Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 871683 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #4475 on: 02 April, 2015, 01:44:40 pm »
Cheap as chips Aldi bike pump (5 Euros). Possibly useless (have not tried it) and undoubtedly tricky for an effectively one-armed lady but having bought a CO2 pump and cartridges a friend told me not to just rely on that but also have a backup pump. So I wanted something small and light as the backup pump which hopefully I won't need to use.

A sensible approach - the fairy is well aware of the n+1 rule (where n is the number of cartridges you have).  Also, it's worth having a pump to put that first puff of air into a new tube so you can stuff it into the tyre without it getting snagged.  That sort of fine control is tricky with CO2 (DAHIKT).

I assume this is what Brompton had in mind with their standard-issue Zefal, which seems competent enough as mini pumps go, but not the sort of thing you'd want to inflate a Brompton tyre with.

« Reply #4476 on: 02 April, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »
Cheap as chips Aldi bike pump (5 Euros). Possibly useless (have not tried it) and undoubtedly tricky for an effectively one-armed lady but having bought a CO2 pump and cartridges a friend told me not to just rely on that but also have a backup pump. So I wanted something small and light as the backup pump which hopefully I won't need to use.

A sensible approach - the fairy is well aware of the n+1 rule (where n is the number of cartridges you have).  Also, it's worth having a pump to put that first puff of air into a new tube so you can stuff it into the tyre without it getting snagged.  That sort of fine control is tricky with CO2 (DAHIKT).

I assume this is what Brompton had in mind with their standard-issue Zefal, which seems competent enough as mini pumps go, but not the sort of thing you'd want to inflate a Brompton tyre with.

I've had a fair bit of success with the brompton pump though usually I use the track pump at home the first chance I get after fixing a puncture. I however have lost three of the buggers until I starting using a velcro cable tie to stop them escaping their mountings under way.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4477 on: 02 April, 2015, 02:08:06 pm »
I however have lost three of the buggers until I starting using a velcro cable tie to stop them escaping their mountings under way.

Ah, that's a good idea.  *goes to look for one*

I haven't yet had my pump work loose, but I had to drill a new mounting hole to offset the handle so it wouldn't foul the spokes, which to my mind makes it more inclined to sproing outwards if it does rattle loose.

« Reply #4478 on: 02 April, 2015, 05:52:47 pm »
I've never worked out how to get the Brompton pump off the bike! ::-)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4479 on: 02 April, 2015, 06:18:02 pm »
Or even use the pump for the first 40 or 50 psi (which can be easy even with a rubbish pump) to make the CO2 last longer, then just one cartridge can be enough for high pressure for two incidents.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4480 on: 02 April, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »
I've never worked out how to get the Brompton pump off the bike! ::-)

Compress it a bit.  It's a standard frame-pump style mounting.  There's a sliding rubber seal that makes it a bit stiff, presumably fulfilling the dual purpose of helping keep it from springing loose and keeping the worst of the grime that's magnetically attracted to Brompton rear ends out of the pumpy bits.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4481 on: 05 April, 2015, 12:38:52 pm »
After much umm-ing, aah-ing and faffing around with bikes and tape measures I've pulled the trigger on n+1.

Surly #3 will enter the building (soon-ish) and is orange(ish)1

It'll go nicely with the two other Surlys and the Salsa. Truly, I am QBP's bitch.

1 - http://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey_ops - frame-only, though. I'm building it up as a fixed-gear singletrack slayer now that the Salsa is 1x10. Plus I'll have something cool to ride at SSUK  :P

« Reply #4482 on: 05 April, 2015, 09:32:26 pm »
Some Nuun strawberry lemonade drinks tabs
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4483 on: 06 April, 2015, 10:37:29 am »
Nothing exciting: MET Forte helmet in white off ebay.

Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4484 on: 07 April, 2015, 03:52:07 pm »
New counter. The old one is 2001 tech, wireless, and plugs into a receiver on the handlebars. Contacts are susceptible to rain and vibration.  Yesterday my max speed was logged as 180 kph.

(click to show/hide)

It also picks up any electrical interference, including passing trains and my B&M IQ/Cyo, so that I'm still using a 2008 Fly. HRM loses contact every time I stand on the pedals. Etc etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4485 on: 07 April, 2015, 04:06:39 pm »
Ding Dong Moo!

« Reply #4486 on: 07 April, 2015, 04:31:25 pm »

Chris S

« Reply #4487 on: 07 April, 2015, 04:37:07 pm »
Ding Dong Moo!

Shouldn't you have one with a pig on, Ham?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4488 on: 07 April, 2015, 08:01:27 pm »
It doesn't actually moo, does it?  For that would be splendid.

« Reply #4489 on: 07 April, 2015, 09:38:24 pm »
It doesn't actually moo, does it?  For that would be splendid.

Sadly, no. (and there was no Ham option)

The Amsterdamies have a rather fine selection of stuffs to choose from when it comes to cycle stuffs.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4490 on: 08 April, 2015, 02:15:49 pm »
A new rear gear cable and some Top-Spec 100% Genuine "Air" for the rear shock on the MTB (I admit I let the shop do the fettling on those, as they could do it there and then and the cable and fettling came to a whopping £8) as well as some blingy new red-anodized lock-on grips from t'other shop. And a latte while they tinkered with the gears.

Credit where it's due, @thehub has only been open a few months but as a bike-shop-meets-cafe I can't fault them. He was probably tinkering with it for half an hour, and I hadn't even realised that someone had messed up the limit screws and it wouldn't drop to the bottom of the cassette until he told me he'd fixed it. Coffee isn't bad either.

« Reply #4491 on: 08 April, 2015, 02:21:56 pm »
Some insoles to try and alleviate my numb toe syndrome, plus some Nuun "Strawberry Lemonade" tabs.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4492 on: 08 April, 2015, 04:30:27 pm »
New rear wheel arrived at LBS: 105 hub, Open Pro rim, 32 spokes. Also picked up 3 pairs Endura Coolmax socks.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4493 on: 08 April, 2015, 04:51:53 pm »
Some new Cinelli handlebars for the Sabbath. I've gone off the shape of the middle area of my current bars and was looking something quite flat just behind the hoods. These are a weird shape, so will either be amazing or totally awful .....

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4494 on: 08 April, 2015, 06:02:23 pm »
A set of SLX hydraulic brakes, rotors and caliper adapters for same, a Thomson seatpost, a pair of Mary bars and some Ergon GC1 grips, a bottom bracket, a chainset, a stem and some of On-One's El Guapo flat pedals.

All of these for the fixed-gear Karate Monkey that will, disties willing, be getting built at the weekend.

No partridge in a pear tree, though - they're on back-order.

« Reply #4495 on: 09 April, 2015, 08:45:59 am »
2 new tryker tires for the trice  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4496 on: 09 April, 2015, 11:07:33 am »
Cassette and chain for The Long Unused Mountain Bike.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4497 on: 09 April, 2015, 01:03:25 pm »
Shutter PV8/Sapim Laser/Pacenti SL23 front wheel, plus a Revo and a Red Eye all from JustRidingAlong

« Reply #4498 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:31:18 pm »
Some new mudguards (Raleigh Elements from Planet X: they're cheap, and from the pictures look very much like the Tortecs I haven't yet managed to destroy on another bike, so I'll give them a go) and some new cables, both for the not-Tifosi. It really needs a full post-winter strip down and service, but as the winter doesn't seem to want to end yet I'm not sure when I'll actually get round to doing this. :-\

« Reply #4499 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:04:06 am »
New head for my Topeak Mini Morph, the old one having inexplicably fallen out & been lost. Expensive for what it is, especially with postage, but much cheaper than a new pump.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897