

fsa does allen-key type chainring bolts as well. does anyone know any other makes?
(the slit type chainring nuts should be outlawed)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3872 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:12:47 pm »
A pair of master link pliers - I've now got supremely calloused thumbs and an expanded vocabulary as a result of trying to remove the Pugsley's chain by hand.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3873 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:20:41 pm »

fsa does allen-key type chainring bolts as well. does anyone know any other makes?
(the slit type chainring nuts should be outlawed)
SRAM do some.

I know that Truvativ are part of SRAM, but I would imagine that the SRAM-branded bolts are more road-oriented, whereas the Truvativ-branded ones are aimed more at off-road setups (I use the Truvativ single+bash bolts - they do a fine job of keeping the two chainrings on the fixed MTBs in the right place, as well as the pukka single+bash setup on the singlespeed)

« Reply #3874 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:22:03 pm »
An Argon 18 Gallium Pro frame for my "birthday build". Not an especially notable birthday, but hey, so what  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)