Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pissing down again.
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by T42 on Today at 08:31:07 am »
Yes I did get a ride!.all the way to the a4 tescos against a strong gusty wind. And the rain caught me on way back. I am definitely slow  but it should come back soon   :)

Yay!   :thumbsup:
The Pub / Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Last post by T42 on Today at 08:30:20 am »
Ooops.

+1. 

When my daughter was at school they were asked one day to write down as many diminutives ending in -ette as they could think of.  One girl wrote salopette - which is French for overalls.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Last post by T42 on Today at 08:22:07 am »
Another question: why do the Navigators not feature in this version of the story? Talking to my son after the film, he was saying he didn't get why spice was so important, which is a fair question - in the books (and the Lynch version) it's made clear that spice is essential to the Navigators, and therefore essential to interplanetary travel, so it seems like a pretty major omission.

Shades of 3 Body Problem, where 90% of the physics is knocked out because it'd bore the punters.  "Oh, they'll never notice."  Whereas physics and logic are 90% of the books.

I was once in a forum where one member had worked in set design for the film industry.  He once wrote that producers are ruthless with plot lines if a film is getting long enough to bore a given percentage of its audience: they'd simply cut out a chunk because they "know" that most people would simply blame themselves for losing the thread.  IIRC he was particularly miffed because one set he'd sweated blood over had completely disappeared that way.

Oh, I'll watch the rest of 3BP when it appears. I just hope the spaceships don't make a noise.

Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by rr on Today at 08:19:39 am »
Wordle 1,014 4/6

🟨
🟨🟩🟨
🟨🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
As it is now, front and rear, thanks (again) to LEDs. Thinking of all the stripes and zig-zags and so on, often the entire width of the vehicle (European manufacturers very much in on it this time).
I'm pretty sure they were still 5W incandescent lamps, so probably a styling feature aimed at the US market, where rear lights were often humungous.
The Smart Super Flash was decent for brightness and battery life but unfortunately not light life, as it succumbed to rain and spray.

Anyway, this reminds me of what I heard from someone I used to work with, that in the '70s and '80s, you could always immediately distinguish a Japanese car at night because they had much bigger tail lights than the British and European makes. Which seems to have been true, but was it a (claimed) safety feature, some result of Japanese regulations, or just a styling decision? I expect the last.
OT Knowledge / Re: Anglepoise refurbishment
« Last post by Jurek on Today at 07:52:06 am »
Collectors item. Deffo.
I have some Anglepoise nut-and-bolt-ery, sitting in a drawer.
If you need it.

ETA - I'd get the shade shot / bead blasted, before having it stove enamelled.
LED blubs are the future....

Hi, do you still have the parts - I have two lamps missing minor parts - willing to buy them from you if you have them. Thx
I don't have much. What I have is pictured below. You are welcome to some or all of it.
Food & Drink / Re: The Bread Thread
« Last post by Arminius on Today at 07:45:48 am »
Thanks both!  :thumbsup: We've changed plans, and are going to make some German Easter pastries, but we'll definitely be making pizza another time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10