Author Topic: A can of lonely beans.  (Read 5698 times)

ian

Re: A can of lonely beans.
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:50:30 am »
Today I learnt about (but haven't eaten) injera. It's a sort of sourdough chapatti, at least in the way it functions: to soak up and pick up other food. It also serves as a plate. Don't know if things like that are an aid to "neat eating"?

I was in Ethiopia last year, it's standard to pile a couple of rolled injera on your plate, from which you tear off random pieces to scoop up your food (usually a variety of stews, meat-free during fasting). I find them a bit of an acquired taste, they have a bit more of a lactic sourness that you might expect.

The honey wine (tej) can be quite potent.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #26 on: 07 March, 2019, 12:40:56 pm »
Today I learnt about (but haven't eaten) injera. It's a sort of sourdough chapatti, at least in the way it functions: to soak up and pick up other food. It also serves as a plate. Don't know if things like that are an aid to "neat eating"?

Looks texture-wise not unlike a Staffordshire oatcake.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

ian

« Reply #27 on: 07 March, 2019, 12:48:19 pm »
It's like a thin crumpet. It's more dosa than chappati though, they pour out the liquid dough onto the hotplate. Proper injera is made with teff (cheaper stuff can be made with barley or sorghum).

« Reply #28 on: 07 March, 2019, 12:59:45 pm »
In Dubai last November I was educated on the ways of eating wet foods with nothing but a chapatti in a local Indian café of the type only frequented by migrant workers. I kind of managed it but it was greatly to the amusement of the locals, the restaurant owner and my colleague who was trying to educate me.

I ate it all - despite the searing chilli heat

That's not much to do with beans though. They are lovely and I'm a heathen because I serve them with battered cod and chips.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 07 March, 2019, 01:18:22 pm »
It's like a thin crumpet. It's more dosa than chappati though, they pour out the liquid dough onto the hotplate. Proper injera is made with teff (cheaper stuff can be made with barley or sorghum).
It reminds me, in looks, of ragi dosa, which – probably coincidentally (is teff a sort of millet?) – is made from a type of millet that apparently originated in Ethiopia (but has been grown in India for about 3,000 years too).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 07 March, 2019, 01:32:25 pm »
I think teff is fairly unique to the region, but it's a grain so functions in much the same way. It has an earthier texture. It used to be illegal to export teff from Ethiopia, but I think that has changed. It's also cultivated in other places now to cater for the needs of Ethiopian/Somalian diaspora. I first had Ethiopian food in Washington DC, where it is pretty common.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 07 March, 2019, 02:04:06 pm »
Maybe I shall check the Somalian shops on Stapleton Road for teff!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 07 March, 2019, 02:40:34 pm »
This is what I should have bought.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #33 on: 07 March, 2019, 05:47:59 pm »
I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some time ago. Pay attention at the back.

You wanted a can of leany beans. A can of lonely is stuffed past a tube.