Author Topic: 2023 Route  (Read 7441 times)

Re: 2023 Route
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2023, 08:10:10 pm »
This looks a lot like the route presented on saturday in Paris. So it should be the provisional route.

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2023, 04:37:58 am »
Not sure how official ths is.
 https://www.openrunner.com/route-search?author=PBP2023-ACP&fbclid=IwAR1nO11JzbiqZ-Y_fFqXJo_x7rQNohfzTiJOvLtlUKV_ZOpEEZbdvCrN4Hc

Those are now linked from the PBP 2023 site on the Route Stages page. The new Stage 8 Brest-Carhaix looks a bit of a reminder that it is not all over yet (after 604kms)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2023, 09:28:43 am »
interesting, much less overlap between out and back route than last time

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2023, 04:11:36 pm »
The Airbnb I booked near Carhaix is thankfully still on the route ;D

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2023, 04:56:31 pm »
It was quite nice seeing and greeting the riders still heading west as I returned east.  Less of that this year I guess.

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2023, 06:16:52 pm »
It was quite nice seeing and greeting the riders still heading west as I returned east.  Less of that this year I guess.

Deliberate for safety reasons, small roads which cause difficulties with traffic in both directions and more and more strong and blinding headlights.

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2023, 07:24:19 pm »
Two notable omissions: Mamers both ways and (sadly) Sizun on the return. Brest-Carhaix return avoids Roc'h Trevezel.

The section from Fougeres to Tinteniac is almost totally revised.

#makewattsnotwar

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2023, 10:26:36 am »
Had a quick look at this

Some fairly significant route changes and a good bit lumpier than 2019. 

Stage 8 (Brest - Carhaix) looks to be a particular test! 

« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2023, 01:00:37 pm »
Had a quick look at this

That stage goes over/by the Roc de T' just the same (col at 344m). Difference is the stage to Brest doesn't, which, imo, is a pity.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2023, 01:20:39 pm »
Had a quick look at this

That stage goes over/by the Roc de T' just the same (col at 344m). Difference is the stage to Brest doesn't, which, imo, is a pity.

I thought it was the other way; out to Brest over the Roc and return to Carhaix further south.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #11 on: 18 January, 2023, 02:24:02 pm »
Had a quick look at this

I thought it was the other way; out to Brest over the Roc and return to Carhaix further south.

that's my interpretation, maybe the confusion is that the stage order in the list on the left is reversed.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #12 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:35:55 pm »
Had a quick look at this

that's my interpretation, maybe the confusion is that the stage order in the list on the left is reversed.

yup me too, over the Roc to Sizun but into Brest through Landernau & Guipavas on Stage 7 [ie using largely the return route from the most recent versions between Sizun and Brest]. 

Riders wont cross the bridge until after the Brest control then Stage 8 visits Plougastel and Loperhet using the old outward route and after Loperhet its all new for 2023 until Carhaix when the out and return routes meet after a 182km loop.   

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 20 January, 2023, 08:51:16 am »

Riders wont cross the bridge until after the Brest control
Last time I hit the bridge at Dawn on Tuesday, having slept Monday night at Carhaix. To see sunrise on the bridge again I'll have to get a move on and sleep at Brest.

« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2023, 10:01:52 pm »
Had a quick look at this

yup me too, over the Roc to Sizun but into Brest through Landernau & Guipavas on Stage 7 [ie using largely the return route from the most recent versions between Sizun and Brest]. 

Riders wont cross the bridge until after the Brest control then Stage 8 visits Plougastel and Loperhet using the old outward route and after Loperhet its all new for 2023 until Carhaix when the out and return routes meet after a 182km loop.
My confusion. In which case I think there will be far fewer stops for photos at the bridge. When riders have done 75km from Carhaix (and if it's daylight) nearly all stopped when I was there (about 8am Tuesday) with a Korean (I think) rider who had tagged onto me. In August, riders will be 'on a mission' heading out of Brest, homeward (Rambouillet) bound.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2023, 10:58:29 am »
There does look to be quite a lot of changes, which I will enjoy, having followed pretty much the same route in 2007, 11, and 15.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2023, 01:35:57 pm »
There does look to be quite a lot of changes, which I will enjoy, having followed pretty much the same route in 2007, 11, and 15.
Here's a post that
https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/la-route-et-le-parcours-2023/
In translation (commenting on the more or less scenic stages):
"We can see that the Breton stages from Tinténiac to Loudéac both outwards and return, and the stage Fougères to Villaines, exceed 1000m /per 100km: quelle surprise. Note the hillier stage: Brest to Carhaix with 1412m per 100km! As for the least demanding stages, we find Fougères - Tinténiac (both ways), Mortagne – Villaines in the outward journey and Mortagne to the arrivée: a pretty "cool" finalé . . . ."

« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2023, 01:47:20 pm »

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #18 on: 04 February, 2023, 08:41:18 pm »
Here's a post that
https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/la-route-et-le-parcours-2023/
In translation (commenting on the more or less scenic stages):
"We can see that the Breton stages from Tinténiac to Loudéac both outwards and return, and the stage Fougères to Villaines, exceed 1000m /per 100km: quelle surprise. Note the hillier stage: Brest to Carhaix with 1412m per 100km! As for the least demanding stages, we find Fougères - Tinténiac (both ways), Mortagne – Villaines in the outward journey and Mortagne to the arrivée: a pretty "cool" finalé . . . ."

As a a vedette, aiming to make Brest by midnight Monday, this works perfectly.  I've always had reasonable legs on the Tuesday morning, for the toughest section (Brest - Carhaix).  For those going for fast times (sub-6o hours) they will need to get back to Carhaix on the Monday night (in the early hours) - this stage will be particularly tough.  I guess the bulge will take it Tuesday afternoon, so may be the crux.

I'd suggest that riding a hilly 300 might be good practice.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2023, 02:26:38 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions or know the process of splitting the PBP route into 3 separate GPS files (or combine the official individual routes so that I have 3 files overall)?

I'd like not to have the garmin load half the route...and preferably not load each individual control stage as I go along.

Only way I'm aware of is to manually "create" the route myself and save it. I usually use Strava to create my routes (as I already have an account), but Strava Route Creator pretty useless with functionality. Does the premium ridewithgps allow you to combine multiple files?

I know I know...not a particularly major problem if there's not a more automated way.

« Reply #20 on: 10 August, 2023, 02:30:52 pm »
https://gpx.studio/ does what you want for free.

« Reply #21 on: 10 August, 2023, 04:15:20 pm »

Brilliant! Thanks for that. Super useful.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 12 August, 2023, 06:19:01 pm »

Nosy q: why 3 chunks?? 4 has always seemed the natural split to me!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 12 August, 2023, 06:21:28 pm »
Are the control locations anywhere in convenient digital form?
(i.e. to import to GPS, or online map thing)
Shouldn't need them, but ...

And are we expecting the usual 2 Secrets?
Nb I have barely looked at the official site, all this stuff may be there in plain sight...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 12 August, 2023, 08:39:09 pm »

Nosy q: why 3 chunks?? 4 has always seemed the natural split to me!

Basically breaking down to rough distances that work worked well on my 600s....ie. something between 300-400km chunks, that is convenient for sleeping.