Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2482097 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7575 on: 04 January, 2015, 10:04:47 pm »
tektro cr720's  whatever 'pull' that is.  ???

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7576 on: 06 January, 2015, 05:55:20 pm »
the reason i asked because i use trp levers on my bike with old/short* pull calipers on one of my bikes and the brakes are not very effective (noticeable difference from my other bike which uses matching pair of levers/calipers) - in similar way if you'd used mtb v-brake levers on older road bike calipers.

*old pull refers to "slr", new pull to "super-slr" which has almost the same as v-brake pull

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7577 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:48:51 pm »
My trusty winter bike for several years, the much-missed Pinarello Sestriere, succumbed to internal rust in August, and there was only one real candidate for a replacement:

Much like the Sestriere, it's a version of a road frame they make with extra clearance (57mm drop brakes) and mudguard eyelets. No mention of it on the website and not very many made. Ordered in September and some stock finally arrived at the UK distributor the week before Christmas, and my friendly local De Rosa dealer grabbed one. By the end of the day, all the stock had gone. First aluminium bike I've had, and it certainly isn't as harsh as I was expecting (but then this isn't a £150 Chinese frame...) I did wonder about the wisdom of a white winter bike, but full SKS guards help keep things clean.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7578 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:14:47 am »
The newly refurbed/morphed Winter shopper. 1990 Raleigh Blueridge 531 All Terrain tubeset, acquired for free/karma from a very nice chap on www.retrobike.co.uk  :smug:

Built a new pair of all black dyno wheels, new Gilles Berthoud mudguards and a new rear rack. Old skool early 90s Campag Centaur gears and chainset/BB (apart from Shimano hub and cassette). Fortunately the original canti bosses are at 80mm V brake compatible centres, so have excellent, easy to set up and maintain V brake stoppage.

Upside down North Road handlebars on a long 130mm horrible looking 3TTT stem - so that will get replaced with a 130mm Nitto shortly.

Not sure about the black wheels - have ordered a silver SP PV8 dyno hub to build a new sparkly pair - will then decide  ::-) Pump will get moved. Have some clear 'helicopter' tape to replace the temporary cable tied dyno wiring.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/obswerve/sets/72157648805712932/

« Reply #7579 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:52:45 am »
In 1987, I bought a 531 Professional frame made by "MB Dronfield" from a bike shop in Sheffield. I built it up from a collection of parts bought here and there:
  • Wheels - Campagnolo hubs with Mavic MA40 rims, and stainless double butted spokes. These were in use on my Revell Romany touring bike at the time, and with a cassette change served on both bikes
  • Shimano 600 levers. I was using a set of these on the Revell and liked them, so bought a second set for this bike.
  • Shimano Ultegra front derailleur
  • Shimano 105 brakes
  • Campagnolo 980 rear derailleur
  • Shimano 105 chainset

Quite a mix, but I was working on the principle it was worth paying the money for the frame, as the components could be updated later. Sadly in 1993, I decided to sell it (N+1 problem).
A few weeks ago I was in John's bike shop, and decided to see if the buyer would be interested in selling it. When I contacted him, he said I could have it, so the same day my son went to his house and recovered it from his guinea pig shed. Although not ridden, the environment in the shed was clearly very dry, so there hasn't been much deterioration. I had some trouble getting the seat post out, and have yet to tackle the headset and bottom bracket due to lack of the proper tools (which had rotted away in my cellar). I will clean and lubricate and rebuild it in it's current form, then probably at the end of the summer strip it and get the frame repainted (I'll be going back to John's bike shop!). I will probably swap out the rear derailleur for the 105 model from the same period. I have bought some new MA40 rims on eBay, as the front wheel has a big buckle in it following an argument with a drain, and the rear has a hole corroded out on the brake surface.

Here is the frame in its current form:
IMG_1269 by +paul, on Flickr

« Reply #7580 on: 25 January, 2015, 11:20:11 am »
The newly refurbed/morphed Winter shopper. 1990 Raleigh Blueridge 531 All Terrain tubeset, acquired for free/karma from a very nice chap on www.retrobike.co.uk  :smug:

Built a new pair of all black dyno wheels, new Gilles Berthoud mudguards and a new rear rack. Old skool early 90s Campag Centaur gears and chainset/BB (apart from Shimano hub and cassette). Fortunately the original canti bosses are at 80mm V brake compatible centres, so have excellent, easy to set up and maintain V brake stoppage.

Upside down North Road handlebars on a long 130mm horrible looking 3TTT stem - so that will get replaced with a 130mm Nitto shortly.

Not sure about the black wheels - have ordered a silver SP PV8 dyno hub to build a new sparkly pair - will then decide  ::-) Pump will get moved. Have some clear 'helicopter' tape to replace the temporary cable tied dyno wiring.

I looked at the flickr set hoping to learn what the cable-ties on the forks and down tube were about... ???

Nice bike, BTW. Where do you get the paint and decals done?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7581 on: 25 January, 2015, 12:35:27 pm »

I looked at the flickr set hoping to learn what the cable-ties on the forks and down tube were about... ???

Nice bike, BTW. Where do you get the paint and decals done?

Thanks WJ. Cable ties are for dyno wiring. Have got some clear 'helicopter' tape which will replace them when I can be a**ed. Reynolds 531 decal from http://www.hlloydcycles.com/ I got some RALEIGH transfers for the downtube also, but think I'll leave them off. The powder coat 'aluminium' colour with clear top coat was done locally by Menai Powder Coatings for £70. Just tightened the loose old fashioned loose ball bottom bracket, moved the pump to the front of the seat tube, changed the naff looking 3TTT stem for a nice Nitto and swapped the North Road bends for another pair with more forward reach. Off out into the rain with all the wonderful protection of GB mudguards and the fantastic SKS rubber flaps  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7582 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:22:25 pm »

Ladles and Jellyspoons, allow me to present n+1, the latest addition to the stable.  No name as yet so it'll have to be just 'the red'un' to go alongside the 'blue'un', my long serving and longsuffering British Eagle 653 trainer-cum-tourer.
The red'un began life as half an itch to be scratched for my 50th birthday.  The the other half was to tackle Mont Ventoux which was duly accomplished on the 1st August last year on a hired Trek Domaine. The long, slow 3h 50minutes it took me from Badoin were without doubt the hardest 21km of my cycling life, but done it was and a personal palmares added.

Back to the first half.  Mrs653 asked what I wanted for my birthday and the reply was 'permission to build n+1´. With said permision granted, the search was on for a frame around which to hang some ideas.  I wanted a handbuilt frame from a well known builder, the aspiration of all club riders back in my day – the early 1980's - but one that I never achieved at the time. Better late than never.  That meant it probably had to be 531.  I wanted clearances for moderately wide tyres, say 32mm, and a comfortable fork rake. I won a fleaBay auction for a Roberts semi-touring frame and got it shipped out here to Spain.
The two innovations on n+1 were to be a single 38 tooth chainring so no front mech, coupled with an 11-34 cassette, and steering by a moustache handlebar.  These two may be faddy concessions but I have a yen to try something new having ridden on drops for decades, mostly on the hoods.  I've never had sti's and I don't get on with flat bars but numbness in the fourth and little fingers on my left hand has been becoming a problem.  I need to try alternatives and the moustache offers possibilities.  A bar end shifter takes care of gear duties.  The spec is the usual mixed bag of new buys and parts bin raids. Sputnik rims on 36 spoke Sora hubs are probably overkill but were chosen for abusable strength and versatility as they'll do some double duty on the tandem.  I like Sora stuff, so as well as hubs, it's got a Sora rear mech. The GS medium cage is rated as up to a 32 tooth max cog, but Shimano are said to be conservative in their ratings so with a tweak of the B screw it copes just fine with the two extra teeth on the 9-speed cassette. Teamed with a 38 at the front gives a range from 93” down to 30” which should handle most situations. Old school MKS cage pedals with toe-clips and straps complete the drive chain.
Braking is entrusted to Miche Performance dual pivot sidepulls, but the 57mm drop turned out to be about 2mm not long enough on a frame built for 27” wheels. Sheldon Brown style drop-bolts were needed to get a clear rim/brake block interface, but at the price of sacrificing mudguard clearance. This may call for some subsequent modding to remedy.  Levers are DiaCompe non-aeros to simplify the cable routing and maximise efficiency.
Initial set-up was with a Brooks-alike Alpha-One saddle that's already seen service on the blue'un. It looks cool and suitably retro but in spite of lashings of neatsfoot oil and hundreds of kms, so far shows no sign of blending itself to my anatomy. It'd look good in the photo though, but has already been substituted for another from the parts bin.
My LBS, chock-full of carbon framed 29ers, supplied all the ancillaries and built the wheels.  So taken was he by this oddity that he's documented it for his Facebook pages.  He'd also never seen a 'third hand' brake ajusting tool for sidepulls, so took a picture of that too and asked his FB followers to guess what it is.  Parked outside said LBS the other day, it was most gratifying to hear a local on a full-susser comment 'Que guapa' i.e 'What a beaut!'.  What sayeth the forum taste and style committee?

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #7583 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:02:00 pm »

View of the cockpit. Decathlon mini-LED looks like ET is sat on the moustache bars.  Chainline turned out better than expected.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7584 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:10:55 pm »
Not 100% my kind of thing, phil, but if it works for you, then great!

It's lovely frame, though and I hope you have many happy miles together.

Out of interest in Spain are you, if you don't mind me asking?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7585 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:25:57 pm »
Jury's still out on the 'tache bars while I'm still getting used to the different riding position. I love the bar end shifter though.

We're in the wild and wooly West, in Extremadura. Draw a line from Madrid to Lisbon and where it crosses the border is where you'll find us.  See below for a 'busy' country road round our way...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7586 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:45:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Lovely, lovely part of the world.

Wish I was over there, right now, riding my bike instead of writing documentation, fighting politics and other stuff...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7587 on: 27 January, 2015, 03:55:45 pm »
I think that's the reddest bike I've ever seen.

Lovely.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #7588 on: 27 January, 2015, 04:17:28 pm »
After I'd built it someone pointed out that the frame is in the colours of the Spanish flag.  But maybe all the added black bits of kit make it more Belgian.  The former's more appropriate here though.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7589 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:27:41 am »
My "Inheritance" off my Uncle Pete.

Not to do something about his attempt to cover up that trendy pink paintwork.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7590 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:28:33 am »
It's certainly a unique colour scheme.
Getting there...

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7591 on: 21 February, 2015, 07:01:11 pm »
This hasn't hit my hot spot :(  - anyone want a 1990 Raleigh Blueridge 531 All Terrain frame and forks ONLY (zero original rust or problems), freshly powder coated silver in late December by John the man (Menai Powder Coatings) and looks like a wet paint finish because of his skill.

£115 posted

I have something more suited to slope - ing backwards - an '87 Raleigh Avanti 531 72º x 22½ " jobby, which has just been sent off to Ellis Briggs for the full treatment  :thumbsup:

Loads of pics of the original and slope-ified subsequence

« Reply #7592 on: 25 February, 2015, 11:54:44 pm »
This was intended to carry me around various long rides this year, but I fear my activities are curtailed for a week or three as it cast me upon the tarmac last Tuesday. However, for the sake of recording the almost current iteration of the Spa audax here are a few pictures and some build spec.

58cm Spa Audax frame with Surly Pacer forks and Orbit MX headset

Ultegra SL triple groupset 52/39/30 with 12-30 6700 cassette and 6700 triple shifters.

Shimano BR650 brakes.

Wheels are Exal LX17 on Shutter Precision dynamo front hub and Hope RS Mono rear. 32 spoke. Schwalbe One Tubeless tyres

Bars are something Ritchey and seatpost is a heavy FSA item. Saddle is a Spa Aire Ti, plus an airy rack. Saddlebag is a Carradice College on special offer.

It's very black!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7593 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:02:46 am »
Very elegant but how rude of her to throw you orf like that!

Are you working on her people skills?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7594 on: 26 February, 2015, 01:39:45 pm »
Wheels are Exal LX17 on Shutter Precision dynamo front hub and Hope RS Mono rear. 32 spoke. Schwalbe One Tubeless tyres

Are you running tubeless on the LX17 rims or managing to fit a tube in the tyre? Either way, how has this combination worked out?   

« Reply #7595 on: 26 February, 2015, 03:50:52 pm »

Are you running tubeless on the LX17 rims or managing to fit a tube in the tyre? Either way, how has this combination worked out?

Yes, I'm running the Schwalbes Tubeless in 28c on the LX17 rims. I've only done 100 miles so far, but no obvious issues - I can't blame them for the fall, I think, and there was no pressure loss apparent afterwards. I've been a bit circumspect initially, even though the internet wisdom is that 'any rim is a tubeless rim with the right tyres'. Mine are sealed with a couple of layers of Stans yellow tape in 21mm width, have specialized valaves (£3 each from local store) and 40ml of Schwalbe Doc Blue sealant. They inflated OK - a bit of fiddling with the area around the valve on one - and stay inflated once the sealant has been shaken around the whole wheel. The valves don't seem quite as tight on these rims as on Pacenti SL23 or Kinlin XC279, but nothing to worry about with sealant in place. Running about 75lbs in the front and 80 to 85lbs in the back - I'm a bit heavy at the mo at just under 88kgs.

If you're local then you're welcome to have a look.

Mike

« Reply #7596 on: 26 February, 2015, 05:45:28 pm »
Interesting Mike, would be good to get an update when you've accumulated some more miles. Were you able to fit the tyres by hand or were levers required?

Having seen TG's good experience with tubeless I picked up one of his discarded Schwalbe One 25mm tyres whilst providing home support. I've since tried fitting it to an Archetype rim but found it very tight and was unable to get the second bead on by hand. The prospect of having a puncture which didn't seal and not being able to re-fit the tyre after installing a tube have put my tubeless ideas on hold for now.

« Reply #7597 on: 26 February, 2015, 05:52:37 pm »
Interesting Mike, would be good to get an update when you've accumulated some more miles.

Ditto. Very interested in this tubeless malarkey.

Get well soon sojournermike.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7598 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »
Yes, tubeless, what advantages will I get over tubes and tyres which is tried, tested and works so well for me?

I shall be building a new bike this year so could go tubeless if it made sense.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7599 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:37:11 pm »
Yes, tubeless, what advantages will I get over tubes and tyres which is tried, tested and works so well for me?
On the road, probably little or no advantage that I can make out - in fact I'm utterly unconvinced that tubeless on road bikes is worth the hassle. 'Cross bikes are something of an edge case.

Off-road, however, tubeless is full of win largely because you can drop to silly low pressures and minimise the risk of pinch flats and other nastiness. On more technical terrain (and mud) this is a godsend. The only downside in situations where sealant alone won't do the job, you still need a tube to get going again.