Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2481989 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3750 on: 06 October, 2010, 05:31:59 pm »
Very nice, Pneumant, I really like that  :)

I was wondering how Cruds might look on a traditional steel bike: very decent indeed. Strange how the adjustment was needed: you'd think that the guard was just an arc that could be moved around anywhere around the wheel but the stay must put it off somehow. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3751 on: 06 October, 2010, 06:53:31 pm »
C'est beaux!

But I'm confused about one thing; you have an 8-speed block, which suggests something modern or it wouldn't fit, yet I thought Peugeot gave up on lugged frames some time in the '80s.

So, did you reset (or whatever the term is) the rear triangle, or iz i rong and Peugeot carried on making lugged frames much longer than I thought?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3752 on: 06 October, 2010, 07:22:08 pm »
126mm to 130mm is nowt, thats 2mm each side taking into account that not many lugged frames are accurate beyond a mm anyway and paint finish builds up.

People will fortell doom and gloom about frame failure and the need for ever so carefull cold setting micron by micron over a period of ten years so your frame does not burst into flames or some such nonsense but it's a load of complete bowlocks.

A new 130mm wheel will spring in just fine, a 531 frame gets more flex just being ridden.

« Reply #3753 on: 06 October, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »
C'est beaux!

But I'm confused about one thing; you have an 8-speed block, which suggests something modern or it wouldn't fit, yet I thought Peugeot gave up on lugged frames some time in the '80s.

So, did you reset (or whatever the term is) the rear triangle, or iz i rong and Peugeot carried on making lugged frames much longer than I thought?

Looking back through some old cycle mags it seems as if Peugeot were producing bikes under the 'Proffesionel' moniker up to 1994. RX100 is from the early 90's, guess they probably did not sell many of these!

« Reply #3754 on: 06 October, 2010, 08:47:47 pm »
Very nice, Pneumant, I really like that  :)

I was wondering how Cruds might look on a traditional steel bike: very decent indeed. Strange how the adjustment was needed: you'd think that the guard was just an arc that could be moved around anywhere around the wheel but the stay must put it off somehow. 

Thats what I thought too. And yes they look much better than I envisaged. They come in a box and TBH look like a partially assembled airfix kit and just as flimsy. Once assembled they are rigid enough and they are very nicely designed too.

I originally jammed in trad guards with P clips but it was to tight and noisy and after a faceplant earlier this year on the MTB I was wary of another potential A&E visit!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3755 on: 07 October, 2010, 12:30:01 pm »
Pneumant, that is flippin' gorgeous.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3756 on: 07 October, 2010, 12:53:18 pm »
Love the Shorter!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3757 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:05:22 pm »
Nice Peugeot! My first decent bike was a 531 Peugeot from c.1990, it never looked as nice as that though.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3758 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:45:16 pm »
Superb looking bike, Pneumant. Job well Done.

LEE

« Reply #3759 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:51:11 pm »
Its a steel  Peugeot (online auction site bargain)  :thumbsup:  Bit of a winter bitza cobbled together in the traditional way, essentially 105 8speed with Tiagra mechs & hubs, a Campag Mirage chainset & BB & my fave SPD pedals - Look S2R's. The 12cm 3TTT Stem & bars are heavily discounted NOS parts from On One. 

This bike replaces an alloy/carbon compact geometry 6 yr old Dawes which I have been  planning to out for sometime now.  Bike looks and rides superbly. Close clearances so Crud RR2's have been fitted, think they are really  designed for compact geometry as the rear guard looked all wrong on this bike so I had to lengthen the front facing and shorten the rear facing parts of the rear mudguard to sort/make it look right!  Easy enough to do though and used one of the spare bits of guard supplied. 

Oooo err!, that's really very nice.

Chris N

« Reply #3760 on: 12 October, 2010, 06:48:37 pm »
My new road bike:

Stiff, fast and light.  Lovely.

« Reply #3761 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:42:35 pm »
Looks very decent indeed  :) Enjoy.

Not a brand I knew of until I JFGI.

« Reply #3762 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:51:47 pm »
If you bring it on Saturday, I'll adjust the bars for you, son.   ;)

« Reply #3763 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:21:07 pm »
My new road bike:

Stiff, fast and light.  Lovely.

Nice one, although that is far from one in your stable now.  Did you extend  ;D

Chris N

« Reply #3764 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:30:16 pm »
Looks very decent indeed

Thanks. Recognise the chainset?

The frame belongs to my brother in law but he's lent it to me to try. He's had it for a few years but stopped using it a while ago. Boreas ceased trading a few years back but they had a very good reputation.

If you bring it on Saturday, I'll adjust the bars for you, son.   ;)

:P I reckon I do need to tweak them a bit - rotate the bars down a bit then lift the levers back up. Not by the weekend though, I'll be on the fixed.

« Reply #3765 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »
Thanks. Recognise the chainset?

Oh yeah  ;D

Hefty looking rear triangle. Krylions? Good tyre.

Chris N

« Reply #3766 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:40:04 pm »
Nice one, although that is far from one in your stable now.  Did you extend  ;D
The Giant has gone, though just up into the attic for now.
Hefty looking rear triangle. Krylions? Good tyre.
They're teardrop-shaped stays - about 20mm deep. It's pretty solid and I'm not sure what it's going to be like on a long ride.  I've been stockpiling parts for this since June, got the tyres cheap ages ago from CRC.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3767 on: 13 October, 2010, 10:52:10 am »
I wouldn't have thought a bike brand called Bore Ass would do so well, but that looks like a nice set up.
Getting there...

« Reply #3768 on: 17 October, 2010, 11:30:50 am »
New winter/commuter.

« Reply #3769 on: 17 October, 2010, 04:05:56 pm »
I've never seen a Gripshift set up like that before. You must like it, but what's the appeal over an STI, bar end or downtube shifter with drop handlebars?

« Reply #3770 on: 17 October, 2010, 04:10:38 pm »
I'd guess that his twistgrip is for a Rohloff hub therefore not available as any other type of shifter.

corshamjim

« Reply #3771 on: 17 October, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »
New winter/commuter.

Very nice! [jealous]  :thumbsup:

I like the way you have the twistshift.  I've heard of a bar end wotsit, but that looks less damage prone.

What's the frame?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3772 on: 17 October, 2010, 08:37:43 pm »
That's a lot of headtube!

Like the adaptor for the Rohloff, though I think I'd prefer a barend.
Getting there...

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3773 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:27:45 pm »
Looks like a Roholff shifter to me.

I contemplated fitting the shifter for my Nexus-8 hubbed Saracen like that, but in the end went for the pricey-but-worth-it Jtek bar end shifter, which works like a dream.  The only thing to remember is that it shifts in the opposite way to derailleur bar end shifter - caught me out once or twice in the early days with some frantic leg spinning...  :-[

« Reply #3774 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:42:19 pm »
its a thorn Raven Sport. The shifter did give me a few headaches, but that option seems to work well.  I have bar-ends on my audax bike: shifting using this is basically the same operation as bar-end. If your used to STI or Ergo you may find this hassle, I dont, though I have hit my knee off it a couple of times, I think thats the biggest issue I have with it. I'll trim down the head tube a bit in a few weeks, still finding my position on it. The ecc.b/b might mean I need to be able to adjust bars as well though. Am impressed with Tekro v-brake levers and edelux headlight.  Too early really to say much about the bike, but it seems to ride very well, if slow: I'm very happy with it so far.