Author Topic: Middle/lower budget internal hub gearing opinions (not rohloff for now)  (Read 4225 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Middle/lower budget internal hub gearing opinions (not rohloff for now)
« Reply #25 on: 04 December, 2019, 12:34:15 am »
I normally use a D-lock plus cable for the other wheel when about town.  That's on the low end of London standards, and vastly exceeds the standard of locking that's usual here in Birmingham (Poundland combination cable locks are gradually being replaced by D-locks around the toptube, thanks to an anti-bike-theft campaign by the university).  While I do have security QRs on my most-used bikes, I consider them redundant when there's a lock through the wheel.

If I'm using cafe or touring quality locking (basic cable or Bordo Lite[1]) in a low-risk situation, I consider anything that requires a tool to be sufficient for securing the wheels.  Standard wheel nuts would qualify.

[1] Marginally better than a cable lock, but has the psychological advantage of looking like a Bordo, for a fraction of the weight.

« Reply #26 on: 04 December, 2019, 12:35:08 am »
Pinhead is the other brand of locking wheel nut and is a bit cheaper than Pitlocks. If you stick "anti-theft bike wheel nuts" or somesuch into eBay you'll find a cheap clone of it.

I routinely lock my fixie up by just the frame/front wheel (which has an expensive-to-replace dynamo) and no one's nicked the back wheel yet, even though it just has standard wheel nuts.

Having an IGH might be an even better anti-theft device - too weird for proper bike thieves to fence, or for someone looking to "fix" a puncture* / replace a stolen wheel from their own bike to grab. Though I have seen photos of a Rohloff stolen by cutting the spokes from a locked wheel.

(* someone did this to a friend of mine recently. They kindly left behind their punctured wheel)

« Reply #27 on: 04 December, 2019, 01:38:02 am »
my most-used bike has a shimano sport series hub generator at the front, with a QR skewer, and if you were to scrape a thick layer of oily crud off the rear hub you would find a steel SA shell that says 'three speed' on it.  Oddly it has a control rod both sides of the hub; this is because it is a actually a five speed hub internal inside a 3s shell.  Anyway the bike gets locked up in public for an hour or two  most times I use it and I normally put the lock through the front wheel and I don't bother locking the rear wheel, figuring that the rear wheel is sufficiently awkward/oddball/unappealing that folk won't be keen to pinch it, whereas the front wheel is a different matter.   FWIW I have the front QR with the lever on the right side and I usually park the bike with the right side against a wall, so the QR lever isn't in an 'inviting' location either.  The bike has a well-cultivated air of age and neglect about it which means most crims would just walk right past it too.

I think I'd use a lock through both wheels (and/or security nuts of some kind) if the rear hub looked as if it came from this century though.

If the front wheel is QR then you can remove it and lock it to the rear wheel/frame using a single lock if you want to. However this does seem to encourage tamperers to do crazy things like pinch your QR skewer. 

cheers

« Reply #28 on: 04 December, 2019, 04:03:33 pm »
SJS cycles just posted today that they've got Nexus 8 hubs for £89.99 - don't know if these are the premium ones or not: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-internal-hub-gear-brake/shimano-nexus-sg8r31-8speed-rear-hub-wo-fittings-silver-36-hole/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 04 December, 2019, 04:32:14 pm »
No red line round the barrel that I could see, so probably not the premium version.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 04 December, 2019, 05:19:34 pm »
FWIW I have the front QR with the lever on the right side

This also means you're slightly less likely to forget to unplug the dynamo before removing the wheel.   :thumbsup:

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #31 on: 04 December, 2019, 05:25:35 pm »
Pinhead is the other brand of locking wheel nut and is a bit cheaper than Pitlocks. If you stick "anti-theft bike wheel nuts" or somesuch into eBay you'll find a cheap clone of it.
Thanks old chap that looks like the ticket  :thumbsup:
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #32 on: 04 December, 2019, 08:35:31 pm »
SJS cycles just posted today that they've got Nexus 8 hubs for £89.99 - don't know if these are the premium ones or not: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-internal-hub-gear-brake/shimano-nexus-sg8r31-8speed-rear-hub-wo-fittings-silver-36-hole/

SG-8R31 has plain bearings on the planet pinions;

Quote from: Sheldon Brown
The SG-8R20, SG-8R22 and SG-8R31 have plain bearings; the SG-8R25, SG-8R27 and SG-8R45, needle bearings. Among models with a roller clutch at the left side, the SG-8R30, SG-8R31, SG-8R35 and SG-C6000 have plain bearings; the SG-8R36, SG-8R55, SG-8R56, SG-C6010 and SG-C6060, needle bearings. All Alfine hubs has roller-bearing pinions

cheers

« Reply #33 on: 05 December, 2019, 10:30:34 am »
FWIW I have the front QR with the lever on the right side

This also means you're slightly less likely to forget to unplug the dynamo before removing the wheel.   :thumbsup:

yep, and that is the main reason why I started doing it that way.  I have recommended this approach to others several times for this exact reason.

It really shows just how 'fit and forget' hub dynamo lighting can be, doesn't it...?

cheers

« Reply #34 on: 05 December, 2019, 10:28:37 pm »
Interested to hear what the local has found for you. If it's an SA 8-sp, all is not lost. I've been running the X-RK8 on 26" wheels for 4k miles now. Needs something in the region of 33t chainring, which SA also do for peanuts. Twister isn't a problem and of course you don't have to gear down to stop, you can do it once stopped.

In a previous life I used to commute Kingston to Whitehall every day and only ever used 3 gears provided I avoided the steepest climb through Richmond Park. An SA 3sp would be good but choose your chainring carefully...
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #35 on: 05 December, 2019, 11:49:42 pm »
Prompted by this thread I've been exploring hub gear options for a commuter build.

Did you know that SA/SunRace are doing dual-drive hubs? Hmm. 30 ratios on one chainring...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #36 on: 05 December, 2019, 11:54:49 pm »
with three chainrings that makes 90 gears!  (and yes, folk have done that...)

I've not tried it on the SA hub as yet but you can now get some 'road' 11s cassettes which fit to 10s freehub bodies, which, if it works  would give 33 or 99 gears.... :o

BTW the SA hub uses a different cable pull from normal so that it can be worked using a MTB-type LH shifter.

cheers

« Reply #37 on: 09 December, 2019, 09:12:56 pm »

SG-8R31 has plain bearings on the planet pinions;

Quote from: Sheldon Brown
The SG-8R20, SG-8R22 and SG-8R31 have plain bearings; the SG-8R25, SG-8R27 and SG-8R45, needle bearings. Among models with a roller clutch at the left side, the SG-8R30, SG-8R31, SG-8R35 and SG-C6000 have plain bearings; the SG-8R36, SG-8R55, SG-8R56, SG-C6010 and SG-C6060, needle bearings. All Alfine hubs has roller-bearing pinions

cheers

I can't make head or tail of these references and would assume that this is a plain bearing hub but someone might like to confirm this. This is the site where I got my SA 5 speed and the translation at least as far as the french version is concerned is a bit suspect. There are other (mainly 7 speed) hubs that might be of interest, depending on the pre/post election exchange rate.
https://hollandbikeshop.com/fr-fr/roues-de-velo/moyeux-arriere/moyeux-arriere-nexus/shimano-nexus-moyeu-arriere-36-trou-8v-roller-brake-argent-560096/

« Reply #38 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:40:56 pm »
that is a terrible listing; it doesn't say which model hub you might get and it lists it as 8 speed and 7 speed on the same page.  The picture -if that means anything at all, which often it doesn't- is of an 8s hub, most likely with plain bearings on the planet pinions. 

cheers

« Reply #39 on: 09 December, 2019, 11:41:32 pm »
that is a terrible listing; it doesn't say which model hub you might get and it lists it as 8 speed and 7 speed on the same page.  The picture -if that means anything at all, which often it doesn't- is of an 8s hub, most likely with plain bearings on the planet pinions. 

cheers

Then the 5600096 bit doesn't mean anything to you either. That is reassuring! (Means that I feel slightly less stupid!) That hub is linked from here
https://hollandbikeshop.com/fr-fr/roues-de-velo/moyeux-arriere/moyeux-arriere-nexus
from which I had rather assumed it would be an 8sp.
This is the shop that when I ordered my SA SRF5 I didn't know what or how much was coming before I opened the box. But they are quite cheap if you work in euros